would you go to Syracuse law paying full tuition? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Crazy4lawzzz

New

Re: would you go to Syracuse law paying full tuition?

Post by Crazy4lawzzz » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:23 pm

dakatz wrote:
Crazy4lawzzz wrote:I mean if you want to be a lawyer and this is the best school you got into...why shouldn't he/she go? I think YES you will suffer for years to come after law school if you are not at the very top of your class and will be bringing in a starting salary of 40k if you're lucky. But if you really want to do it...it's not like you're going to be homeless...you're just going to have to maybe bartend or live at home until you can find a real legal job...it will eventually happen. So yes, it is burdensome and definitely not a wise financial decision, but at the same time, if you want to be a lawyer...that's what it takes. Really have to look at what your goals are and why you want to go to law school.
And how exactly is said student supposed to pay back his loans while bartending and living at home while looking for a real job? And how is said student supposed to pay back 200K of loans + interest once he actually does get a legal job that pays 40K a year?
I think that's a great question. I have full loans and I am looking at approx. $1200/month in loan payments, I think. Though, I think banks will negotiate a more reasonable rate if you reallly can't pay the amount you owe, in lieu of going into deferral or default. THat's what it takes though...I mean you go for a high status profession, you might have to pay for that until the economy gets better. Also it's not like the economy is really any better in other professions...I mean again if you want to be a lawyer...just do it...and figure out how to find the right connections and get it done. NO ONE will spoon-feed you a job or security.

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:36 pm

Crazy4lawzzz wrote:
dakatz wrote:
Crazy4lawzzz wrote:I mean if you want to be a lawyer and this is the best school you got into...why shouldn't he/she go? I think YES you will suffer for years to come after law school if you are not at the very top of your class and will be bringing in a starting salary of 40k if you're lucky. But if you really want to do it...it's not like you're going to be homeless...you're just going to have to maybe bartend or live at home until you can find a real legal job...it will eventually happen. So yes, it is burdensome and definitely not a wise financial decision, but at the same time, if you want to be a lawyer...that's what it takes. Really have to look at what your goals are and why you want to go to law school.
And how exactly is said student supposed to pay back his loans while bartending and living at home while looking for a real job? And how is said student supposed to pay back 200K of loans + interest once he actually does get a legal job that pays 40K a year?
I think that's a great question. I have full loans and I am looking at approx. $1200/month in loan payments, I think. Though, I think banks will negotiate a more reasonable rate if you reallly can't pay the amount you owe, in lieu of going into deferral or default. THat's what it takes though...I mean you go for a high status profession, you might have to pay for that until the economy gets better. Also it's not like the economy is really any better in other professions...I mean again if you want to be a lawyer...just do it...and figure out how to find the right connections and get it done. NO ONE will spoon-feed you a job or security.
Though I agree that no one will spoon-feed you a job, going into law is not a very worthwhile investment for most. Even before the economic meltdown, law schools were producing too many lawyers. Do NOT go to law school thinking it's "not any better" elsewhere and you'll just rough through it hoping for a job a few years after graduation. That's a $200,000 bet not worth taking.

Crazy4lawzzz

New

Post by Crazy4lawzzz » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:40 pm

you live once.

Crazy4lawzzz

New

Post by Crazy4lawzzz » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:43 pm

I saw if the name of your school isn't embarassing to the tongue, then just go for it. Being a lawyer is prestigious and I think thats a factor.

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:45 pm

Crazy4lawzzz wrote:you live once.
Which is why you don't want to spend it with bone crushing debt.

