UPenn fee waiver given in March?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lalu

UPenn fee waiver given in March?

Postby lalu » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:19 pm

I just received a fee waiver from UPenn today and it's way past the application deadline. I'm confused why they sent me one now...? My numbers are at the median. I would call but their office is closed. Anyone have an idea?

lemoned88

Re: UPenn fee waiver given in March?

Postby lemoned88 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:20 pm

meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee tooooooo

Weird! Mine are at/below the median. I think it's a last call to boost rankings cause there is no way they are accepting people this late in the game!

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:42 pm

Call & ask. Applications are down this year & some law schools have extended their deadlines to those qualifying for fee waivers, while others have just extended their deadlines.

amers73

Postby amers73 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:44 pm

Got the same fee waiver also. Sitting here debating whether to write that second essay.

mths

Postby mths » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:45 pm

Got one from Harvard in Feb last year...sometimes an administrative error is just an administrative error

lalu

Postby lalu » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:22 am

I wrote the extra essay today, figured $12 is worth finding out...I already have a seat deposit due in a month though, I wonder how long UPenn will take to make the decision?

UtahPhi

Postby UtahPhi » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:31 am

Got the same email today as well. I definitely do not think it is an "administrative error", but I really have no idea of the purpose. Maybe they have some deal with LSAC for profit-sharing on the $12 the charge...

nshapkar

Postby nshapkar » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:52 am

lemoned88 wrote:meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee tooooooo

Weird! Mine are at/below the median. I think it's a last call to boost rankings cause there is no way they are accepting people this late in the game!

Don't know why, but I really thought you were going to say meeeeeeeow.

Taffybear2

Postby Taffybear2 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:54 am

UPenn fee waiver today for a 3.6 and a 164... definitely trying to boost rankings

lemoned88

Postby lemoned88 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:50 pm

nshapkar wrote:
lemoned88 wrote:meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee tooooooo

Don't know why, but I really thought you were going to say meeeeeeeow.

lol....

And yeah, my numbers are too low to get in, so I don't think I'm gonna bother.

lalu

Postby lalu » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:10 am

I just realized I was an idiot and threw away all of Penn's brochures/letters a few months ago. I got so used to getting them from schools I never heard of and forgot the UPenn goes by Penn Law instead of UPenn...how embarrassinggg. If I was less absentminded I would have just applied earlier! Anyone going to apply because of the fee waiver? I just sent mine in today.

amers73

Postby amers73 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:47 am

lalu wrote:I just realized I was an idiot and threw away all of Penn's brochures/letters a few months ago. I got so used to getting them from schools I never heard of and forgot the UPenn goes by Penn Law instead of UPenn...how embarrassinggg. If I was less absentminded I would have just applied earlier! Anyone going to apply because of the fee waiver? I just sent mine in today.

Not applying, I have a snowball's chance in hell at an acceptance. Even if a miracle happened, I cannot afford to pay sticker at Penn and will not qualify for need based aid.
with your #s at the medians you'll prob have a decent shot. Good luck!

lalu

Postby lalu » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:31 pm

amers73 wrote:
lalu wrote:I just realized I was an idiot and threw away all of Penn's brochures/letters a few months ago. I got so used to getting them from schools I never heard of and forgot the UPenn goes by Penn Law instead of UPenn...how embarrassinggg. If I was less absentminded I would have just applied earlier! Anyone going to apply because of the fee waiver? I just sent mine in today.

Not applying, I have a snowball's chance in hell at an acceptance. Even if a miracle happened, I cannot afford to pay sticker at Penn and will not qualify for need based aid.
with your #s at the medians you'll prob have a decent shot. Good luck!

Yeah, I don't see myself getting money either. We'll see what happens :)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”