ED to UVA or Keep Waiting On UPENN

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Should I ED to UVA?

Yes-Only realistic shot at a top-10 now.
4
80%
No-Penn likely will accept you.
1
20%
 
Total votes: 5

surveyquestion
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:24 am

ED to UVA or Keep Waiting On UPENN

Postby surveyquestion » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:19 pm

Hey, I was initially ED at Penn, and was held for further review back in December.

I was waiting and waiting, and have only recently applied to UVA. I don't think I have any shot with the lateness of my app, but if I ED might have a shot.

I'm debating if this is a smart move. Penn is my 1st choice so I would feel dumb if I get in but can't go. Conversely, I'd prefer to be in a top-10 than my best current options: 1/2 schollies to Emory/ND and a full ride to IU: B.

My real question is what are the odds of being in off being held at UPenn? I hit the LSAT median, but am a splitter by Penn standards and people with better #'s are getting waitlisted left and right. Does the fact I applied ED still benefit me?

Please don't quote this as I'd like to delete this before Monday for anonymity reasons.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: ED to UVA or Keep Waiting On UPENN

Postby 09042014 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:27 pm

How did your apps to Michigan, Cornell, Duke, Northwestern and Georgetown go?

surveyquestion
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:24 am

Re: ED to UVA or Keep Waiting On UPENN

Postby surveyquestion » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:34 pm

Desert Fox wrote:How did your apps to Michigan, Cornell, Duke, Northwestern and Georgetown go?

Rejected at Cornell, waiting on Duke. Didn't apply to the others. I had a waiver to Northwestern but didn't use it cause I'm not crazy about the midwest and didn't think I had the right work experience. It was a dumb move on my part. I should've used it. I was rejected at UT and Vandy, and am waiting on USC and WUSTL. I had the #'s for all these places, but a lot didn't like my app. It wasn't an awful app as schools like ND and Emory specifically stated how strong it was - I was just the victim and benefactor of a very unique app and very subjective system. My resume is atypical, and my LOR's are not typical pre-law kinds of people bec. none existed in my life.
Last edited by surveyquestion on Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: ED to UVA or Keep Waiting On UPENN

Postby 09042014 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:38 pm

surveyquestion wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:How did your apps to Michigan, Cornell, Duke, Northwestern and Georgetown go?

Rejected at Cornell, waiting on Duke. Didn't apply to the others. I had a waiver to Northwestern but didn't use it cause I'm not crazy about the midwest and didn't think I had the right work experience. It was a dumb move on my part. I should've used it.


Unless you have numbers that are near auto admit at Duke, I think it's time to try for the ED at UVA. If neither UVA nor Penn comes through, you need to reapply next year without being picky.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: ED to UVA or Keep Waiting On UPENN

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:39 pm

Are we talking about this cycle? I thought ED deadline for UVA was March 1

surveyquestion
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:24 am

Re: ED to UVA or Keep Waiting On UPENN

Postby surveyquestion » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:40 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
surveyquestion wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:How did your apps to Michigan, Cornell, Duke, Northwestern and Georgetown go?

Rejected at Cornell, waiting on Duke. Didn't apply to the others. I had a waiver to Northwestern but didn't use it cause I'm not crazy about the midwest and didn't think I had the right work experience. It was a dumb move on my part. I should've used it.


Unless you have numbers that are near auto admit at Duke, I think it's time to try for the ED at UVA. If neither UVA nor Penn comes through, you need to reapply next year without being picky.

If they both don't come through, I'm prob going to Emory for 1/2 price. I can't wait another year. You'd ED to UPenn?

I know some Penn ED holds have been admitted or waitlisted. I'm still waiting. How much longer should I wait before I ED?

I don't need biglaw. I just want security.
Last edited by surveyquestion on Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

surveyquestion
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:24 am

Re: ED to UVA or Keep Waiting On UPENN

Postby surveyquestion » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:40 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:Are we talking about this cycle? I thought ED deadline for UVA was March 1

I actually submitted my app after March 1, and it went through fine. Please don't quote this. I'm sure I'm the only idiot who missed March 1 whose app was all uploaded and completed back in December.

surveyquestion
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:24 am

Re: ED to UVA or Keep Waiting On UPENN

Postby surveyquestion » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:42 pm

Is it suicide if I call up Penn, and explain my situation?

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: ED to UVA or Keep Waiting On UPENN

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:43 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure you can ED anymore. Although I think that is your best bet right now, being that it's so late. Also, why are you so concerned about anonymity? I don't think anyone will be able to ID you off of this sliver of information, and why the hell does it matter anyway? You're asking about ED contracts, not what the best way is to dispose of a dead body.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: ED to UVA or Keep Waiting On UPENN

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:43 pm

Q: Is it suicide if I call up Penn, and explain my situation?

That sounds completely retarded.

surveyquestion
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:24 am

Re: ED to UVA or Keep Waiting On UPENN

Postby surveyquestion » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:45 pm

If I can ED, should I do it?

Penn would be my first choice, but I'd prefer UVA to my 1/2 scholarship to Emory or anything below a 1/2 scholarship to USC.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: ED to UVA or Keep Waiting On UPENN

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:46 pm

Sorry, but if you want Penn so bad you should retake the LSAT and up your chances for next cycle. Otherwise, ED to UVA earlier next cycle if you have the numbers for it. Penn and UVA are essentially peer schools anyway. Penn might have a slight edge, but nothing like what you're making it out to be right now.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: ED to UVA or Keep Waiting On UPENN

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:46 pm

THE ED DEADLINE FOR UVA IS MARCH 1.

surveyquestion
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:24 am

Re: ED to UVA or Keep Waiting On UPENN

Postby surveyquestion » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:47 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:Sorry, but if you want Penn so bad you should retake the LSAT and up your chances for next cycle. Otherwise, ED to UVA earlier next cycle if you have the numbers for it. Penn and UVA are essentially peer schools anyway. Penn might have a slight edge, but nothing like what you're making it out to be right now.