I can think of plenty of other things a lot more entertaining than law school you could spend $200,000 on.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mez06

Bronze

Post by mez06 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:48 pm

mrtoren wrote:Well, they recently broke into the top 100 and, by all accounts, are focusing on climbing even higher. Are they a good choice for the New York market? No. New York is full of top name law schools and they draw in some of the best lawyers from around the country. That being said, the current Vice President of the United States is an alumni of Syracuse Law as well as his Delaware A.G. son, Beau. So if you plan to take your Syracuse law degree outside of the state, then I think its a pretty good deal. In three years, the school will probably be nearing the top 50 and the prominent name that Syracuse carries in general will benefit you. If you can get into another higher ranked school do it, but Syracuse is a decent choice for free. Your competence after law school will be the deciding factor in finding a job.
Prominent? Don't get carried away big guy.

almightypush

Bronze

Post by almightypush » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:02 pm

mrtoren wrote:Well, they recently broke into the top 100 and, by all accounts, are focusing on climbing even higher. Are they a good choice for the New York market? No. New York is full of top name law schools and they draw in some of the best lawyers from around the country. That being said, the current Vice President of the United States is an alumni of Syracuse Law as well as his Delaware A.G. son, Beau. So if you plan to take your Syracuse law degree outside of the state, then I think its a pretty good deal. In three years, the school will probably be nearing the top 50 and the prominent name that Syracuse carries in general will benefit you. If you can get into another higher ranked school do it, but Syracuse is a decent choice for free. Your competence after law school will be the deciding factor in finding a job.
wow... some seriously life-crushing advice being tossed around in here.

OP, the answer is no, no, a thousand times no!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:02 pm

OP
SU sticker is 45k in tuition and fees
plus 200 cost of attendance
roughly 65k a year
65+ 65+65= 195 K total after 3 years ( plus interest)
im not including your undergrad loans- but if yo uhave them, they will be added to the total and they will be incurring interest as well.
That is the cost of a lot of fantastic schools( And even then- a lot of people will be wary of going at full price). At 195,000 you can purchase a very very very nice house in western new york. You can sell the house( or go bankrupt) but you cant sell your education or file for bankruptcy

Its really up to you. Personally- I say no ( they also have a harsh curve btw). I have been offered a great scholarship there, and I wil lmore than likely turn it down.
If you are a new york state resident- and want to stay in new york state- try to get into Buffalo. At their state tuition- you are looking at 120k in debt for all 3 years ( including cost of attendance). Right of the bat you are saving $75,000. Thats a serious chunk of change. IF you have a guarenteed job lined up, a big bank account- then it could work. But i would say your best bet would be to step back, re consider your options- and do everything in you power to enhance your application ( LSAT and personal statements are the easiest things to fix).
Yes SU has a big name- for basketball, lacrosse, communications, and football( and thats still in doubt). Its a great communications school but as a law school it can do better.

nshapkar

Gold

Post by nshapkar » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:09 pm

dakatz wrote:

word.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:13 pm

OP: My neighbor is an alum of SU Law and is a practing lawyer. His words of advice- only go there if you got a guarenteed scholarship that puts the tuition in the ballpark of the state school. A lot of firms will see the debt of SU and assume you are either going to be over priced ( you will need to make a lot of money) or simply using them to get experience to practice. He also let me know that it took him until his mid 50s to pay down the loans- even as a made partner ( he also wanted to buy a house and raise his kids in one- so he had to put that on hold until he could afford the payments on top of his loan payments). If you want to stay in WNY- the state school has a much better reputation and with the lower tuition costs- will afford you more flexibility in the job search.

Some get to NYC- most dont. Remember NYC is packed full of students wanting to practice there. Its very competitive- and very expensive to live in.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:15 pm

almightypush wrote:
wow... some seriously life-crushing advice being tossed around in here.

OP, the answer is no, no, a thousand times no!
Yous bein trolled

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:41 pm

One of the worst posts on here in awhile, congrats!

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:46 pm

mez06 wrote:
Prominent? Don't get carried away big guy.
Lol I said the same thing. I honestly forget they have a school, I just know a college hoops team.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:15 pm

Crazy4lawzzz wrote:Being a lawyer is prestigious and I think thats a factor.
lol put down the remote dude!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”