Bad idea to only apply to one LSP 'admit' school?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Should I...

Add at least 1 more ADMIT school
44%
Add more than 1 ADMIT school
24%
Keep It the way it is, looks good
32%

Total votes: 25

lebesby

Bad idea to only apply to one LSP 'admit' school?

Postby lebesby » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:29 pm

Last edited by lebesby on Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bildungsroman

Re: Bad idea to only apply to one LSP 'admit' school?

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:33 pm

Don't rely on LSP. Just go to LSN and examine the graphs and number twins, and determine safeties, targets, and reaches. I'd recommend applying to at least a couple safety schools, but it's a waste of money to apply to a safety that you wouldn't attend even if it was the only school you got into so be sure to pick schools you'd like to attend.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:35 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Don't rely on LSP. Just go to LSN and examine the graphs and number twins, and determine safeties, targets, and reaches. I'd recommend applying to at least a couple safety schools, but it's a waste of money to apply to a safety that you wouldn't attend even if it was the only school you got into so be sure to pick schools you'd like to attend.

+1

I only applied to 2 admits and I have gotten into 5 schools.

TyrodTaylor

Postby TyrodTaylor » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:42 pm

I didn't apply to any admits. 2 admits and a waitlist, also a splitter. So its not a big deal. I also only applied to 3 schools

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:50 pm

I've been WLed/Rejected at 4 schools where I was marked "Admit".

TurtlesAllTheWayDown

Postby TurtlesAllTheWayDown » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:52 pm

I think it may be worth applying to safeties you wouldn't go to, if only to get scholly offers to leverage against safeties you would attend. I have had a pretty tough cycle and am in the unfortunate position of only getting into my safety without a money offer. It may be worth the $80 ($12 w/ a waiver) to strenghthen your chances at money if you have to go to your safety.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:53 pm

Hannibal wrote:I've been WLed/Rejected at 4 schools where I was marked "Admit".

ya i got fuckin rejected at one of my 2 admits lol

RockyIII

Postby RockyIII » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:55 pm

17 schools?

lebesby

Postby lebesby » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:00 pm

Last edited by lebesby on Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PomasThynchon

Postby PomasThynchon » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:00 pm

lebesby wrote:First of all, we all know that LSP isn't very accurate for splitters. This is what the guy who runs LSP says:

"Splitters are harder to predict since there is a point where being below a school’s 25% GPA is going to basically be the same to them when it comes to calculating the admission cycle’s 25% GPA (and its effect on rankings). That said, it’s worth noting that all schools weight the LSAT more than GPA (usually between 3.5x to 4.8x more than GPA), and there is a point where a poor GPA does hurt your chances, perhaps irreversibly at some schools. With the release of Version 2.6 on October 04, 2009, a revamped splitter algorithm was implemented that should make most splitter predictions only slightly more pessmistic (roughly 2% to 5% more pessimistic) than actual admission results would suggest."

SO, bearing that in mind, is it unwise of me, as a splitter, to only apply to one school that LSP has me at 'ADMIT'?

For next cycle, this is what my school choices look like in LSP:

2 "DENY"
3 "WEAK CONSIDER"
6 "CONSIDER"
5 "STRONG CONSIDER"
1 "ADMIT"

Don't apply anywhere you wouldn't want to go. Don't go to law school just to go to law school

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:02 pm

lebesby wrote:
RockyIII wrote:17 schools?

Well, if/when I decide to ED somewhere, I will probably nix off a couple of the other reaches that i pretty much stand no chance of without ED. so, in the end it will be more like 14/15. is that too many?

not really...it's a lot but I did 17 too

aspire2more

Postby aspire2more » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:10 pm

lebesby wrote:
RockyIII wrote:17 schools?

Well, if/when I decide to ED somewhere, I will probably nix off a couple of the other reaches that i pretty much stand no chance of without ED. so, in the end it will be more like 14/15. is that too many?

I applied to 14. I think it was a good decision.

JKill01

Postby JKill01 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:12 pm

I say cast the widest net possible, especially if you're only intending to go through one cycle. I would argue maybe the best way on to decide where to apply would be to find the LSAT and GPA medians at the schools you're interested in, and then go from there. That was probably the best predictor in my cycle in terms of where I got in, where I got waitlisted, and where I got rejected. I would also say that you should apply to several "admit" schools, ones where you are above the medians, because when you actually have to make the decision you're going to factor in merit scholarships and such, which is unpredictable and varies wildly.

aspire2more

Postby aspire2more » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:25 pm

JKill01 wrote:I say cast the widest net possible, especially if you're only intending to go through one cycle. I would argue maybe the best way on to decide where to apply would be to find the LSAT and GPA medians at the schools you're interested in, and then go from there. That was probably the best predictor in my cycle in terms of where I got in, where I got waitlisted, and where I got rejected. I would also say that you should apply to several "admit" schools, ones where you are above the medians, because when you actually have to make the decision you're going to factor in merit scholarships and such, which is unpredictable and varies wildly.

I agree with this. I also think you should consider where you got fee waivers when making your decisions. They are not really predictors of where you might get in, but they will help you from paying full price for applications (which especially sucks when you're applying to safeties.)

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:26 pm

I think it's a good idea to have 2 definite safeties that you would be willing to attend. And I really think 2 safeties is probably enough, but I don't suppose 3 or 4 could hurt. Everyone has alluded to the fact that you should only apply to schools you would actually go to, and I agree with that. Treat the safeties that way.

As for the number of schools you apply to, I tend to think that it is worthwhile to apply to more (especially) if you are a splitter (like I was). If you're a splitter, I genuinely think you should consider applying to 15-25 schools.

Fwiw, I applied to 3 safeties, 6 targets, and 15 reaches... I got into 2 of the reaches (with $), 2 of the safeties, and 0 of the targets. The 3rd safety was WL-WD. Case in point: it's helpful to cast your net wide as a splitter. Take that for whatever it's worth.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:56 pm

aspire2more wrote:
JKill01 wrote:I say cast the widest net possible, especially if you're only intending to go through one cycle. I would argue maybe the best way on to decide where to apply would be to find the LSAT and GPA medians at the schools you're interested in, and then go from there. That was probably the best predictor in my cycle in terms of where I got in, where I got waitlisted, and where I got rejected. I would also say that you should apply to several "admit" schools, ones where you are above the medians, because when you actually have to make the decision you're going to factor in merit scholarships and such, which is unpredictable and varies wildly.

I agree with this. I also think you should consider where you got fee waivers when making your decisions. They are not really predictors of where you might get in, but they will help you from paying full price for applications (which especially sucks when you're applying to safeties.)

Yeah, I applied to four admits (I think?), but they were all fee waivers. I'd have been a lot more choosey if I'd been paying.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”