Social Networks and Law School Forum Snooping

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
atlantisdan

Social Networks and Law School Forum Snooping

Postby atlantisdan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:02 am

Just curious how likely selection committees are to checkout social networks and law school forum posts. I know that on LSN and even here at TLS that some people alter their stats or bio info because they are afraid a committee will see. Is this a legitimate concern or are people just being a little too paranoid?

Knock

Re: Social Networks and Law School Forum Snooping

Postby Knock » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:12 am

atlantisdan wrote:Just curious how likely selection committees are to checkout social networks and law school forum posts. I know that on LSN and even here at TLS that some people alter their stats or bio info because they are afraid a committee will see. Is this a legitimate concern or are people just being a little too paranoid?

Adcomms definitely read these boards, but I don't think it's a huge deal. They're busy and probably not going to take the time to match up your name to your applications. And even if they do, as long as you're behaving yourself, I doubt it will negatively impact you. Many people have the "better safe than sorry mentality," especially in the cycle. I wouldn't call it paranoid, it's just being on the safe side.

ETA: There's an Emory Law Admissions Staffer who has a thread and taking questions, and Dean Pless of UIUC posts openly here.

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:22 am

Knock wrote:
atlantisdan wrote:Just curious how likely selection committees are to checkout social networks and law school forum posts. I know that on LSN and even here at TLS that some people alter their stats or bio info because they are afraid a committee will see. Is this a legitimate concern or are people just being a little too paranoid?

Adcomms definitely read these boards, but I don't think it's a huge deal. They're busy and probably not going to take the time to match up your name to your applications. And even if they do, as long as you're behaving yourself, I doubt it will negatively impact you. Many people have the "better safe than sorry mentality," especially in the cycle. I wouldn't call it paranoid, it's just being on the safe side.

ETA: There's an Emory Law Admissions Staffer who has a thread and taking questions, and Dean Pless of UIUC posts openly here.

+1

atlantisdan

Postby atlantisdan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:26 am

Good to know. I'm not really worried myself, I just was noticing some of the pains others were taking to avoid any identifying statements or stats.

As far as facebook or similar sites go, I was a bit curious. I loosened up some of my security settings so some information could be seen that could benefit me but I left more detailed info such as blogs, certain albums, etc off limits.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”