My LSAT is above Penn's median. The problem is my GPA is substantially below it, and I can't wait a year. Emory at 1/2 scholarship long term would be better than losing a year in the field.

surveyquestion
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:24 am

Re: ED to UVA or Keep Waiting On UPENN

Postby surveyquestion » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:47 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:THE ED DEADLINE FOR UVA IS MARCH 1.

They said that about the app deadline as well.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: ED to UVA or Keep Waiting On UPENN

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:49 pm

ok, first of all, CHILL THE FUCK OUT. fine, throw an ED contract to UVA, whatever. this late in the game, though, i'd guess UVA is quite picky about who they are letting in, ED or RD.

surveyquestion
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:24 am

Re: ED to UVA or Keep Waiting On UPENN

Postby surveyquestion » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:56 pm

lol i'm chilled out. i just wanted quick answers cause i need to have a plan in place asap.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: ED to UVA or Keep Waiting On UPENN

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:00 pm

honestly, you didn't plan this cycle out very well. you didn't apply to michigan, NU, or georgetown? or berk? waiting to throw an ED app to UVA after their ED deadline, which is the latest in the t14? held at Penn in december and asking about other ED's now? this is kind of a fail on your part, and you deserve to be scrambling right now.

surveyquestion
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:24 am

Re: ED to UVA or Keep Waiting On UPENN

Postby surveyquestion » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:04 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:honestly, you didn't plan this cycle out very well. you didn't apply to michigan, NU, or georgetown? or berk? waiting to throw an ED app to UVA after their ED deadline, which is the latest in the t14? held at Penn in december and asking about other ED's now? this is kind of a fail on your part, and you deserve to be scrambling right now.

I didn't really want to live in Chicago or Michigan and didn't get fee waivers to Michigan, GT and Berkley where I assumed I had no shot in as a splitter with a disciplinary record. Unless I got some money, I'd rather live in Atlanta on a half scholarship than pay sticker to a school like GT.

I kept on waiting because people told me that I had a very good shot at UPenn as I'm held, not waitlisted and that I should just play it out.

User avatar
Malcolm8X
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:56 pm

Re: ED to UVA or Keep Waiting On UPENN

Postby Malcolm8X » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:09 pm

I'd send a very well thought out LOCI to Penn. I didn't vote btw because I refuse to debate something that's most likely a moot question.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: ED to UVA or Keep Waiting On UPENN

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:12 pm

yeah, you need to let UVA go. if you wanted to go to UVA you would have ED'd there long ago. also, as far as throwing them a late app, they aren't going to refuse $90 from you, which is what you paid them to apply, so it's pretty obvious why they didn't refuse your application because it was sent after March 1.

i've done a lot of LSN trolling and i've seen Penn kids get WL/rejected after being held, and also get accepted (after ED.) who knows how it will be for you, but for those who told you you'd probably get in because it's a hold instead of a WL, that is false.

surveyquestion
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:24 am

Re: ED to UVA or Keep Waiting On UPENN

Postby surveyquestion » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:14 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:yeah, you need to let UVA go. if you wanted to go to UVA you would have ED'd there long ago. also, as far as throwing them a late app, they aren't going to refuse $90 from you, which is what you paid them to apply, so it's pretty obvious why they didn't refuse your application because it was sent after March 1.

i've done a lot of LSN trolling and i've seen Penn kids get WL/rejected after being held, and also get accepted. who knows how it will be for you, but for those who told you you'd probably get in because it's a hold instead of a WL, that is false.

they didn't say probably - they said it was about 50/50 which seems like a worthy risk because half price to emory isn't so bad.

i think i can still ed to uva. btw, i had an lsat fee waiver so they didn't make anything - only lsac did.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: ED to UVA or Keep Waiting On UPENN

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:15 pm

surveyquestion wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:yeah, you need to let UVA go. if you wanted to go to UVA you would have ED'd there long ago. also, as far as throwing them a late app, they aren't going to refuse $90 from you, which is what you paid them to apply, so it's pretty obvious why they didn't refuse your application because it was sent after March 1.

i've done a lot of LSN trolling and i've seen Penn kids get WL/rejected after being held, and also get accepted. who knows how it will be for you, but for those who told you you'd probably get in because it's a hold instead of a WL, that is false.

they didn't say probably - they said it was about 50/50 which seems like a worthy risk because half price to emory isn't so bad.

i think i can still ed to uva. btw, i had an lsat fee waiver so they didn't make anything - only lsac did.

fine, then you're increasing their selectivity if you don't get in. there is no benefit for law schools to refuse applications from anyone.

surveyquestion
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:24 am

Re: ED to UVA or Keep Waiting On UPENN

Postby surveyquestion » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:17 pm

That's true, but there is nothing lost from letting me apply ED. I think they'll go through - if it can go through then should I do it is the question here.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: ED to UVA or Keep Waiting On UPENN

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:17 pm

it sounds like you don't really want to go to UVA though. you only want to ED so you can get into the elusive "top 10". a lot of people on this site would advise against EDing for that reason alone.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], xnsch, Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests