Criminology/Sociology majors

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ATR
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:18 pm

Re: Criminology/Sociology majors

Postby ATR » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:07 am

cubswin wrote:They really don't test straw man on the LSAT.

Your smartassery fits in well here.
Craplicant150 wrote:I'm really not trying to make friends on these boards. I consider myself to be a Robin Hood type. My goal is to prove to the world that a person with average/poor numbers can be a great lawyer.

Perhaps your efforts would be much better utilized by preparing for and dominating the LSAT. That way you can attend a reputable school and make things easier on yourself when it comes time to secure employment. But, hey, what do I know?

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Criminology/Sociology majors

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:50 am

  • "Craplicant"
  • 150 LSAT
  • 2.7 GPA
  • ~25 Posts
  • Overenthusiastic about being logical on a message board
  • Wants to prove to all of us (for some reason) that he can succeed
  • Brought up Giovanni Carmazzi
  • EDIT: Brought up both Giovanni Carmazzi and Robin Hood in the same thread

Flame?

User avatar
Malcolm8X
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:56 pm

Re: Criminology/Sociology majors

Postby Malcolm8X » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:09 pm

Bill Gates never said this just so you know...[/quote]

Yes it's fiction. But it's still a real quote. Apparently it's from an author, Charles Sykes.

User avatar
gobucks101
Posts: 1445
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Criminology/Sociology majors

Postby gobucks101 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:03 pm

FalafelWaffle wrote:
gobucks101 wrote:When you get to law school you will realize that a significant portion of those criminology/sociology majors planned all along to go to law school with the intent of becoming an ADA. You also should realize that the DA office will think that applicant is better than your agriculture/economics major. Sorry.


I can't imagine them thinking a Criminal Justice major is better. Maybe it demonstrates serious interest, but other than that, that's what law school's for right? F



I'm a 2L with a field placement in one of the metro counties and have offers from 3 other metro DA offices for the summer. I'm going to be light on you and your condescending tone because you don't know what you are talking about. I have had numerous conversations with the hiring ADAs in several offices. DAs number 1 interest when looking to hire is that you are interested in the work. Part of that interest is what you did in undergrad. Too many people apply to the DA because they missed out on the Big Law boat and they want to weed out people who don't have interest. Having a criminology major helps to show it was a piece of the long term plan and showing you wanted to be an ADA all along is ABSOLUTELY the number 1 thing they look for. F.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Criminology/Sociology majors

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:10 pm

What would OP do if confronted with a person who got a better GPA in a more impressive major AND beat him on the LSAT while also working full-time? Such a chimera shouldn't be possible, amirite?

User avatar
mrtoren
Posts: 733
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: Criminology/Sociology majors

Postby mrtoren » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:33 pm

Craplicant150 wrote:They really don't test anythinig on the LSAT...

IMHO, if you don't like the system, then you're not cut out for law. Its not about sticking it to the man. You either failed to prepare and refuse to recognize that or you're not cut out for law. Not everyone is. Go back to whatever job you claim to have had and toss your visions of grandeur out the door..

User avatar
Marionberry
Posts: 1302
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Re: Criminology/Sociology majors

Postby Marionberry » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:35 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
  • "Craplicant"
  • 150 LSAT
  • 2.7 GPA
  • ~25 Posts
  • Overenthusiastic about being logical on a message board
  • Wants to prove to all of us (for some reason) that he can succeed
  • Brought up Giovanni Carmazzi
  • EDIT: Brought up both Giovanni Carmazzi and Robin Hood in the same thread

Flame.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Criminology/Sociology majors

Postby beachbum » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:38 pm

Ya'll be gettin trolled.

User avatar
FalafelWaffle
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:07 pm

Re: Criminology/Sociology majors

Postby FalafelWaffle » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:00 pm

gobucks101 wrote:
FalafelWaffle wrote:
gobucks101 wrote:demonstrates serious interest



I'm a 2L with a field placement in one of the metro counties and have offers from 3 other metro DA offices for the summer. I'm going to be light on you and your condescending tone because you don't know what you are talking about. I have had numerous conversations with the hiring ADAs in several offices. DAs number 1 interest when looking to hire is that you are interested in the work. Part of that interest is what you did in undergrad. Too many people apply to the DA because they missed out on the Big Law boat and they want to weed out people who don't have interest. Having a criminology major helps to show it was a piece of the long term plan and showing you wanted to be an ADA all along is ABSOLUTELY the number 1 thing they look for. F.


Thanks for being light on me, oh wise and magnanimous Two El. No shit what you did in undergrad (assuming you're coming from undergrad that is) is important. As I addressed in my comment, (which if you found condescending, you need to chill and buck up, among other things) of course it demonstrates interest. While I didn't major in Criminal Justice, I think my work experience and volunteering demonstrates that I am serious about an ADA career path. My POINT was that a CJ major can help demonstrate sincerity (in that you're not just applying because you didn't get biglaw), but that it's just one means of doing so, and in no way inherently "better," than, say, my own related work experience. Never in my life have I heard anyone say that a course of study counts more than work experience. I'm not saying that's what you implied-but that's what I was getting at, and which you seemed to take issue with. But thanks for going "light" on me, you're a condescending ass yourself.

bhan87
Posts: 850
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:08 pm

Re: Criminology/Sociology majors

Postby bhan87 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:07 pm

By the way I think it should be mentioned that law schools hate seeing criminal justice (or any other vocational degree) as your major.

User avatar
gobucks101
Posts: 1445
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Criminology/Sociology majors

Postby gobucks101 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:14 pm

gobucks101 wrote:
FalafelWaffle wrote:
gobucks101 wrote:When you get to law school you will realize that a significant portion of those criminology/sociology majors planned all along to go to law school with the intent of becoming an ADA. You also should realize that the DA office will think that applicant is better than your agriculture/economics major. Sorry.


I can't imagine them thinking a Criminal Justice major is better. Maybe it demonstrates serious interest, but other than that, that's what law school's for right? F


Seriously guy? Your response was that a criminology major (4 year BA not the vocational degree bhan) would not be considered better than an agriculture/economics major, followed by a douchebag F grade. Where in your post did you bring up work experience? Where in your post did you bring up volunteer experience? Of course other ways of showing interest can be greater than what you majored in which is the number one thing they look for. Since your rebuttal was only including the "demonstrates serious interest" while ignoring the part where you downplay it, I included the whole quote for you to read again. Aside from that, I do have some experience in the local DA Appellate Division if anyone on this thread has questions about it and will be in the trial division over the summer. Feel free to PM if you are interested in DA route




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dan9257, historyengland95, sethnoorzad and 4 guests