Two questions: Additional Personal Statement/Waitlist

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kid charlemagne

Two questions: Additional Personal Statement/Waitlist

Postby kid charlemagne » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:02 pm

Hello all...I've got two questions for you all.

1.) I recently found out that I was added onto the waitlist at Tulane. I plan on sending in a letter of continued interest. But, is it acceptable for me to e-mail the university asking what number I am on their waitlist or is that considered a no-no?

2.) My "new" top school (since I got dinged by the other two) has my current status as, "Your file is complete and ready for review." It has my status as, "File is complete 1/25". Would it be acceptable to send them a letter of continued interest stating that they are my top school, I plan to immediately enroll if offered admission, etc. before they have even submitted a decision? I figured it couldn't hurt my chances? Or could it....?

Thanks!

CanadianWolf

Re: Two questions: Additional Personal Statement/Waitlist

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:08 pm

Assuming that the law schools are not among the Top 14, then showing interest & a willingness to commit should help. (Top 14 law schools assume strong interest & might be annoyed by continued non-substantive contact.)

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:51 pm

so if you are on the waitlist, and the school did not ask for a letter of continuing interest, no mention of it at all, is it better to send one or not?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:26 pm

Always send a LOCI.

From Joyce Putnam Curll, former Dean of Admissions at Harvard Law School for 18 years & 16 years as NYU Law School's Director of Admissions: "...take action right away to let them know that you are still interested."
"...consider sending a letter of recommendation from a new source and/or update your activities or accomplishments...new grades or new honors received...." page 207 The Best Law Schools' Admissions Secrets (2008).

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:10 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Always send a LOCI.

From Joyce Putnam Curll, former Dean of Admissions at Harvard Law School for 18 years & 16 years as NYU Law School's Director of Admissions: "...take action right away to let them know that you are still interested."
"...consider sending a letter of recommendation from a new source and/or update your activities or accomplishments...new grades or new honors received...." page 207 The Best Law Schools' Admissions Secrets (2008).

thank u for the info, would u usually do it by e-mail or regular usps?

kid charlemagne

Postby kid charlemagne » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:49 pm

But, should I send in a letter of continued interest before the law school has even rendered a decision? All it says on my status checker is that my application is complete? I would like to send in a letter letting them know they are my top choice, etc. in hopes of being accepted. Does this seem like a good idea?

Spookyghost

Postby Spookyghost » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:50 pm

kid charlemagne wrote:Hello all...I've got two questions for you all.

1.) I recently found out that I was added onto the waitlist at Tulane. I plan on sending in a letter of continued interest. But, is it acceptable for me to e-mail the university asking what number I am on their waitlist or is that considered a no-no?

Thanks!

Regarding this, and this is off topic, but what were your numbers? I'm currently waiting to hear back from Tulane myself.

kid charlemagne

Postby kid charlemagne » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:04 pm

3.2/162

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”