Best schools for extreme splitters? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
neonx

Silver

Re: Best schools for extreme splitters?

Post by neonx » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:34 pm

What's with TLS's perennial obsession with encouraging applicants to ED to schools? I don't understand it, and quite frankly, am glad I never followed that awful advice. Unless you are absolutely convinced UVA or Northwestern is absolutely where you want to be for the next three years (meaning no other school's acceptance would draw you away), I would strongly advise against it.

In terms of splitter friendly schools in the T14, my splitter friends had success with: (1) Northwestern, (2) Michigan, and (3) Duke. Also, Berkeley is "holistic" (hard to predict.)
Last edited by neonx on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:35 pm

This question is repetitive, yet the answer never changes.

Yes there are curtain school that are friendlier to splitters however with splitters it always comes down to individual applications. Why were your grades so low? How did you handle the problem? Did you grow and learn from it etc, etc etc?

If you look on LSN there are individuals that got in Michigan with 170+ and 3.07 yet there are individuals that got rejected with 175+ and 3.7+

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:38 pm

neonx wrote:What's with TLS's perennial obsession with encouraging applicants to ED to schools? I don't understand it, and quite frankly, am glad I never followed that awful advice. Unless you are absolutely convinced UVA or Northwestern is absolutely where you want to be for the next three years (meaning no other school's acceptance would draw you away), I would strongly advise against it.

In terms of splitter friendly schools in the T14, my splitter friends had success with: (1) Northwestern, (2) Michigan, and (3) Duke. Also, Berkeley is "holistic" (hard to predict.)
+1

A lot of people say Michigan is holistic as well

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:43 am

neonx wrote:What's with TLS's perennial obsession with encouraging applicants to ED to schools? I don't understand it, and quite frankly, am glad I never followed that awful advice. Unless you are absolutely convinced UVA or Northwestern is absolutely where you want to be for the next three years (meaning no other school's acceptance would draw you away), I would strongly advise against it.

Duke and Berkeley? With a 2.7?

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:06 am

Bumi wrote:

And Michigan. I've never seen a non URM get into Michigan with a 2.7 or even below 3.0.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:50 am

I seriously doubt that Duke, Berkeley, and Michigan regularly accepts non-URM applicants whose GPAs are below a 2.7 even with a 180...

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:07 am

mettasutta wrote:PT programs at most schools that have them have historically been easier to get into than FT, but thanks to USNWR now factoring the numbers for incoming PT students, this sadly may change.

Quote from TLS profile on GULC: "Traditionally, the part-time program has been easier to gain acceptance to, but with US News’ recent decision to take part time numbers into consideration when determining a school’s overall ranking, this disparity might soon vanish."
Oh wow.. I wasn't aware of that change. So when do the part time student numbers start getting factored into equation? That definitely seems like it could affect GULC rank. Do other T14s even have part-time programs?

BrianGriffintheDog

Bronze

Post by BrianGriffintheDog » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:08 am

I'm not sure if Washington U would be considered to be one of "best schools," but for a school that's within top 20, they seem to be VERY generous in terms of scholarship to splitters--like seriously. I kinda like the school's generosity 'cause you're not going to be forced to go for big law just because of massive debts. It gives you various other options/fields that you actually want to practice for various personal reasons.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:18 am

NU and Gtown are really the only schools you have anything more than a negligible chance at if you have below 3.0. Michigan is pretty splitter friendly but it's a soft floor at 3.1. UVA with ED is probably the best splitter school if you have a 3.0+. Cornell is usually not good but it happens. I assume they accept good excuses and what not. Duke is bad, Berkley is terrible. Penn is mediocre. Soft floor at 3, but low 3.X usually requires a higher 17X.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:32 am

dpk711 wrote:

I seriously doubt that Duke, Berkeley, and Michigan regularly accepts non-URM applicants whose GPAs are below a 2.7 even with a 180...
yes, TITCR. i think some people were confusing your nunmbers with your student's (probably wasn;t a great idea to include your own #s for absolutely no raeson)

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:00 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
Bumi wrote:

And Michigan. I've never seen a non URM get into Michigan with a 2.7 or even below 3.0.
Below 2.7 probably not.

In between 2.8-3.0 yes-very few

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:49 pm

Miracle wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:
Bumi wrote:

Below 2.7 probably not.

In between 2.8-3.0 yes-very few
Nobody on LSN, except 1 URM going back 5 years. You see acceptances down to 3.0 and then none.

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:59 pm

Nobody on LSN, except 1 URM going back 5 years. You see acceptances down to 3.0 and then none.[/quote]

LSN is just a fraction of all applicants. I'm not on LSN and I was accepted with a GPA below 3.0 (without the fall grades).

If she had 2.9+ i would say she does have a chance with a good application.

With 2.7 I do agree she doesn't have any chance

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:03 pm

She has around a 2.6. From all the comments so far I'm sensing the best choice she has is WUSTL with a 170+ score, or maybe just maybe NU ED since she has a year of full-time WE.

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:06 pm

dpk711 wrote:She has around a 2.6. From all the comments so far I'm sensing the best choice she has is WUSTL with a 170+ score, or maybe just maybe NU ED since she has a year of full-time WE.
She has 2.6 with 120 credits?

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:07 pm

Miracle wrote:
dpk711 wrote:She has around a 2.6. From all the comments so far I'm sensing the best choice she has is WUSTL with a 170+ score, or maybe just maybe NU ED since she has a year of full-time WE.
Not sure how many credits but she graduated from a state school with an LSAC GPA of around 2.6.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:08 pm

Miracle wrote:
god, that is so deplorable. did you slap the shit out of her? hope so

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:08 pm

dpk711 wrote:
Miracle wrote:
Not sure how many credits but she graduated from a state school with an LSAC GPA of around 2.6.
That means she has 120 credits. She can't graduate without receiving 120+ credits.

Thats not good!

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:10 pm

Miracle wrote:
dpk711 wrote:
Miracle wrote:
That means she has 120 credits. She can't graduate without receiving 120+ credits.

Thats not good!
It really isn't an optimal situation for her, but she has a lot of potential. She scored a 162 on her diag and I believe she will eventually be able to get a score deep into the 170s. I guess its WUSTL for her or bust!

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:15 pm

let's just apply conventional wisdom to this situation. if i was an adcomm looking at her app, i'd be like "wow, this person has absolutely zero work ethic and probably studied marginally more for the LSAT because she wanted to get some high paying biglaw job so she can be rich like her parents." that is basically what her application is saying about her if she has a relatively easy major and wasn't like first gen college student who had to work FT through undergrad to make ends meet.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:24 pm

yeah, not even a tear-jerking addendum could cloak that sort of GPA...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:40 pm

dpk711 wrote:yeah, not even a tear-jerking addendum could cloak that sort of GPA...
Well it could, if she had to work full time, had some sort of illness, or learning disability etc. The problem is she has a 2.6 with 120 credits and no valid excuse.

I met a girl who got in michigan with 2.9, and all her addendum stated was that she had to work full time to support herself

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:35 pm

Last edited by 09042014 on Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:35 pm

Miracle wrote: LSN is just a fraction of all applicants. I'm not on LSN and I was accepted with a GPA below 3.0 (without the fall grades).

2.98 is 3.0.

Also aren't you hispanic? That might help.

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:39 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Miracle wrote: LSN is just a fraction of all applicants. I'm not on LSN and I was accepted with a GPA below 3.0 (without the fall grades).

2.98 is 3.0.

Also aren't you hispanic? That might help.
Hispanic???? NO! I don't have URM status

and how is 2.98, 3.0!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”