Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby romothesavior » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:02 pm

Your gf sounds like a real dunce. I'd break up with her, tell her to enjoy unemployment, and find a less stupid girlfriend.

New dimepiece ftw.

User avatar
Longhorn88
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:40 am

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby Longhorn88 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:41 pm

Also, do you honestly think your relationship will last another 3 years if you're both a different schools?

Tell her your honest opinion and then let her know the ball's in her court.

Lastly, why does she need a law degree to do public policy?

Also, what do her parents do? Are they lawyers?

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby lisjjen » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:45 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Whenever I see a thread like this, whether the OP is the student in question or they're asking for a friend, it always makes me wonder if the inability to score above median on the LSAT (and the lack of logical reasoning skill it implies) correlates with the inability to realize that going to a crappy school at sticker is a terrible idea, despite all the evidence in front of their face.

OP, I don't see any way to do it nicely. Unless you can convince her to sit still and look at the employment statistics of T3/T4 schools, and median LSAT scores of schools that could actually get her a job after graduation, she's going to continue operating off of bad assumptions (any JD=riches) and her 'dream' of law school.

If it's a real dream, she should be willing to do the thing properly.


Wow. Elitist much?
Last edited by lisjjen on Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby lisjjen » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:50 pm

I've been amazed reading through this thread.

Either

a) you're not really in love with her, or else you'd find a way to make it work. This shouldn't be the reason that you break up, but it seems like a break up is imminent.
b) you're letting anonymous people say terrible things about the woman you love

Either way, the fact that half the posters on this forum advocate breaking up with someone over an LSAT score is an excellent exposé on TLS.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby romothesavior » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:03 pm

lisjjen wrote:I've been amazed reading through this thread.

Either

a) you're not really in love with her, or else you'd find a way to make it work. This shouldn't be the reason that you break up, but it seems like a break up is imminent.
b) you're letting anonymous people say terrible things about the woman you love

Either way, the fact that half the posters on this forum advocate breaking up with someone over an LSAT score is an excellent exposé on TLS.

Your inability to recognize obvious sarcasm is an excellent expose on your sense of humor.

OP shouldn't break up with this girl over her LSAT score, but maybe he should find greener pastures if she isn't willing to do what is in her own best interests (and potentially in his best interests, if they really are going to be together long term). But hell, what do I know? I don't know OP or his girlfriend, or any of the pertinent information. I just was making a sarcastic comment, and I'm pretty sure everyone else was too. Few people, if any, are really advocating breaking up with this chick.

His GF/her parents do sound pretty stupid though, based on what little he's told us, and I'll stand by that.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby lisjjen » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:09 pm

romothesavior wrote:
lisjjen wrote:I've been amazed reading through this thread.

Either

a) you're not really in love with her, or else you'd find a way to make it work. This shouldn't be the reason that you break up, but it seems like a break up is imminent.
b) you're letting anonymous people say terrible things about the woman you love

Either way, the fact that half the posters on this forum advocate breaking up with someone over an LSAT score is an excellent exposé on TLS.

Your inability to recognize obvious sarcasm is an excellent expose on your sense of humor.

OP shouldn't break up with this girl over her LSAT score, but maybe he should find greener pastures if she isn't willing to do what is in her own best interests (and potentially in his best interests, if they really are going to be together long term). But hell, what do I know? I don't know OP or his girlfriend, or any of the pertinent information. I just was making a sarcastic comment, and I'm pretty sure everyone else was too. Few people, if any, are really advocating breaking up with this chick.

His GF/her parents do sound pretty stupid though, based on what little he's told us, and I'll stand by that.


I'll stand with you on that. Though I do know a couple of people who have rich parents so they pretend that hiring data doesn't apply to them, which raises the question of how they raised all that money if they don't care about income and employment stats.

And as far as people saying terrible things about his gf, I wasn't referring to you. I think someone in here was saying something about having her do a bukkake and then passing her around to his friends for them all to buttfuck her before he broke up with her. As tasteless as that is, this is the internet - people say whatever they want. I just thought OP was pretty chill about people talking that way about somebody he loved if he loved her.

User avatar
NZA
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby NZA » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:11 pm

Longhorn88 wrote:Also, do you honestly think your relationship will last another 3 years if you're both a different schools?

Tell her your honest opinion and then let her know the ball's in her court.

Lastly, why does she need a law degree to do public policy?

Also, what do her parents do? Are they lawyers?


