Criminology/Sociology majors

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Craplicant150
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:48 am

Criminology/Sociology majors

Postby Craplicant150 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:26 pm

I find it hard to believe that Law Schools would rather take a person who coasted through their college career studying Criminology/Sociology at a 3.5 plus clip, vs someone who suffered through a difficult subject like Agricultural Economics at a e 2.7 clip.

I also don't like how they feel that the LSAT is the great equalizer. Any test in which studies indicate that a minority as at an innate disadvantage shouldn't be called an equalizer.

It's obvious that the Law School path is to:

-BS your way through college by pursuing a degree that is not attractive to potential employers, but yields a high GPA
-Dedicate your inherent year of unemployment to LSAT study


Idk....

It seems to me that Candidate A"

Someone with a 2.7/150 LSAT who was able to parlay his undergraduate degree into a full time job that pays 60K per year first year out of college is more impressive than

Candidate B

3.7/158 Criminology major who is currently working a crappy part time job....

I don't want to hear hourly work either.....

When you have a real job (I actually have two), you have responsibility, and that job has to be your first focus. LSAT preparation is secondary.

Anyway... It's amazing how admission counselors find some unemployed loser to have better "credentials" than me.

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: Criminology/Sociology majors

Postby rebexness » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:32 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cubswin
Posts: 618
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: Criminology/Sociology majors

Postby cubswin » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:35 pm

Craplicant150 wrote:It seems to me that Candidate A"

Someone with a 2.7/150 LSAT who was able to parlay his undergraduate degree into a full time job that pays 60K per year first year out of college is more impressive than

Candidate B

3.7/158 Criminology major who is currently working a crappy part time job....

I don't want to hear hourly work either.....


I am assuming you are candidate A. If it makes you feel any better, Candidate B shouldn't go to law school either. HTH

AppsAbound
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:04 am

Re: Criminology/Sociology majors

Postby AppsAbound » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:36 pm

You don't have any questions, you just wanted to complain, right?

Some people have jobs and prepare well for the LSAT

And admissions counselors are looking at GPAs/LSAT scores but also a few other things. Activities, essays, etc. Perhaps your poor attitude came through in your essay....

Craplicant150
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:48 am

Re: Criminology/Sociology majors

Postby Craplicant150 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:37 pm

rebexness wrote:Keep the 60k job then. Its probably more than law school will get you.


Unlike a lot of people on this board, I don't measure success on a monetary scale.

I want get into Public Service law, and eventually work in a DA's office as attorney. My current career path may lead to more money, but it coincide with my long term objectives.

BeenDidThat
Posts: 704
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:18 am

Re: Criminology/Sociology majors

Postby BeenDidThat » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:38 pm

There are a lot of employed losers.

HTH.

User avatar
Moxie
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Criminology/Sociology majors

Postby Moxie » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:40 pm

Shut up, retake your LSAT score, and get into better schools than hypothetical candidate B.

LSAT > GPA

Furthermore, what is/why should I be impressed by Agricultural Economics? Comparing two social sciences doesn't really make your point about majors being different in terms of difficulty.

Craplicant150
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:48 am

Re: Criminology/Sociology majors

Postby Craplicant150 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:42 pm

AppsAbound wrote:You don't have any questions, you just wanted to complain, right?

Some people have jobs and prepare well for the LSAT

And admissions counselors are looking at GPAs/LSAT scores but also a few other things. Activities, essays, etc. Perhaps your poor attitude came through in your essay....


Why would I use this forum as a source for answering my questions? If I had a question regarding admissions, I would contact a representative at the institution I am applying to.

The opinions of the message board gallery is nothing more than fool's gold.

cubswin
Posts: 618
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: Criminology/Sociology majors

Postby cubswin » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:43 pm

AppsAbound wrote:You don't have any questions, you just wanted to complain, right?

Some people have jobs and prepare well for the LSAT

And admissions counselors are looking at GPAs/LSAT scores but also a few other things. Activities, essays, etc. Perhaps your poor attitude came through in your essay....


Another fine example of this fellow's delightful personality, taken from another thread:

Craplicant150 wrote: Today I get messages from University of Richmond and Washington University asking me to apply for free. I sent back an e-mail to both institutions stating that I won't give them the pleasure of rejecting me.


Guess he isn't used to getting fee waivers with his LSATTT score.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Criminology/Sociology majors

Postby Grizz » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:44 pm

cool story bro

socraticmethodman
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: Criminology/Sociology majors

Postby socraticmethodman » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:45 pm

I hate when people assume that criminology/sociology majors choose the major because it's easy. Maybe they picked it because it interested them? Aren't you supposed to choose a major that interests you?

User avatar
gobucks101
Posts: 1393
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Criminology/Sociology majors

Postby gobucks101 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:47 pm

When you get to law school you will realize that a significant portion of those criminology/sociology majors planned all along to go to law school with the intent of becoming an ADA. You also should realize that the DA office will think that applicant is better than your agriculture/economics major. Sorry.

AppsAbound
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:04 am

Re: Criminology/Sociology majors

Postby AppsAbound » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:47 pm

Craplicant150 wrote:
AppsAbound wrote:You don't have any questions, you just wanted to complain, right?

Some people have jobs and prepare well for the LSAT

And admissions counselors are looking at GPAs/LSAT scores but also a few other things. Activities, essays, etc. Perhaps your poor attitude came through in your essay....


Why would I use this forum as a source for answering my questions? If I had a question regarding admissions, I would contact a representative at the institution I am applying to.

The opinions of the message board gallery is nothing more than fool's gold.


And STILL complaining...

Craplicant150
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:48 am

Re: Criminology/Sociology majors

Postby Craplicant150 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:53 pm

socraticmethodman wrote:I hate when people assume that criminology/sociology majors choose the major because it's easy. Maybe they picked it because it interested them? Aren't you supposed to choose a major that interests you?


C'mon Law Boy....I expect better from you..

Where in my post do I suggest that the reason people select these majors is because they are easy?

Yes, you are supposed to choose a major that interests you.... College is one of the few opportunities in our life in which we are truly able to stretch our minds.

I regret selecting my major, but nonetheless.....Admission's counselors should realize that courses in economics, business, and science require students to master material that while practical, is uninteresting.

Obviously you are going to better if the material is interesting to you.
Last edited by Craplicant150 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Criminology/Sociology majors

Postby Grizz » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:54 pm

Craplicant150 wrote:I regret selecting my major, but nonetheless.....Admission's counselors should realize that courses in economics, business, and science require students to master material that while practical, is uninteresting.


So what the fuck are you going to do about it

MexiCali
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:01 pm

Re: Criminology/Sociology majors

Postby MexiCali » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:56 pm

I find it hard to believe that I lost in Texas Hold 'Em last night when I was holding pocket kings and my opponent had a 2 of hearts and a 4 of clubs.

You played the game wrong, brah. Stop bitching and figure out the way the system works, or stfu and gtfo.

Craplicant150
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:48 am

Re: Criminology/Sociology majors

Postby Craplicant150 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:59 pm

MexiCali wrote:I find it hard to believe that I lost in Texas Hold 'Em last night when I was holding pocket kings and my opponent had a 2 of hearts and a 4 of clubs.

You played the game wrong, brah. Stop bitching and figure out the way the system works, or stfu and gtfo.


Kudos!
Best post of the day....

User avatar
pinkzeppelin
Posts: 232
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: Criminology/Sociology majors

Postby pinkzeppelin » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:08 pm

.
Last edited by pinkzeppelin on Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Craplicant150
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:48 am

Re: Criminology/Sociology majors

Postby Craplicant150 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:46 pm

pinkzeppelin wrote:
Craplicant150 wrote:It seems to me that Candidate A"

Someone with a 2.7/150 LSAT who was able to parlay his undergraduate degree into a full time job that pays 60K per year first year out of college is more impressive than

Candidate B

3.7/158 Criminology major who is currently working a crappy part time job....


Sounds to me like Candidate A couldn't handle undergrad, and scored lower than the average test taker. He is either ignorant of the importance of the LSAT or unwilling to invest in his own future by sacrificing now. Neither trait bodes well for a successful career in law.

Sounds like Candidate B performed very well in undergrad and at least scored higher than 3/4s of the test takers.

I would admit Candidate B long before A.



Flaw in Reasoning...

You are concluding that those two explanations are the only possible explanations, without developing a premise to support it.

cubswin
Posts: 618
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: Criminology/Sociology majors

Postby cubswin » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:56 pm

Craplicant150 wrote:
socraticmethodman wrote:I hate when people assume that criminology/sociology majors choose the major because it's easy. Maybe they picked it because it interested them? Aren't you supposed to choose a major that interests you?


C'mon Law Boy....I expect better from you..

Where in my post do I suggest that the reason people select these majors is because they are easy?


I would say you suggested it here: "coasted through their college career studying Criminology/Sociology at a 3.5." And here: "BS your way through college by pursuing a degree that is not attractive to potential employers, but yields a high GPA."

The language isn't identical, but we all know what you meant.

User avatar
Malcolm8X
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:56 pm

Re: Criminology/Sociology majors

Postby Malcolm8X » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:02 pm

"Life is unfair, get used to it."
-Bill Gates

User avatar
FalafelWaffle
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:07 pm

Re: Criminology/Sociology majors

Postby FalafelWaffle » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:05 pm

gobucks101 wrote:When you get to law school you will realize that a significant portion of those criminology/sociology majors planned all along to go to law school with the intent of becoming an ADA. You also should realize that the DA office will think that applicant is better than your agriculture/economics major. Sorry.


I can't imagine them thinking a Criminal Justice major is better. Maybe it demonstrates serious interest, but other than that, that's what law school's for right? F

User avatar
FalafelWaffle
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:07 pm

Re: Criminology/Sociology majors

Postby FalafelWaffle » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:05 pm

Malcolm8X wrote:"Life is unfair, get used to it."
-Bill GatesMan Richer than God talking down to the huddled masses

User avatar
Marionberry
Posts: 1302
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Re: Criminology/Sociology majors

Postby Marionberry » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:13 pm

I thought this was gonna be a fun thread for us humanities majors to get together and reminisce about our leisurely undergrad experiences. I am disappointed.

User avatar
FalafelWaffle
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:07 pm

Re: Criminology/Sociology majors

Postby FalafelWaffle » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:15 pm

Marionberry wrote:I thought this was gonna be a fun thread for us humanities majors to get together and reminisce about our leisurely undergrad experiences. I am disappointed.


I'm ready to reminisce. Man, aren't humanities classes with exams the worst? Papers are where it's at...choose your own reading and all that. Christ, I really don't deserve to go to law school...




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: EvanWilliams2 and 6 guests