LSDAS GPA = BS? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
coldshoulder

Silver

LSDAS GPA = BS?

Post by coldshoulder » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:19 am

My GPA is dropping from about a 3.7 to a 3.5, a HUGE drop when it comes to the top 20. All my plans are pretty much completely screwed for the application process. Why does the damn LSAC bureaucracy screw students over like this? It seems like everyone I talk to gets a significant grade drop.

bhan87

Silver

Re: LSDAS GPA = BS?

Post by bhan87 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:23 am

Depends on your situation. Most unexpected drops come due to poor community college grades.

Personally, LSDAS's A+ policy saved my application so I really think this can go either way.

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:25 am

My school (University of Utah) doesn't use A+'s, and I have a community college math grade of a D from my junior year in High School that is literally dropping my GPA an entire .1
I'm just finding it extremely unfair, and not actually indicative of my academic performance.

BlueDevil2007

New

Post by BlueDevil2007 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:27 am

It worked to my advantage by about .05. But I can understand how people would be upset when it penalizes you. :(

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:29 am

coldshoulder wrote:My school (University of Utah) doesn't use A+'s, and I have a community college math grade of a D from my junior year in High School that is literally dropping my GPA an entire .1
I'm just finding it extremely unfair, and not actually indicative of my academic performance.
Overall, LSDAS is fine with me. My legit 3.8 shouldn't be on par with someone else getting a GPA that high through grade forgiveness and things like that. But I do agree that there are some problems with the system, like penalizing your situation for a pre-college grade.

A 3.5 does not screw you at all. Just get a great LSAT score. I know it sucks, but you're not in that bad of shape.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:32 am

Yeah, it just significantly limits my reach. I was looking for a 3.7 plus 168-170 for Cornell/Michigan/Georgetown, now I'm going to be looking top 50. A white male with no outstanding softs.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:34 am

coldshoulder wrote:Yeah, it just significantly limits my reach. I was looking for a 3.7 plus 168-170 for Cornell/Michigan/Georgetown, now I'm going to be looking top 50. A white male with no outstanding softs.
This is flat out false. A 168/3.5 will get you into many T20s with scholarship money. A 170/3.5 could get you into most of the lower half of the T14.

Seriously, in the words of the great Walter Sobchak, "Nothing is fucked, Dude."

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:35 am

Cheers to spending the next three months of my life preparing for the LSAT!
Thanks, sir.

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:36 am

coldshoulder wrote:Yeah, it just significantly limits my reach. I was looking for a 3.7 plus 168-170 for Cornell/Michigan/Georgetown, now I'm going to be looking top 50. A white male with no outstanding softs.
Plenty of people break the T-14 with that GPA, including one of my friends who got into NYU with a 3.55 (he did get a 177 fwiw). Don't lose hope yet! Just let it remind you that you need to KILL that LSAT!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:37 am

coldshoulder wrote:Cheers to spending the next three months of my life preparing for the LSAT!
Thanks, sir.
No problem. And you should be dedicating those 3 months to the LSAT either way. :lol: Most important test of your life up to this point, by a landslide.

Good luck.

girlonfire

Bronze

Post by girlonfire » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:39 am

bhan87 wrote:Depends on your situation. Most unexpected drops come due to poor community college grades.Personally, LSDAS's A+ policy saved my application so I really think this can go either way.
:oops: :oops: :oops:
3.94 turned into a 3.49

FML. or rather, FMLS

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:42 am

girlonfire wrote:
bhan87 wrote:Depends on your situation. Most unexpected drops come due to poor community college grades.Personally, LSDAS's A+ policy saved my application so I really think this can go either way.
3.94 turned into a 3.49

FML. or rather, FMLS
Man, that's messed up.

girlonfire

Bronze

Post by girlonfire » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:47 am

prezidentv8 wrote:
girlonfire wrote:
3.94 turned into a 3.49

FML. or rather, FMLS
Man, that's messed up.
Thats what i get for having too much fun in community college and not taking my liberal arts degree too seriously... I graduated w my AA w a 3.02. I blame the weed 8)
I havent gotten anything lower than an A- in two effing years... that's gotta count for something... I've heard that many schools look kindly on an upward trend in transcripts.. I really hope thats true.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:56 am

Meh, I have a 3.49 and I turned out all right. Cowboy up for that LSAT and you'll be all right, too.

I also have a strong upward trend, and it seemed to get me over the hump at my top-choice school. You're probably gonna take a hit with scholarship prospects, but in terms of acceptances, all is certainly not lost.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:59 am

beachbum wrote:Meh, I have a 3.49 and I turned out all right. Cowboy up for that LSAT and you'll be all right, too.

I also have a strong upward trend, and it seemed to get me over the hump at my top-choice school. You're probably gonna take a hit with scholarship prospects, but in terms of acceptances, all is certainly not lost.
"Strong upward trend" is a term that never fails to make me laugh on TLS lol

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:02 am

LSACpwned

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:05 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:
beachbum wrote:Meh, I have a 3.49 and I turned out all right. Cowboy up for that LSAT and you'll be all right, too.

Why's that?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

girlonfire

Bronze

Post by girlonfire » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:05 am

Last edited by girlonfire on Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:11 am

beachbum wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:

Why's that?
Its like opinions and assholes...

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:12 am

LSAC has the difficult but necessary job of standardizing GPAs/transcripts in a way that makes sense, and I think the system they have is a good one.Someone who gets good grades all through college should have a better GPA than someone who did poorly; you can't only count the grades you like or else everyone would have a 4.0 and GPAs would be worthless as a measurement of undergrad performance.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:13 am

Bildungsroman wrote:LSAC has the difficult but necessary job of standardizing GPAs/transcripts in a way that makes sense, and I think the system they have is a good one.Someone who gets good grades all through college should have a better GPA than someone who did poorly; you can't only count the grades you like or else everyone would have a 4.0 and GPAs would be worthless as a measurement of undergrad performance.
I agree with this. It fucked me, but it doesn't mean its a poor system.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:16 am

Bildungsroman wrote:LSAC has the difficult but necessary job of standardizing GPAs/transcripts in a way that makes sense, and I think the system they have is a good one.Someone who gets good grades all through college should have a better GPA than someone who did poorly; you can't only count the grades you like or else everyone would have a 4.0 and GPAs would be worthless as a measurement of undergrad performance.
+1.

Although I do think there are flaws, like counting a community college course you took as a junior in high school, I do agree with your general point. I have little sympathy for those who whine about bad grades in community college/freshman year/whenever. It's not LSAC's fault for someone being lazy or doing poorly their first few years.

Now the engineering folks on a harsh curve, that's who I really feel bad for!
Last edited by romothesavior on Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

M&A621

New

Post by M&A621 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:16 am

prezidentv8 wrote:
girlonfire wrote:
3.94 turned into a 3.49

FML. or rather, FMLS
Man, that's messed up.

Try uGPA 3.96 (magna cum laude) to LDAS GPA 3.22

Trying to bank on my URM status at this point. :roll:

girlonfire

Bronze

Post by girlonfire » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:16 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:
beachbum wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:

Why's that?
Its like opinions and assholes...
disagree. not everyone has one.
classes get harder as u continue ur education, and many ppl have the opposite trend. Also, senioritis sets in, and ppl begin to focus on job searching, grad school, etc, or just get lazy and grades suffer. Just sayin...

Verisimi

New

Post by Verisimi » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:19 am

Not to be a buzzkill, but I haven't seen any difference between my 'strong upward trend' double major gpa and the same in an easy major. Maybe it takes you over that hump, but it could just as easily be anything else.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”