Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18410
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby bk1 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:57 pm

152 wrote:She has a 3.6 something GPA which is better than mine but she does not seem motivated enough to study and do well on the LSAT. I even sat and worked out problems/explained LG/proctored for her/ gave her all of my study materials. I am out of ideas.


Wait, why aren't you just explaining to her that law school isn't useful for a future career in public policy and preempting the whole having to study for the LSAT bit?

152
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:50 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby 152 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:58 pm

bk1 wrote:
152 wrote:She has a 3.6 something GPA which is better than mine but she does not seem motivated enough to study and do well on the LSAT. I even sat and worked out problems/explained LG/proctored for her/ gave her all of my study materials. I am out of ideas.


Wait, why aren't you just explaining to her that law school isn't useful for a future career in public policy and preempting the whole having to study for the LSAT bit?


Tried that, her parents said I was full of shit. That idea died real quick.

gens1tb
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:36 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby gens1tb » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:59 pm

Marry her no prenup then wait for the inheritance

152
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:50 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby 152 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:59 pm

Moral_Midgetry wrote:
152 wrote:
amorfati wrote:It would be really awkward if she came across this thread.

But no, seriously. I think the best you can do is just encourage her to take it more seriously. If she has decent job prospects now, then perhaps right away is not the best time for her to go to law school, anyway. She could always reconsider in a year or two (or three...).

On a side note, you should know her pretty well - having studied extensively for the LSAT, do you feel she is capable of a much higher score? If so, encourage her. If not (that is, if you think your girlfriend is significantly "dumber" than you, for lack of a better word), then... that's awkward.

(Speaking to how sick my LSAT/TLS addiction has become, I sometimes estimate what LSAT scores my ex-boyfriends would have been capable of and think, "wow, we were totally mismatched." jk, jk... mostly.)



She has a 3.6 something GPA which is better than mine but she does not seem motivated enough to study and do well on the LSAT. I even sat and worked out problems/explained LG/proctored for her/ gave her all of my study materials. I am out of ideas.


Find a new slam piece. There should be plenty of girls willing to slut it up for you if you have already landed a hot one and will have increased status as a future law student at a t20.


I will keep this advice nearby if things keep getting worse.

User avatar
robotclubmember
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:53 am

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby robotclubmember » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:00 pm

152 wrote:Parents will be pay for her LS. Is she the hottest girl I have ever dated? No. However, she is hot. Take that for what its worth.


So what you're saying is, you could be banging hotter.

You have three options.

A) Get her to understand that it's important that you include each other in major life decisions that will impact both of you. Present her with hard facts, do some financial analyses in Excel to demonstrate the value of a higher LSAT score relative to the comparatively low amount of time that must be invested. Provide her with articles that demonstrate the bleak job prospects of TTT grads. You need her to understand that she will diminish her chances at meaningful employment over the rest of her life because she refused to put maybe 100 hours of honest prep into a very learnable test. This isn't any different than a couple that lives together budgeting their monthly grocery and utility bills. It's sit down, be an adult, and address the issue.

B) Let her do what she wants. I'll clue you in now: she has seen your success first-hand and it means nothing to her on a personal level. She's already decided it's not for her. You can persuade her the other way if option A is done right, but as it stands, she does not share your perspective on life. So let her play out the hand she is dealt. Who cares, her parents will bail her out anyway, what are you on the hook for? You're the guy that's fucking her, not her dad.

C) Bang someone hotter.

gens1tb
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:36 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby gens1tb » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:00 pm

oh wait I guess that's location contingent advice

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18410
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby bk1 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:01 pm

152 wrote:Tried that, her parents said I was full of shit. That idea died real quick.


So she automatically believes her parents over you? I thought you said she believed what you said?

kehoema2
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:52 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby kehoema2 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:01 pm

152 wrote:
amorfati wrote:It would be really awkward if she came across this thread.

But no, seriously. I think the best you can do is just encourage her to take it more seriously. If she has decent job prospects now, then perhaps right away is not the best time for her to go to law school, anyway. She could always reconsider in a year or two (or three...).

On a side note, you should know her pretty well - having studied extensively for the LSAT, do you feel she is capable of a much higher score? If so, encourage her. If not (that is, if you think your girlfriend is significantly "dumber" than you, for lack of a better word), then... that's awkward.

(Speaking to how sick my LSAT/TLS addiction has become, I sometimes estimate what LSAT scores my ex-boyfriends would have been capable of and think, "wow, we were totally mismatched." jk, jk... mostly.)



She has a 3.6 something GPA which is better than mine but she does not seem motivated enough to study and do well on the LSAT. I even sat and worked out problems/explained LG/proctored for her/ gave her all of my study materials. I am out of ideas.


Sounds like its a lost cause. No offense OP, but I'm not sure why you're trying so hard, especially since her parents hate you. I really think you should just give up on her.

152
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:50 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby 152 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:04 pm

bk1 wrote:
152 wrote:Tried that, her parents said I was full of shit. That idea died real quick.


So she automatically believes her parents over you? I thought you said she believed what you said?


Its a back and forth thing. Its hard to explain. She hears me and believes what I am saying and then after she talks to her parents she explains how much they want her to attend.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18410
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby bk1 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:05 pm

152 wrote:Its a back and forth thing. Its hard to explain. She hears me and believes what I am saying and then after she talks to her parents she explains how much they want her to attend.


She sounds odd and seems to lack her own mind in this.

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby danquayle » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:06 pm

152 wrote:Here is the situation, I am one year removed from college while my girlfriend is finishing her senior year. I will try to keep this somewhat short but I would really like some impartial opinions on the subject. Basically, I graduated this past May and took a year off, I got a job and studied my ass for the LSAT. Needless to say I did well on the LSAT and am now attending a T20 on a pretty nice scholarship. My girlfriend on the other hand, has not taken the exam as seriously. In the recent past she has stated that she does not want to "use" her law degree but to have it to help boost her future career plans in the field of public policy. She took a TestMaster class in the Fall and self prepped and just got her score back from the February Test. She received a 151. I want to steer her in the right direction but she does not seem very motivated to study. We just finished talking and she still wants law school but I am unsure of the advice to give her at this point. She goes out of town for 3 weeks before the June Test and by the time the October/December test roll around she will be working full time in DC. Her parents, (who hate me for undisclosed reasons) think that it does not matter which LS you attend and that the caliber of school does not matter? I find this very odd because they had sent her to a high school that cost more than my college and a UG that cost 3 times more than my UG. Anyway, does anyone have any advice as to how I can smoothly talk her into either 1. Studying more and getting motivated or 2. Going after her GRE? I am already in hot water with the parents so I do not want them to think I am killing her dreams/holding her back from LS.

Also, this is not a flame, this is an alt account I just made for the purposes of posting this. I mean shit, if you cannot get good tough love advice on TLS then where can you get it?


Clearly state your honest opinion once, and only once, to her and her parents. Then let her go. Let her fail while you succeed. Let her parents take note of your sound judgment in light of their poor judgment. Sounds like her parents have the financial wherewithal and - implicitly - the connections, to make sure she ends up doing ok. Perhaps some humility would benefit her in the long run. Having a great illustrative example of your merit would benefit you in the long run.

If you push her into doing the reasonable thing, it will probably help her. But it sounds like the cost would be the resentment of her family and possibly her. Even if it benefits her, you'll never get benefit for it. Hindsight rarely gives credit when you succeed, or more pointedly when you prevent a failure. However, it'll always take note when you fail.

User avatar
Spookyghost
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:28 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby Spookyghost » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:07 pm

Most informative thread on the forums :mrgreen:

152
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:50 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby 152 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:08 pm

danquayle wrote:
152 wrote:Here is the situation, I am one year removed from college while my girlfriend is finishing her senior year. I will try to keep this somewhat short but I would really like some impartial opinions on the subject. Basically, I graduated this past May and took a year off, I got a job and studied my ass for the LSAT. Needless to say I did well on the LSAT and am now attending a T20 on a pretty nice scholarship. My girlfriend on the other hand, has not taken the exam as seriously. In the recent past she has stated that she does not want to "use" her law degree but to have it to help boost her future career plans in the field of public policy. She took a TestMaster class in the Fall and self prepped and just got her score back from the February Test. She received a 151. I want to steer her in the right direction but she does not seem very motivated to study. We just finished talking and she still wants law school but I am unsure of the advice to give her at this point. She goes out of town for 3 weeks before the June Test and by the time the October/December test roll around she will be working full time in DC. Her parents, (who hate me for undisclosed reasons) think that it does not matter which LS you attend and that the caliber of school does not matter? I find this very odd because they had sent her to a high school that cost more than my college and a UG that cost 3 times more than my UG. Anyway, does anyone have any advice as to how I can smoothly talk her into either 1. Studying more and getting motivated or 2. Going after her GRE? I am already in hot water with the parents so I do not want them to think I am killing her dreams/holding her back from LS.