Exactly. What is she thinking? Why doesn't she just get a Masters in Public Administration or something?

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby romothesavior » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:11 pm

Yeah, it sounds like OP is an alt though, so maybe he knows how TLS works. I know if I made a thread about my GF, it would be hard for me to get upset about degrading, scandalous comments about her because I know the ropes around here. It's to be expected. OP seems like a pretty cool dude, I'm sure it will all work out.

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby homestyle28 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:12 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:Show her this site and the other blogs out there. Although, it sounds like her mom and dad will take care of her if shit hits the fan and she doesn't find a job.


I'm with this guy, let the internetz do your dirty work...it's unlikely she'll believe it when you say it, and when she discovers that her score/prospects suck she'll think she discovered it on her own.

Just make up some bs story about how great TLS is so that she'll check it out. That or let JD underground do it. As a last gasp, PM her email address to mtal, he delights in this kind of thing.

jrose5
Posts: 660
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby jrose5 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:12 pm

Introduce her to TLS, which made me feel blah about my 170.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby romothesavior » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:13 pm

NZA wrote:
Longhorn88 wrote:Lastly, why does she need a law degree to do public policy?
Exactly. What is she thinking? Why doesn't she just get a Masters in Public Administration or something?

Geez, come on guys! Don't you know that lawl school opens SOOO many doors? You can do ANYTHING with a lawl degree!

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby romothesavior » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:14 pm

homestyle28 wrote:As a last gasp, PM her email address to mtal, he delights in this kind of thing.

Dude, we're trying to convince her to re-take and re-apply, not have her wind up dead in a ditch somewhere.

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby danquayle » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:15 pm

romothesavior wrote:
lisjjen wrote:I've been amazed reading through this thread.

Either

a) you're not really in love with her, or else you'd find a way to make it work. This shouldn't be the reason that you break up, but it seems like a break up is imminent.
b) you're letting anonymous people say terrible things about the woman you love

Either way, the fact that half the posters on this forum advocate breaking up with someone over an LSAT score is an excellent exposé on TLS.

Your inability to recognize obvious sarcasm is an excellent expose on your sense of humor.

OP shouldn't break up with this girl over her LSAT score, but maybe he should find greener pastures if she isn't willing to do what is in her own best interests (and potentially in his best interests, if they really are going to be together long term). But hell, what do I know? I don't know OP or his girlfriend, or any of the pertinent information. I just was making a sarcastic comment, and I'm pretty sure everyone else was too. Few people, if any, are really advocating breaking up with this chick.

His GF/her parents do sound pretty stupid though, based on what little he's told us, and I'll stand by that.


I once had a friend who went to Miami Law on a full ride over several T-14 options. When I asked him why he did it, he just laughed and said he wanted to live in Miami, and that his dad was a managing partner on his own firm and it didn't mean a damn bit where he went: He had his job lined up before his first day of class. I accepted this as a very plausible answer, considering the first job after law school is ultimately why you go to the better law school.

For all we know this girl's parents have similar connections, and it REALLY IS irrelevant where she goes.

Honestly, reading the context, it sounds like her parents are wealthy and connected enough to ensure she gets the career she wants. Going to a subpar law school may slow her down, but will likely not encumber her too much. She probably just wants another 3 years of college and the ability to call herself a lawyer. A lot of wealthier kids do that shtick to great effect.

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby danquayle » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:16 pm

romothesavior wrote:
NZA wrote:
Longhorn88 wrote:Lastly, why does she need a law degree to do public policy?
Exactly. What is she thinking? Why doesn't she just get a Masters in Public Administration or something?

Geez, come on guys! Don't you know that lawl school opens SOOO many doors? You can do ANYTHING with a lawl degree!


Solid effort on the rainbow effect. My law degree looks just like that. Also has glitter.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby romothesavior » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:18 pm

danquayle wrote:I once had a friend who went to Miami Law on a full ride over several T-14 options. When I asked him why he did it, he just laughed and said he wanted to live in Miami, and that his dad was a managing partner on his own firm and it didn't mean a damn bit where he went: He had his job lined up before his first day of class. I accepted this as a very plausible answer, considering the first job after law school is ultimately why you go to the better law school.

For all we know this girl's parents have similar connections, and it REALLY IS irrelevant where she goes.

