You will be replaced by a computer.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
FalafelWaffle

Re: You will be replaced by a computer.

Postby FalafelWaffle » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:32 pm

ahduth wrote:Don't go to a school where you might only be able to get a job doing doc review:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/05/science/05legal.html

So firms can't charge a testicle for discovery anymore--boohoo. By which I mean, +1 for efficiency. Sorry, but I can't argue with a program that efficiently analyzes information. Computer software still can't litigate, as far as I can tell. If you work in doc review, you're fucked anyway, but the amount of money that the legal sector consumes is astronomical. I really don't weep for the fact that the discovery process can't be dragged out and profited off of as much as it used to. That is good news for literally everyone who is not a lawyer representing corporate clients. What wealth does the legal industry produce, and will it really matter if the amount of private sector money it siphons drops, for people other than unemployed lawyers? And I say this as someone interested in litigation. As for the other effects on the industry, I just don't know.
Last edited by FalafelWaffle on Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hannibal

Re: You will be replaced by a computer.

Postby Hannibal » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:37 pm

I'm not sure about the equivalency of court reporting to lawyers in terms of dollars, though I do know that seasoned reporters can make a whole lot of money (one I'm talking about works roughly 20 hours/week, makes $70-90k/year). But I also think the lawyer's desire to have a person behind the report, someone there who can read a transcript back to them, can be yelled at or commended, probably goes double for doc review.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”