Also, this is not a flame, this is an alt account I just made for the purposes of posting this. I mean shit, if you cannot get good tough love advice on TLS then where can you get it?


Clearly state your honest opinion once, and only once, to her and her parents. Then let her go. Let her fail while you succeed. Let her parents take note of your sound judgment in light of their poor judgment. Sounds like her parents have the financial wherewithal and - implicitly - the connections, to make sure she ends up doing ok. Perhaps some humility would benefit her in the long run. Having a great illustrative example of your merit would benefit you in the long run.

If you push her into doing the reasonable thing, it will probably help her. But it sounds like the cost would be the resentment of her family and possibly her. Even if it benefits her, you'll never get benefit for it. Hindsight rarely gives credit when you succeed, or more pointedly when you prevent a failure. However, it'll always take note when you fail.



This is actually excellent advice.

ksimon2007
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:23 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby ksimon2007 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Moral_Midgetry wrote:
152 wrote:
amorfati wrote:It would be really awkward if she came across this thread.

But no, seriously. I think the best you can do is just encourage her to take it more seriously. If she has decent job prospects now, then perhaps right away is not the best time for her to go to law school, anyway. She could always reconsider in a year or two (or three...).

On a side note, you should know her pretty well - having studied extensively for the LSAT, do you feel she is capable of a much higher score? If so, encourage her. If not (that is, if you think your girlfriend is significantly "dumber" than you, for lack of a better word), then... that's awkward.

(Speaking to how sick my LSAT/TLS addiction has become, I sometimes estimate what LSAT scores my ex-boyfriends would have been capable of and think, "wow, we were totally mismatched." jk, jk... mostly.)



She has a 3.6 something GPA which is better than mine but she does not seem motivated enough to study and do well on the LSAT. I even sat and worked out problems/explained LG/proctored for her/ gave her all of my study materials. I am out of ideas.


Find a new slam piece. There should be plenty of girls willing to slut it up for you if you have already landed a hot one and will have increased status as a future law student at a t20.


My friend moral here has hit the nail on the head twice in this thread.

User avatar
robotclubmember
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:53 am

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby robotclubmember » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:15 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:
Moral_Midgetry wrote:
Find a new slam piece. There should be plenty of girls willing to slut it up for you if you have already landed a hot one and will have increased status as a future law student at a t20.


My friend moral here has hit the nail on the head twice in this thread.


Before you find a new slam piece, make sure you complete this check list:

__ Up the ass
__ Bukkake
__ Fuck her with a bucket over her head
__ Pass her around with friends in an ecstasy-fueled orgy (Optional)

That's just common sense to do those things when you leave a girl though. If you put her back on the shelf the way you found her, you didn't get your money's worth bro.

gens1tb
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:36 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby gens1tb » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:21 pm

robotclubmember wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:
Moral_Midgetry wrote:
Find a new slam piece. There should be plenty of girls willing to slut it up for you if you have already landed a hot one and will have increased status as a future law student at a t20.


My friend moral here has hit the nail on the head twice in this thread.


Before you find a new slam piece, make sure you complete this check list:

__ Up the ass
__ Bukkake
__ Fuck her with a bucket over her head
__ Pass her around with friends in an ecstasy-fueled orgy (Optional)

That's just common sense to do those things when you leave a girl though. If you put her back on the shelf the way you found her, you didn't get your money's worth bro.


Don't 2/4 have to be at the same time? Or for efficiency sake they should be.

User avatar
renorunningirl
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby renorunningirl » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:25 pm

I'm going through something similar with my boyfriend... As hard as it is to accept there is really not much you can do. Offer your help and support but she has to be the one who takes control of her life. Unfortunately it sounds like she may not be ready for law school, and there could be many reasons for that. Let her know you support her even if she decided to take a year off or change her course of study. Good luck

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:27 pm

152 wrote:
bk1 wrote:
152 wrote:Tried that, her parents said I was full of shit. That idea died real quick.


So she automatically believes her parents over you? I thought you said she believed what you said?


Its a back and forth thing. Its hard to explain. She hears me and believes what I am saying and then after she talks to her parents she explains how much they want her to attend.


This is a terrible, terrible way to decide your future career: because your parents want you to attend law school? That's at least 10 years or so of your life down the toilet, just because Mom & Dad chose it? No wonder she's not motivated, it's not her own career path.

I feel bad saying this without knowing anything else about her, but it sounds like she has some serious maturity issues. If she's about to graduate college and still allowing her parents to dictate what her future career is, chances are that's how it's going to be for the rest of her life. It's normal to talk to your parents about big life decisions (especially if they're paying for them), but basing the rest of your life on your parents' whim is a recipe for disaster.

sarahlawg
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby sarahlawg » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:31 pm

are there schools she can get into that around your school? Maybe the motivation can be that she has to score higher to go to a school near you?

I have a friend who scored in the low 150s and I tried to kind of be gentle about sending her to law school transparency and TLS, but in the end she's going to go where she goes and she is not going to retake/not go. She actually wants to be a LAWYER though, so it makes more sense. Your girlfriend doesn't even want to do that... I don't get that, but okay. Why not just get a masters in public policy? Research some good programs for her, maybe. Some people are just stubborn.

Also, why is June out? there's still 3 months? That's a shit-ton of time to study.

User avatar
buckilaw
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 1:27 am

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby buckilaw » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:33 pm

http://www.concordlawschool.edu/index.asp

Have her "attend" an online law school. She can have a real short commute to class, depending on the quality of her internet provider, and can live with you. You get the added benefit of really seeing how firmly her parents stand behind the it doesn't matter what school you attend bit.

jdl239
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:45 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby jdl239 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:41 pm

How hot is her mom! That should be the real question being asked!

User avatar
mac35352
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:17 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby mac35352 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:05 pm

I had a friend in your girlfriend's situation. Her boyfriend got into law school with a scholarship and she couldn't raise her score past 155. She thought it didn't matter where she went to school as long as she was close to him.
She applied and didn't get in anywhere so she decided to get a masters in education.
He was extremely honest with her and she was totally convinced she was getting in somewhere.
Hopefully this happens to yours.
Regardless this girl seems very immature and naive to invest her time (since they will pay) in law school just because her parents want her to.

sarahlawg
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby sarahlawg » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:19 pm

mac35352 wrote:I had a friend in your girlfriend's situation. Her boyfriend got into law school with a scholarship and she couldn't raise her score past 155. She thought it didn't matter where she went to school as long as she was close to him.
She applied and didn't get in anywhere so she decided to get a masters in education.
He was extremely honest with her and she was totally convinced she was getting in somewhere.
Hopefully this happens to yours.
Regardless this girl seems very immature and naive to invest her time (since they will pay) in law school just because her parents want her to.


that would be a good way to manipulate the situation - convince her to only apply to schools you she won't get into.

I can picture you in 20 years laughing while telling her the story about how you got her to pursue an alternate career path. Oh, the death glare you'll get.

just make sure she's the only one in the room.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:00 pm

Just let her do what she wants to do; all you can do is try to tell her how things are. One thing I would recommend is trying to show her how much more topical public policy degrees or other options are to her interests. Other than that, you just have to see if it is worth staying with her if the likely outcome occurs (that her income after a TTT degree doesn't justify the investment). That sounds callous but w/e. It might be worth it to make a financially unsound decision if it makes her happy.

(Sorry I bumped the shit out of this. I started it at work and it was in my browser just now)

bradley
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:14 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby bradley » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:09 pm

152 wrote:
bk1 wrote:
152 wrote:That was a joke, which I hope you already knew.


Nope. Sarcasm over the internets isn't always obvious.

That being said, why can't you just be honest with your gf? Will she not believe you?



She will. Since I have known her she has wanted LS and has worked pretty hard in UG. She has a good GPA but the LSAT does not seem to be clicking. I do not want her to think that I am trying to hold her back? or trying to discourage her. Again, TLS changes the way you think about LS/LSAT. FTR, I showed her this form. She thinks it is sad that I post here, haha.


So what did your girlfriend say when she saw that you called her not "the hottest girl [you've] ever dated"?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: PRinNYC and 7 guests