Honestly, reading the context, it sounds like her parents are wealthy and connected enough to ensure she gets the career she wants. Going to a subpar law school may slow her down, but will likely not encumber her too much. She probably just wants another 3 years of college and the ability to call herself a lawyer. A lot of wealthier kids do that shtick to great effect.

You are making some stretch inferences here. If she was this well-connected, don't you think her boyfriend would know this and it would be a non-issue?

I highly doubt her situation and your buddy at Miami's situation are at all similar. If they were, OP wouldn't have needed to post this, because she would be doing policy work with her daddy's connection instead of going to law school. The fact that she's going to law school to do policy work pretty much confirms that she has no idea what she's doing.

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby homestyle28 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:20 pm

romothesavior wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:As a last gasp, PM her email address to mtal, he delights in this kind of thing.

Dude, we're trying to convince her to re-take and re-apply, not have her wind up dead in a ditch somewhere.


my bad, I figured worse case she ends up serving two years in Israel military and hating palestine.

User avatar
Drake014
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:22 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby Drake014 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:21 pm

152 wrote:Parents will be pay for her LS. Is she the hottest girl I have ever dated? No. However, she is hot. Take that for what its worth.


She sounds like she's spoiled. There is no way to fix this. Let her go to whatever LS she wants to go to. Her family is probably well connected and she will likely land on her feet regardless. And if she doesn't, who cares? These are the 2 forseeable worst scenarios:

Option A: She has mediocre job prospects but who the fuck cares because she'll have no debt due to parents paying for LS (she doesn't even want to be a lawyer so does it really matter all that much where she goes?)

Option B: At some point you realize you're tired of this spoiled brat and would prefer someone that you can actually talk with about things. You leave her, get someone else, and therefore could care less about where she ends up.

Just enjoy boning her for the time being and don't worry about it.

User avatar
Longhorn88
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:40 am

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby Longhorn88 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:22 pm

lisjjen wrote:
Either way, the fact that half the posters on this forum advocate breaking up with someone over an LSAT score is an excellent exposé on TLS.


Image

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby lisjjen » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:22 pm

danquayle wrote:Honestly, reading the context, it sounds like her parents are wealthy and connected enough to ensure she gets the career she wants. Going to a subpar law school may slow her down, but will likely not encumber her too much. She probably just wants another 3 years of college and the ability to call herself a lawyer. A lot of wealthier kids do that shtick to great effect.


Because the capitalists control the system! ¡Viva La Revolución!

But seriously.

Also, is there a way for her to go to a lower rated school in the same city?

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby danquayle » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:23 pm

romothesavior wrote:
danquayle wrote:I once had a friend who went to Miami Law on a full ride over several T-14 options. When I asked him why he did it, he just laughed and said he wanted to live in Miami, and that his dad was a managing partner on his own firm and it didn't mean a damn bit where he went: He had his job lined up before his first day of class. I accepted this as a very plausible answer, considering the first job after law school is ultimately why you go to the better law school.

For all we know this girl's parents have similar connections, and it REALLY IS irrelevant where she goes.

Honestly, reading the context, it sounds like her parents are wealthy and connected enough to ensure she gets the career she wants. Going to a subpar law school may slow her down, but will likely not encumber her too much. She probably just wants another 3 years of college and the ability to call herself a lawyer. A lot of wealthier kids do that shtick to great effect.

You are making some stretch inferences here. If she was this well-connected, don't you think her boyfriend would know this and it would be a non-issue?

I highly doubt her situation and your buddy at Miami's situation are at all similar. If they were, OP wouldn't have needed to post this, because she would be doing policy work with her daddy's connection instead of going to law school. The fact that she's going to law school to do policy work pretty much confirms that she has no idea what she's doing.


Oh yeah. There's some gross speculation here. Meant to preference this with: "For all we know..."

OP, how does she plan to break into policy work anyway? Even a superb school isn't great for that kind of placement.

User avatar
NZA
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby NZA » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:23 pm

lisjjen wrote:
danquayle wrote:Honestly, reading the context, it sounds like her parents are wealthy and connected enough to ensure she gets the career she wants. Going to a subpar law school may slow her down, but will likely not encumber her too much. She probably just wants another 3 years of college and the ability to call herself a lawyer. A lot of wealthier kids do that shtick to great effect.


Because the capitalists control the system! ¡Viva La Revolución!

But seriously.

Also, is there a way for her to go to a lower rated school in the same city?


Can't she just be a fucking grown up and study for the LSAT?

GAWD.

