Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
152
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:50 pm

Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby 152 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:06 pm

Here is the situation, I am one year removed from college while my girlfriend is finishing her senior year. I will try to keep this somewhat short but I would really like some impartial opinions on the subject. Basically, I graduated this past May and took a year off, I got a job and studied my ass for the LSAT. Needless to say I did well on the LSAT and am now attending a T20 on a pretty nice scholarship. My girlfriend on the other hand, has not taken the exam as seriously. In the recent past she has stated that she does not want to "use" her law degree but to have it to help boost her future career plans in the field of public policy. She took a TestMaster class in the Fall and self prepped and just got her score back from the December test. She received a score in the low 150's. I want to steer her in the right direction but she does not seem very motivated to study. We just finished talking and she still wants law school but I am unsure of the advice to give her at this point. The June test is out and by the time the October/December test roll around she will be working full time in NY. Her parents, (who hate me for undisclosed reasons) think that it does not matter which LS you attend and that the caliber of school does not matter? I find this very odd because they had sent her to a high school that cost more than my college and a UG that cost 3 times more than my UG. Anyway, does anyone have any advice as to how I can smoothly talk her into either 1. Studying more and getting motivated or 2. Going after her GRE? I am already in hot water with the parents so I do not want them to think I am killing her dreams/holding her back from LS.

Also, this is not a flame, this is an alt account I just made for the purposes of posting this. I mean shit, if you cannot get good tough love advice on TLS then where can you get it?
Last edited by 152 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gens1tb
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:36 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby gens1tb » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:22 pm

Aside from telling her she shouldn't go to law school, there's not much you can do. If she goes and her debt/life choices aren't something you want to deal with then I guess you're gonna be single.

You can't force someone to be motivated. Well, maybe you can, but that's a pretty terrible relationship.

Amadeus
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby Amadeus » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:25 pm

Let her make her own choices :)

User avatar
Moral_Midgetry
Posts: 543
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:26 pm

How hot is she?

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby FiveSermon » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:27 pm

inb4 slapaho

User avatar
joemoviebuff
Posts: 788
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:51 am

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby joemoviebuff » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:28 pm

Show her this site and the other blogs out there. Although, it sounds like her mom and dad will take care of her if shit hits the fan and she doesn't find a job.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:33 pm

Whenever I see a thread like this, whether the OP is the student in question or they're asking for a friend, it always makes me wonder if the inability to score above median on the LSAT (and the lack of logical reasoning skill it implies) correlates with the inability to realize that going to a crappy school at sticker is a terrible idea, despite all the evidence in front of their face.

OP, I don't see any way to do it nicely. Unless you can convince her to sit still and look at the employment statistics of T3/T4 schools, and median LSAT scores of schools that could actually get her a job after graduation, she's going to continue operating off of bad assumptions (any JD=riches) and her 'dream' of law school.

If it's a real dream, she should be willing to do the thing properly.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18418
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby bk1 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:34 pm

Tell her straight up. Let her deal with it.

Both of you need to grow up.

152
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:50 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby 152 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:37 pm

bk1 wrote:Tell her straight up. Let her deal with it.

Both of you need to grow up.



Not sure what that exactly means. However, I thought it was a safe assumption that someone here would possibly give me something useful or share a similar story. I just do not want to sound like a douche/have her family be pissed at me.

ksimon2007
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:23 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby ksimon2007 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:38 pm

Moral_Midgetry wrote:How hot is she?


While this question may seem impertinent to many, I think it must be answered. If she is only moderately attractive then you should find a girlfriend at your law school and find nice in-laws.

If on the other hand she is smoking hot, then you should just tell her to attend Cooley with a good scholarship and allow her to be your trophy wife.

czelede
Posts: 689
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby czelede » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:39 pm

If she doesn't want to hear it (which it sounds like she doesn't) there's nothing you can do. Some people just won't face reality until it slaps them in the face. You can lay all the information out there for her, but that's about it.

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby FiveSermon » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:40 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:
Moral_Midgetry wrote:How hot is she?


While this question may seem impertinent to many, I think it must be answered. If she is only moderately attractive then you should find a girlfriend at your law school and find nice in-laws.

If on the other hand she is smoking hot, then you should just tell her to attend Cooley with a good scholarship and allow her to be your trophy wife.


A trophy wife that is 200k in debt hmm...Must be truly scale breakingly hot for that to be worth it.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18418
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby bk1 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:41 pm

152 wrote:Not sure what that exactly means. However, I thought it was a safe assumption that someone here would possibly give me something useful or share a similar story. I just do not want to sound like a douche/have her family be pissed at me.


Telling her the truth is not douchey. Her family already hates you, so what does it matter if you say something that goes against their opinion?

152
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:50 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby 152 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:42 pm

Parents will be pay for her LS. Is she the hottest girl I have ever dated? No. However, she is hot. Take that for what its worth.

152
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:50 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby 152 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:42 pm

bk1 wrote:
152 wrote:Not sure what that exactly means. However, I thought it was a safe assumption that someone here would possibly give me something useful or share a similar story. I just do not want to sound like a douche/have her family be pissed at me.


Telling her the truth is not douchey. Her family already hates you, so what does it matter if you say something that goes against their opinion?


