Misdemeanor charge Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Bonanza

New

Misdemeanor charge

Post by Bonanza » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:43 am

Hey guys,

I'm faced with an upcoming court appearance for a misdemeanor charge (Noise Violence...)
I had some friends over at my place two weeks in a row. I should have been more careful when I was issued a warning the first week but here I am now.

How bad would this charge in my record look to law schools?

Is there anything I can do at this point to try to wipe away this charge? (should I hire a lawyer to accompany me to court? Is there anything I can say in front of the judge to help my chances?)

Thanks in advance guys. I look forward to any tips.

cartercl

Bronze

Re: Misdemeanor charge

Post by cartercl » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:50 am

Bonanza wrote: How bad would this charge in my record look to law schools?
It's laughable. No big deal. Seriously.
Is there anything I can do at this point to try to wipe away this charge? (should I hire a lawyer to accompany me to court? Is there anything I can say in front of the judge to help my chances?)
Of course you should always hire an attorney when charged with a crime, if you have the means to do so. It would be best to try to get this charged dropped because some law school applications only ask for convictions. If you can put yourself in the position where you won't have to put down anything criminal on these applications then do it. However, only an attorney can advise you about the rest of your concerns.

well-hello-there

Bronze

Post by well-hello-there » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:56 am

cartercl wrote:
Bonanza wrote: How bad would this charge in my record look to law schools?
It's laughable. No big deal. Seriously.
Of course you should always hire an attorney when charged with a crime, if you have the means to do so. It would be best to try to get this charged dropped because some law school applications only ask for convictions. If you can put yourself in the position where you won't have to put down anything criminal on these applications then do it. However, only an attorney can advise you about the rest of your concerns.
+1

if you don't have the means to hire an attorney, borrow the money or do whatever it takes to get it dropped.

Bonanza

New

Post by Bonanza » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:38 am

Thanks for the reply guys.
From what I've searched/called around, no law firm would tell me what the likelihood of my charge being dropped is, if I were to hire them.

Has anyone heard of any stats on the success rate of winning a misdemeanor case with a lawyer?
(Perhaps even stats regarding hiring a lawyer on a speeding charge would help)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”