Splitter Retake?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
alexonfyre

Splitter Retake?

Postby alexonfyre » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:02 pm

Hey guys, I am a pretty severe splitter (2.9/166) with average softs. I know the t14 is out for me, but my plan is to apply to regional schools in areas I really want to work in: places like Tulane, GSU, George Washington, Forham, UC-Hastings, UC-Davis, Lewis and Clark, and Kent-IIT/Loyola-Chicago are the most prominent. I have also been told by many people (including TLS) to write a GPA addendum, since my circumstances were severe and I have an extreme upward grade trend (0.0 to 3.7) and I have 2 years of working experience (since graduation) in a law related field which plays heavily into why I plan to go into law, and what I want to do. I only did about 2 weeks worth of studying for the LSAT because I found out I could take it on very short notice.
What I need help with:
Is my 166 good enough to pursue that path or should I study more and retake again during the summer?

beachbum

Re: Splitter Retake?

Postby beachbum » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:07 pm

Retake. If you only studied for 2 weeks, you can do significantly better than you 166. Since Chicago seems to be one of your target markets, shoot for a ~171 and ED to Northwestern. This is probably as good as you're gonna get in terms of both job prospects and value, as you're unlikely to get big (game-changing) scholarships at most other worthwhile schools. Though you might also want to add Illinois and WUSTL to your app list.

TTH

Postby TTH » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:20 pm

Study up for the LSAT and retake. I don't know if a 171 gets you to Northwestern, but it definitely gets you into some T1s and probably with money.

alexonfyre

Postby alexonfyre » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:24 pm

beachbum wrote:Retake. If you only studied for 2 weeks, you can do significantly better than you 166. Since Chicago seems to be one of your target markets, shoot for a ~171 and ED to Northwestern. This is probably as good as you're gonna get in terms of both job prospects and value, as you're unlikely to get big (game-changing) scholarships at most other worthwhile schools. Though you might also want to add Illinois and WUSTL to your app list.

Actually, based on what many people have told me, I have a reasonable shot at UIUC, so it is on my list, I haven't thought about WashU yet.
One big problem is that the February test is undisclosed, so I have no idea what I need to work on. However, I imagine studying for 4 months, I could get a 171. I say this because on my timed practice tests I got a 165, but on my non-timed test I got a 173.

I will look into taking a class and retaking in the summer, but as it was this time, I won't know for sure when I can take it again due to my hectic work schedule.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:26 pm

beachbum wrote:Retake. If you only studied for 2 weeks, you can do significantly better than you 166.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:35 pm

alexonfyre wrote:
beachbum wrote:Retake. If you only studied for 2 weeks, you can do significantly better than you 166. Since Chicago seems to be one of your target markets, shoot for a ~171 and ED to Northwestern. This is probably as good as you're gonna get in terms of both job prospects and value, as you're unlikely to get big (game-changing) scholarships at most other worthwhile schools. Though you might also want to add Illinois and WUSTL to your app list.

Actually, based on what many people have told me, I have a reasonable shot at UIUC, so it is on my list, I haven't thought about WashU yet.
One big problem is that the February test is undisclosed, so I have no idea what I need to work on. However, I imagine studying for 4 months, I could get a 171. I say this because on my timed practice tests I got a 165, but on my non-timed test I got a 173.

I will look into taking a class and retaking in the summer, but as it was this time, I won't know for sure when I can take it again due to my hectic work schedule.

UIUC's median LSAT is 167, so with that GPA and a 166, an admit is unlikely. Yes, I got into UIUC with a 166/3.7, but if you look on LSN (likely thanks to a stellar LOR and applying super early), most people with similar numbers were waitlisted or rejected. Almost all with a 166 and <3.3 GPA were rejected. You would probably need a 168+ for UIUC.
IUB might be a good option, though.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:29 pm

Take it in June and if not 170+ then September. Sitting on that 166 all summer would be fail.

alexonfyre

Postby alexonfyre » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:14 pm

Sandro wrote:Take it in June and if not 170+ then September. Sitting on that 166 all summer would be fail.

Okay, thanks guys, I am going to sign up for the June LSAT and take a class (the only way I will be able to study consistently is a class I can schedule around.)
Hopefully I can get past my time issues and rock that test. If anyone else has any pointers I would really appreciate them.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”