User avatar
SMA22
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:42 am

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby SMA22 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:24 pm

I went through the same thing with a close friend, who after six months was barely in the 150s. After offering her free tutoring, being her sounding board, and introducing her to a ton of great resources, I was kind of in a huff that she still wasn't studying and always had a lame excuse why she hadn't checked anything out. I felt negligent being silent, but I knew if I told her what I really thought, I'd lose her as a friend. What worked for me was getting a third party to step in and tell her how dumb she was being. I introduced her to a straightforward friend in law school, and while he hurt her feelings, she a month later admitted that maybe law school wasn't for her.

Yes, she fell a notch in my mind, but the friendship was saved. Friends don't let friends go to TTT.

152
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:50 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby 152 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:26 pm

lisjjen wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
lisjjen wrote:I've been amazed reading through this thread.

Either

a) you're not really in love with her, or else you'd find a way to make it work. This shouldn't be the reason that you break up, but it seems like a break up is imminent.
b) you're letting anonymous people say terrible things about the woman you love

Either way, the fact that half the posters on this forum advocate breaking up with someone over an LSAT score is an excellent exposé on TLS.

Your inability to recognize obvious sarcasm is an excellent expose on your sense of humor.

OP shouldn't break up with this girl over her LSAT score, but maybe he should find greener pastures if she isn't willing to do what is in her own best interests (and potentially in his best interests, if they really are going to be together long term). But hell, what do I know? I don't know OP or his girlfriend, or any of the pertinent information. I just was making a sarcastic comment, and I'm pretty sure everyone else was too. Few people, if any, are really advocating breaking up with this chick.

His GF/her parents do sound pretty stupid though, based on what little he's told us, and I'll stand by that.


I'll stand with you on that. Though I do know a couple of people who have rich parents so they pretend that hiring data doesn't apply to them, which raises the question of how they raised all that money if they don't care about income and employment stats.

And as far as people saying terrible things about his gf, I wasn't referring to you. I think someone in here was saying something about having her do a bukkake and then passing her around to his friends for them all to buttfuck her before he broke up with her. As tasteless as that is, this is the internet - people say whatever they want. I just thought OP was pretty chill about people talking that way about somebody he loved if he loved her.


This is TLS. The biggest compilation of overachievers/douche bags on the net. I could really give a shit about what people say about a my gf on a forum. I doubt Reggie Bush came online and freaked out when people were making comments on the Ray J video.

User avatar
Longhorn88
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:40 am

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby Longhorn88 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:28 pm

Try as hard as you can to get her into your school.

Then she can help boost you class rank +1. Also, have her dress promiscuously and sit in the front row of every class, thereby distracting half the class while you take notes.

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby danquayle » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:28 pm

152 wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
lisjjen wrote:I've been amazed reading through this thread.

Either

a) you're not really in love with her, or else you'd find a way to make it work. This shouldn't be the reason that you break up, but it seems like a break up is imminent.
b) you're letting anonymous people say terrible things about the woman you love

Either way, the fact that half the posters on this forum advocate breaking up with someone over an LSAT score is an excellent exposé on TLS.

Your inability to recognize obvious sarcasm is an excellent expose on your sense of humor.

OP shouldn't break up with this girl over her LSAT score, but maybe he should find greener pastures if she isn't willing to do what is in her own best interests (and potentially in his best interests, if they really are going to be together long term). But hell, what do I know? I don't know OP or his girlfriend, or any of the pertinent information. I just was making a sarcastic comment, and I'm pretty sure everyone else was too. Few people, if any, are really advocating breaking up with this chick.

His GF/her parents do sound pretty stupid though, based on what little he's told us, and I'll stand by that.


I'll stand with you on that. Though I do know a couple of people who have rich parents so they pretend that hiring data doesn't apply to them, which raises the question of how they raised all that money if they don't care about income and employment stats.

And as far as people saying terrible things about his gf, I wasn't referring to you. I think someone in here was saying something about having her do a bukkake and then passing her around to his friends for them all to buttfuck her before he broke up with her. As tasteless as that is, this is the internet - people say whatever they want. I just thought OP was pretty chill about people talking that way about somebody he loved if he loved her.


This is TLS. The biggest compilation of overachievers/douche bags on the net. I could really give a shit about what people say about a my gf on a forum. I doubt Reggie Bush came online and freaked out when people were making comments on the Ray J video.


Interesting comparison to draw.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests