Question on a rerake scenario

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bport hopeful

Question on a rerake scenario

Postby bport hopeful » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:22 am

So I took the LSAT in October and scored a 166. This was at the low end of my PTs and was actually the result something I misread in a LG section. LG was always my best section, I usually missed 0 or 1. This time I missed 7 (one from a different set of questions and all six on the set that I misread). The section that I fouled up on was extremely simple, making this even more frustrating. I decided not to take in December for a few reasons. The first being that it was the weekend between my last day of classes and finals. The second being that I wasnt yet familiar with TLS and saw my score as still being a good score.

I am in the middle of my cycle now, but I applied late so I still havnt heard from any schools (except Emory where a 166 is auto admit).

Now Im considering taking in June. Largely because I want to see what I can really do, but I am wondering if it would help me in a transfer situation should I decide to matriculate in the fall?

Any suggestions are welcome, even sarcastic ones.

blurbz

Re: Question on a rerake scenario

Postby blurbz » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:28 am

It won't help you (much if at all) in transferring.

If you retake in June and decide to wait, what would you do with your gap year?

harrijust86

Postby harrijust86 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:30 am

bport hopeful wrote:So I took the LSAT in October and scored a 166. This was at the low end of my PTs and was actually the result something I misread in a LG section. LG was always my best section, I usually missed 0 or 1. This time I missed 7 (one from a different set of questions and all six on the set that I misread). The section that I fouled up on was extremely simple, making this even more frustrating. I decided not to take in December for a few reasons. The first being that it was the weekend between my last day of classes and finals. The second being that I wasnt yet familiar with TLS and saw my score as still being a good score.

I am in the middle of my cycle now, but I applied late so I still havnt heard from any schools (except Emory where a 166 is auto admit).

Now Im considering taking in June. Largely because I want to see what I can really do, but I am wondering if it would help me in a transfer situation should I decide to matriculate in the fall?

Any suggestions are welcome, even sarcastic ones.

I dont know why people can't just rake their yards completely the first time. Ruhhh-rrooohh

Que up the next ten people screaming "Retake, ED to UVA"

I say if you can get in to a school you WANT to go to, go.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:32 am

Honestly, I cant see myself waiting a year. My GPA sucks (3.12) so a great LSAT isnt going to sky rocket me into t14 or anything. I really just don't want my screw up number to be my real number. Before I started studying for the LSAT, I thought I wanted to go to Pitt, and thats all but a sure thing now (knock on wood), so anywhere I end up is better off than I had originally expected.

If I thought a retake was going to redefine my life, I might take a year off, but I just really don't see it with my GPA.

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:35 am

"Question on a rerake scenario"
^Thread title is subtle anti-asian trolling.

Since transfer lsat scores don't help a school in the USN&WR rankings system, an improved score will be of marginal benefit to your transfer attempt. You should study like mad, retake in june, and if you score 170 or better, forget emory and blanket the t-14 with applications in early september. If you don't score 170 or better, start a new thread asking the omniscient collective that is TLS, what you should do.

edit: ED TO UVA!!!!!!!!

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:37 am

well-hello-there wrote:"Question on a rerake scenario"

Since transfer lsat scores don't help a school in the USN&WR rankings system, an improved score will be of marginal benefit to your transfer attempt. You should study like mad, retake in june, and if you score 170 or better, forget emory and blanket the t-14 with applications in early september. If you don't score 170 or better, start a new thread asking the omniscient collective that is TLS, what you should do.

I mean, couldn't I put down a deposit somewhere? Then if I do blow the test up, I can just withdraw and lose my deposit money. And if I dont do a lot better, I can just attend.

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:39 am

bport hopeful wrote:If I thought a retake was going to redefine my life

oh but it can...and it WILL!
bport hopeful wrote:

I mean, couldn't I put down a deposit somewhere? Then if I do blow the test up, I can just withdraw and lose my deposit money. And if I dont do a lot better, I can just attend.

yeah, exactly. That's what I would do in your situation

beidoun

Postby beidoun » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:41 am

bport hopeful wrote:

Thats exactly what I would do. But only if you are happy attending the school you will be putting your deposit on.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:42 am

bport hopeful wrote:

Sounds like the best plan--but only take the year if your test is great and you can find something you enjoy to do for the year!

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:44 am

Six more questions right on that October test and you WOULD have blowed up that test. You're definitely capable of 170+. If you retake and score a 170 but then decide you don't want to wait another year, you should be able to leverage some scholarship money from emory. You can't lose on a retake. If you bomb the June test, you'll know it and you can just cancel your score and go to emory anyway.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:45 am

Thanks for the advice. Looks like Im LSAT bound. And I though I was done with it.

As far as being happy, I don't think it will be a problem. I didn't really apply anywhere I couldnt see myself living. Like I said, before I knew I could do well on the LSAT, I was looking at Pitt. And I love the city so I think it would be a great place to live. I just don't want to sell myself short. Its sort of a strange feeling. I wish Pitt was a better school, because I really do love it there.

Even now that I got in at Emory, I am second guessing the Pitt thing. If I could score a 170+, I wouldn't even consider going there though.

All I know is the real world sucks and I dont want to make my own decisions (enter "are you sure you're reading for law school" responses.

But anyway, thanks for the advice everyone. If anyone else has other ideas, still welcome.

BrianGriffintheDog

Postby BrianGriffintheDog » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:55 am

If you truly believe that 166 isn't your true potential and if you're actually going seriously study, I think you should retake and don't settle for a bronze medal. Go for the gold!

RockyIII

Postby RockyIII » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:29 am

BrianGriffintheDog wrote:If you truly believe that 166 isn't your true potential and if you're actually going seriously study, I think you should retake and don't settle for a bronze medal. Go for the gold!

Gold = WUSTL?
Last edited by RockyIII on Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

harrijust86

Postby harrijust86 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:29 pm

come on people... only 6 so far. I need 4 more to proclaim myself the next Nostradamus! Bump

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:10 pm

harrijust86 wrote:come on people... only 6 so far. I need 4 more to proclaim myself the next Nostradamus! Bump

Not for nothing, but these aren't people just writing retake. They are giving reasons, and also, I pretty much said I was going to retake. The conversation is more geared around what I would do after retake. But I do appreciate the bumping.

RickyRoe

Postby RickyRoe » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:18 pm

Retake would also help in case of a WL this year.

albusdumbledore

Postby albusdumbledore » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:19 pm

I'd say if you've left leaves on the ground, it's a definite rerake.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:21 pm

albusdumbledore wrote:I'd say if you've left leaves on the ground, it's a definite rerake.

Albus, always so wise.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”