Because right now they still buy me a Christmas gift. They give good gifts.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18418
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby bk1 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:43 pm

152 wrote:Because right now they still buy me a Christmas gift. They give good gifts.


Scratch what I said earlier. I bet you can make anything you tell her sound douchey.

So what are we talking about here? An iPad? A car? A house? What?

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:45 pm

152 wrote:Parents will be pay for her LS. Is she the hottest girl I have ever dated? No. However, she is hot. Take that for what its worth.


lol i love how you chose to answer this question (the hot part)

152
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:50 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby 152 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:46 pm

bk1 wrote:
152 wrote:Because right now they still buy me a Christmas gift. They give good gifts.


Scratch what I said earlier. I bet you can make anything you tell her sound douchey.

So what are we talking about here? An iPad? A car? A house? What?



That was a joke, which I hope you already knew.

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby TommyK » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:46 pm

Eh, it doesn't matter. She'll end up going to a worse school than you - probably far away. You anticipate being able to stay together when you're a 3L and she's a 1L several hours away from each other, while she's in a school with a high male:female ratio?

ksimon2007
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:23 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby ksimon2007 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:47 pm

152 wrote:Parents will be pay for her LS. Is she the hottest girl I have ever dated? No. However, she is hot. Take that for what its worth.


I'll make it simple for you. If she is as hot as say, Bar Rafaeli: http://www.exposay.com/celebrity-photos ... Hwltjt.jpg then suck it up son

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18418
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby bk1 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:48 pm

152 wrote:That was a joke, which I hope you already knew.


Nope. Sarcasm over the internets isn't always obvious.

That being said, why can't you just be honest with your gf? Will she not believe you?

amorfati
Posts: 191
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:14 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby amorfati » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:50 pm

It would be really awkward if she came across this thread.

But no, seriously. I think the best you can do is just encourage her to take it more seriously. If she has decent job prospects now, then perhaps right away is not the best time for her to go to law school, anyway. She could always reconsider in a year or two (or three...).

On a side note, you should know her pretty well - having studied extensively for the LSAT, do you feel she is capable of a much higher score? If so, encourage her. If not (that is, if you think your girlfriend is significantly "dumber" than you, for lack of a better word), then... that's awkward.

(Speaking to how sick my LSAT/TLS addiction has become, I sometimes estimate what LSAT scores my ex-boyfriends would have been capable of and think, "wow, we were totally mismatched." jk, jk... mostly.)

152
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:50 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby 152 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:53 pm

bk1 wrote:
152 wrote:That was a joke, which I hope you already knew.


Nope. Sarcasm over the internets isn't always obvious.

That being said, why can't you just be honest with your gf? Will she not believe you?



She will. Since I have known her she has wanted LS and has worked pretty hard in UG. She has a good GPA but the LSAT does not seem to be clicking. I do not want her to think that I am trying to hold her back? or trying to discourage her. Again, TLS changes the way you think about LS/LSAT. FTR, I showed her this form. She thinks it is sad that I post here, haha.

152
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:50 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby 152 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:54 pm

amorfati wrote:It would be really awkward if she came across this thread.

But no, seriously. I think the best you can do is just encourage her to take it more seriously. If she has decent job prospects now, then perhaps right away is not the best time for her to go to law school, anyway. She could always reconsider in a year or two (or three...).

On a side note, you should know her pretty well - having studied extensively for the LSAT, do you feel she is capable of a much higher score? If so, encourage her. If not (that is, if you think your girlfriend is significantly "dumber" than you, for lack of a better word), then... that's awkward.

(Speaking to how sick my LSAT/TLS addiction has become, I sometimes estimate what LSAT scores my ex-boyfriends would have been capable of and think, "wow, we were totally mismatched." jk, jk... mostly.)



She has a 3.6 something GPA which is better than mine but she does not seem motivated enough to study and do well on the LSAT. I even sat and worked out problems/explained LG/proctored for her/ gave her all of my study materials. I am out of ideas.

User avatar
Moral_Midgetry
Posts: 543
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: Ah, The girlfriend and the LSAT. Need advice.

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:56 pm

152 wrote:
amorfati wrote:It would be really awkward if she came across this thread.

But no, seriously. I think the best you can do is just encourage her to take it more seriously. If she has decent job prospects now, then perhaps right away is not the best time for her to go to law school, anyway. She could always reconsider in a year or two (or three...).

On a side note, you should know her pretty well - having studied extensively for the LSAT, do you feel she is capable of a much higher score? If so, encourage her. If not (that is, if you think your girlfriend is significantly "dumber" than you, for lack of a better word), then... that's awkward.

(Speaking to how sick my LSAT/TLS addiction has become, I sometimes estimate what LSAT scores my ex-boyfriends would have been capable of and think, "wow, we were totally mismatched." jk, jk... mostly.)



She has a 3.6 something GPA which is better than mine but she does not seem motivated enough to study and do well on the LSAT. I even sat and worked out problems/explained LG/proctored for her/ gave her all of my study materials. I am out of ideas.


Find a new slam piece. There should be plenty of girls willing to slut it up for you if you have already landed a hot one and will have increased status as a future law student at a t20.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests