US News Recruiter Rankings Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Aberzombie1892

Gold

Re: US News Recruiter Rankings

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:12 am

DreamShake wrote:For a mass mailing survey...which is widely recognized as one of the poorest statistical measures available.

The gradations are too large (needs to be 1-10 or at least 1-7) and the response rate too low for this survey to be useful. Really, fuck US News for trying to pass off more shoddy statistics as legitimate information.
I agree 1-10 should be instituted instead of 1-5. When they use 1-5, a lot of individuals will feel guilty grouping some schools at the same number, but won't make appropriate changes because they feel like they would be cheating a particular school.

For example, someone may give schools 1-20 a (5), 21-50 a (4), 50-100 a (3), 100-150 a (2), and 150+ a (1). But, GW is not as good as HYS or even Georgetown/Cornell - the recruiter would not want to give GW a 4 because clearly GW is better than IUB. Also Temple and Villinova are better than Hofstra, but would Temple and Villianova deserve the same score as Fordham? A 1-10 gradiation could solve all of these problems.

DubPoker

Bronze

Post by DubPoker » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:28 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:For example, someone may give schools 1-20 a (5), 21-50 a (4), 50-100 a (3), 100-150 a (2), and 150+ a (1). But, GW is not as good as HYS or even Georgetown/Cornell - the recruiter would not want to give GW a 4 because clearly GW is better than IUB. Also Temple and Villinova are better than Hofstra, but would Temple and Villianova deserve the same score as Fordham? A 1-10 gradiation could solve all of these problems.
Though yours is a hypothetic situation where 1-5 is given out based on last years us news rankings. You sort of drift from your own situation because the recruiter in your situation is just giving them a 5 because they are T20. he wouldn't be making "grey area" numerical decisions. Just felt like noting this because...

According to these recruiter rankings GW did not make T25. Apparently it did not even make an average of a 4.0, because 4.0 is what it took to make 25th place.

Although I do agree with the 1-10 scale

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:29 am

I wrote an email to netflix saying these same things. Maybe I want to give Bring It On and Justin Bieber Never Say Never five stars and Hannah Montana: The Movie four stars. But really I want to indicate that Bring It On isn't as good as Never Say Never but still better than Hannah Montana. It didn't work though. They still use ratings of one through five.

El_Gallo

Bronze

Post by El_Gallo » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:31 am

Bumi wrote:I wrote an email to netflix saying these same things. Maybe I want to give Bring It On and Justin Bieber Never Say Never five stars and Hannah Montana: The Movie four stars. But really I want to indicate that Bring It On isn't as good as Never Say Never but still better than Hannah Montana. It didn't work though. They still use ratings of one through five.
LOL 175

DubPoker

Bronze

Post by DubPoker » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:34 am

Bumi wrote:I wrote an email to netflix saying these same things. Maybe I want to give Bring It On and Justin Bieber Never Say Never five stars and Hannah Montana: The Movie four stars. But really I want to indicate that Bring It On isn't as good as Never Say Never but still better than Hannah Montana. It didn't work though. They still use ratings of one through five.
Reminds me of some FatDuck responses, awesome

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Boggs

Bronze

Post by Boggs » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:10 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
tome wrote:There is a disappointing lack of anti-Penn trolling in this thread.
For a state school, tied with Georgetown is pretty damn good.
Except that doesn't mean much to people at TLS if all the anti-GULC trolling is indicative.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”