Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby 152 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:29 pm

She is pretty well off (very) and is a smart girl, I think she is just a bit confused as to what to do with her life. I am going to try to sit her down and go over some programs with her and maybe we can find something that clicks. Due to TLS and the "you are fucked at 99% of the schools" mantra I feel compelled to help anyone going to LS, not just my gf. In any case, she needs the year off and my best guess will be that it will either get her motivated for LS or she will look into the GRE. I come from money as well but that does not mean I piss it away at some private school for a piece of paper. I think she is a tad immature but hopefully the next year will help things fall into place.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:29 pm

Tell her to make a post in the "What are my chances?" section of TLS.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:30 pm

152 wrote:She is pretty well off (very) and is a smart girl, I think she is just a bit confused as to what to do with her life. I am going to try to sit her down and go over some programs with her and maybe we can find something that clicks. Due to TLS and the "you are fucked at 99% of the schools" mantra I feel compelled to help anyone going to LS, not just my gf. In any case, she needs the year off and my best guess will be that it will either get her motivated for LS or she will look into the GRE. I come from money as well but that does not mean I piss it away at some private school for a piece of paper. I think she is a tad immature but hopefully the next year will help things fall into place.

See, if you're moneyed and have no idea what to do with yourself, you go to law school. It's an age old tradition.

NZA

Postby NZA » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:31 pm

152 wrote:She is pretty well off (very) and is a smart girl, I think she is just a bit confused as to what to do with her life. I am going to try to sit her down and go over some programs with her and maybe we can find something that clicks. Due to TLS and the "you are fucked at 99% of the schools" mantra I feel compelled to help anyone going to LS, not just my gf. In any case, she needs the year off and my best guess will be that it will either get her motivated for LS or she will look into the GRE. I come from money as well but that does not mean I piss it away at some private school for a piece of paper. I think she is a tad immature but hopefully the next year will help things fall into place.

That's all you can do, really. It's her responsibility to take ownership over her existence, not yours. If she doesn't get that, then, well, fuck it, right? What's the point?

Postby 152 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:31 pm

SMA22 wrote:I went through the same thing with a close friend, who after six months was barely in the 150s. After offering her free tutoring, being her sounding board, and introducing her to a ton of great resources, I was kind of in a huff that she still wasn't studying and always had a lame excuse why she hadn't checked anything out. I felt negligent being silent, but I knew if I told her what I really thought, I'd lose her as a friend. What worked for me was getting a third party to step in and tell her how dumb she was being. I introduced her to a straightforward friend in law school, and while he hurt her feelings, she a month later admitted that maybe law school wasn't for her.

Yes, she fell a notch in my mind, but the friendship was saved. Friends don't let friends go to TTT.

All of her friends attend low TT/TTT schools where their parents are paying sticker. She does not have 1 friend that is attending a T1 that I know of.

Yet, parents still cannot stand me. Her sister has ragged me time in and time out for attending public schools. But I digress.

Longhorn88

Postby Longhorn88 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:33 pm

152 wrote:
SMA22 wrote:I went through the same thing with a close friend, who after six months was barely in the 150s. After offering her free tutoring, being her sounding board, and introducing her to a ton of great resources, I was kind of in a huff that she still wasn't studying and always had a lame excuse why she hadn't checked anything out. I felt negligent being silent, but I knew if I told her what I really thought, I'd lose her as a friend. What worked for me was getting a third party to step in and tell her how dumb she was being. I introduced her to a straightforward friend in law school, and while he hurt her feelings, she a month later admitted that maybe law school wasn't for her.

Yes, she fell a notch in my mind, but the friendship was saved. Friends don't let friends go to TTT.

All of her friends attend low TT/TTT schools where their parents are paying sticker. She does not have 1 friend that is attending a T1 that I know of.

That should help actually. When she's applying they'll be 2L and should be able to articulate just how fucked they are.

Or if she has money, tell her to just apply to a public policy school. Has she even looked into it?

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:35 pm

Since you're worried about what her parents think about you, I'm going to assume the relationship means a lot to you, and you can see long term potential in it. In that case, I'd encourage you to coax her to study as much as possible so she can get a higher score. This way, you will win her parents' favor and also help her out. Since her parents are willing to pay for her law school, who can tell them how they should spend their money? Just focus on getting her into the best law school that she could get into. I mean, it doesn't really matter if she goes to one with poor employment prospects, since she'll end up working in public policy presumably, and won't have any debt thanks to her parents.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:40 pm

NZA wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
danquayle wrote:Honestly, reading the context, it sounds like her parents are wealthy and connected enough to ensure she gets the career she wants. Going to a subpar law school may slow her down, but will likely not encumber her too much. She probably just wants another 3 years of college and the ability to call herself a lawyer. A lot of wealthier kids do that shtick to great effect.

Because the capitalists control the system! ¡Viva La Revolución!

But seriously.

Also, is there a way for her to go to a lower rated school in the same city?

Can't she just be a fucking grown up and study for the LSAT?

GAWD.

Sure. But what if she only goes up 6-8 points? I'm just trying to discuss all the options.

NZA

Postby NZA » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:41 pm

lisjjen wrote:
NZA wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
danquayle wrote:Honestly, reading the context, it sounds like her parents are wealthy and connected enough to ensure she gets the career she wants. Going to a subpar law school may slow her down, but will likely not encumber her too much. She probably just wants another 3 years of college and the ability to call herself a lawyer. A lot of wealthier kids do that shtick to great effect.

Because the capitalists control the system! ¡Viva La Revolución!

But seriously.

Also, is there a way for her to go to a lower rated school in the same city?

Can't she just be a fucking grown up and study for the LSAT?

GAWD.

Sure. But what if she only goes up 6-8 points? I'm just trying to discuss all the options.

;) I'm just messing around here. But I don't think OP should sacrifice a going to a good/better school just so he can stick around with a girl.

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:48 pm

How is this still going? I settled this already. To reiterate, find a new floozie to take to pound town.

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:50 pm

Moral_Midgetry wrote:How is this still going? I settled this already. To reiterate, find a new floozie to take to pound town.

I tried to tell them.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:55 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:
Moral_Midgetry wrote:How is this still going? I settled this already. To reiterate, find a new floozie to take to pound town.

I tried to tell them.

Lolz. And then you should [redacted to keep from getting banned again].

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:57 pm

OP, if her family has money what are you worried about?

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:00 am

OP should record and youtube the soon to be ex and when he tells her to retake or break up.

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:39 am

lisjjen wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:

I tried to tell them.

Lolz. And then you should [redacted to keep from getting banned again].

don't give in to the man. Redacting is unamerican. Btw I am a fan of the google maps deal

emmbar53

Postby emmbar53 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:32 am

This is a pretty simple situation. Allow John Bender to show you the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS5lu6jde8c#t=02m40s

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:49 am

152 wrote:

Yet, parents still cannot stand me. Her sister has ragged me time in and time out for attending public schools. But I digress.

Yuck. I'd tell it to her to walk, the whole thing sounds like a nightmare.

TheStrand

Postby TheStrand » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:15 pm

Hah. She's an NYU girl isn't she? As others have said let her go to whatever TTT her parents want her to attend. If they're paying for it and she doesn't want to be a lawyer and ends up working in government it'll bump her up a grade (JDs started at GS-11 I think?) so it's not a total loss.

On another note, where the hell did you find rich people who don't care about prestige??

Postby 152 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:29 pm

Good looking out TLS. Thread actually was helpful.

To the poster above, they care, trust me. However, schools that suck such as private school in the low TT region (Villanova/Richmond etc.) to them carry prestige. I suppose it is the UG ranking or something.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:37 pm

TheStrand wrote:Hah. She's an NYU girl isn't she? As others have said let her go to whatever TTT her parents want her to attend. If they're paying for it and she doesn't want to be a lawyer and ends up working in government it'll bump her up a grade (JDs started at GS-11 I think?) so it's not a total loss.

On another note, where the hell did you find rich people who don't care about prestige??

In addition to what the op said, rich people often made their money through entrepreneurship so don't really know relative prestige.

frijoles99

Postby frijoles99 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:54 pm

First off, this is clearly a naive spoiled girl spend money on "daddy's" credit cards. In other words she may have her own thoughts and be intelligent academically, but she has a psychological reliance on her parents. This is something that is legitimately hard to get rid of. Before you can even reach her with reasoning, you need to address her dire dependence on her parents. It doesn't matter what you say to her if daddy/mommy threaten to cut them off. I know exactly what it is to be in this sort of relationship, luckily I managed to help her recognize her dependencies and she initiated her own independence. She is now choosing between a lucrative nursing career at either Hopkins or Yale. The truth is though your GF may never recognize it, and in that circumstance you are not in a relationship with her, but instead with her and her parents.

Longhorn88

Postby Longhorn88 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:04 pm

152 wrote:Yet, parents still cannot stand me. Her sister has ragged me time in and time out for attending public schools. But I digress.

Also, can you post her address so I can fly out there and punch her sister in the face?

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:48 pm

frijoles99 wrote:First off, this is clearly a naive spoiled girl spend money on "daddy's" credit cards. In other words she may have her own thoughts and be intelligent academically, but she has a psychological reliance on her parents. This is something that is legitimately hard to get rid of. Before you can even reach her with reasoning, you need to address her dire dependence on her parents. It doesn't matter what you say to her if daddy/mommy threaten to cut them off. I know exactly what it is to be in this sort of relationship, luckily I managed to help her recognize her dependencies and she initiated her own independence. She is now choosing between a lucrative nursing career at either Hopkins or Yale. The truth is though your GF may never recognize it, and in that circumstance you are not in a relationship with her, but instead with her and her parents.

:roll:

FalafelWaffle

Postby FalafelWaffle » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:30 pm

danquayle wrote:Hindsight rarely gives credit when you succeed, or more pointedly when you prevent a failure. However, it'll always take note when you fail.

People always forget this. Probably the best advice here.

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:50 am

1. Get married,
2. Let her go to another school,
3. When she fucks around divorce and get paid for making it quick and painless.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”