How is gpa calculated?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Asif7187

How is gpa calculated?

Postby Asif7187 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:04 pm

If I transferred to a university from a junior college, could I take junior college classes after graduation from my university with these classes affecting the gpa I send in?

blurbz

Re: How is gpa calculated?

Postby blurbz » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:06 pm

No. Only classes taken prior to earning your first degree will count.

Asif7187

Postby Asif7187 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:11 pm

When is that door closed exactly? Does it close when I take my final undergraduate course at my university? Or does it close when I finish the requirements for my major?

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:59 pm

Asif7187 wrote:When is that door closed exactly? Does it close when I take my final undergraduate course at my university? Or does it close when I finish the requirements for my major?

Your final transcript should say something like "degree awarded". Basically all classes up to the point of walking the stage for your first BA or BS count--including community college and transfers. Anything after that--be it AA, BA, or MBA, don't count, besides a possible soft factor.

Asif7187

Postby Asif7187 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:44 pm

All right, one more thing...I have to sign a contract to take one more required course after I walk because it isn't being offered until the next fall. Does anything I take that fall count towards my gpa?

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:40 pm

Asif7187 wrote:All right, one more thing...I have to sign a contract to take one more required course after I walk because it isn't being offered until the next fall. Does anything I take that fall count towards my gpa?

I can't give you an answer on that. You should call LSAC and ask. Then call your school and see how/when the degree would be awarded.
If it turns out you dont technically graduate until the course is finished....and you want to improve your GPA then (if LSAC confirms this) you can retake or take additional classes.

Heres what I did:

I had 115 hours going into fall 2009 (so I took +15 final hours to equal the required 130 hr stipulation), but decided I wanted to get my GPA up. I spoke with a teacher for one of the classes I was currently taking that semester, and the teacher agreed to give me a withheld grade (WH=non-punitive) so technically, I hadn't met the requirement for graduation. I then stayed for spring, 2010. I took additional hours and then after finals week, I had my previous teacher go back in and change the grade from a "WH" to an "A"--actually to make it "official" I waited to turn in a huge paper until spring...so the short version is, you CAN manipulate the system as long as you haven't officially graduated.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:12 pm

Every class that shows up before your degree is conferred will count.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”