Need honest advice about law school

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
GoBroncos22!

Need honest advice about law school

Postby GoBroncos22! » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:57 pm

Whats up all, havnt posted on here in a while. I am trying to decide what the hell I want to do and would appreciate some honest advice, whatever it may consist of. So I applied to 7 law schools and the ones I have any interest in (and got accepted to) are U of Oregon, U of Nebraska, U of Idaho. I currently live in Boise and know for a fact I want to stay in Boise to work, or at least Idaho in general-I know many firms in town love Idaho grads. At this point, I am ambivalent on law school in general. I went and took a tour/sat in on a class at Idaho and liked it, but didn't LOVE it. I got a scholarship offer to Idaho, so it would cost me very minimal. I might come out of there with $20,000 debt at max. I know that beyond Idaho, U of idahos law school probably doesn't hold much prestige.I think U of Oregon is the better school but unfortunately I did not get any scholly money and I would be looking at ALOT of debt coming out. And nebraska is basically a no-go, only because I dont want to move so far away to a place I have never been. I am 75% sure law school is what I want to do; the law interests me very much, I find it fascinating but I just keep double guessing myself that I can actually endure 3 more years of intense school. And having a political science degree does not help cause what the F am I going to do otherwise? And the job prospects in Boise is dismal with only an undergrad degree.....Anyways, anyone got some divine advice?

Knock

Re: Need honest advice about law school

Postby Knock » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:00 pm

GoBroncos22! wrote:Whats up all, havnt posted on here in a while. I am trying to decide what the hell I want to do and would appreciate some honest advice, whatever it may consist of. So I applied to 7 law schools and the ones I have any interest in (and got accepted to) are U of Oregon, U of Nebraska, U of Idaho. I currently live in Boise and know for a fact I want to stay in Boise to work, or at least Idaho in general-I know many firms in town love Idaho grads. At this point, I am ambivalent on law school in general. I went and took a tour/sat in on a class at Idaho and liked it, but didn't LOVE it. I got a scholarship offer to Idaho, so it would cost me very minimal. I might come out of there with $20,000 debt at max. I know that beyond Idaho, U of idahos law school probably doesn't hold much prestige.I think U of Oregon is the better school but unfortunately I did not get any scholly money and I would be looking at ALOT of debt coming out. And nebraska is basically a no-go, only because I dont want to move so far away to a place I have never been. I am 75% sure law school is what I want to do; the law interests me very much, I find it fascinating but I just keep double guessing myself that I can actually endure 3 more years of intense school. And having a political science degree does not help cause what the F am I going to do otherwise? And the job prospects in Boise is dismal with only an undergrad degree.....Anyways, anyone got some divine advice?

Coming out of law school with 20k debt isn't bad at all. I'd take that option. Or take a year off and work and see how you feel in a year.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:01 pm

If you want to stay in Idaho go for it, you don't really have anything to lose.

RockyIII

Postby RockyIII » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:15 pm

Definitely Idaho

bigben

Postby bigben » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:15 pm

Don't just base your decision on whether you think you will like law school. Base it on whether you think you will like being an attorney. And if so, what kind of attorney? Find out about all the different kinds of attorneys that exist in Boise. Figure out roughly how much money they make. Decide which of those you would like to be, if any. Next figure out what your odds are, coming from U of Idaho, of getting those various jobs. Talk to recent U of Idaho grads and current 3Ls there to try and get some help with that. Finally, compare risk, reward, opportunity costs, etc. Then decide!

For a quick example, I checked nalpdirectory.com and there are 3 Boise firms listed. These are presumably the highest paying legal employers in Boise. One pays $90k starting, one pays $87k starting, and one is unlisted. These firms are small and it looks like they don't even hire 1 person each per year. So your odds are not good there and you should look elsewhere for possible trajectories out of U of Idaho.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”