Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CP2323

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby CP2323 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:40 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:
CP2323 wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:
CP2323 wrote:I could get into JAG as a non URM if the Navy hadn't already broken me. :cry:

Did you go to a really good LS? I know 3 people that applied to the JAG programs in various branches post LS and not one got through. One was even a girl. Don't you need really solid numbers?

Prior service with a really good service record. :mrgreen:

I haven't attended Law School yet. I know that I would have been super competitive for JAG though if I wasn't a 50% disabled veteran and unable to pass the PRT anymore.

Sorry to here about your disability. Thank you for your service to our country.

On a brighter note, however, is there any chance of getting uncle sam to pay for your legal education now?

If I go to a public school and get in state tution then 27 months will be fully paid for. So far that looks like Public school in Ohio, Florida, or maybe Arizona. Otherwise I will have to see if I qualify for scholarships to offset some of the costs in other States.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:40 pm

I pity the fool who doesn't go to UF or FSU. Or Stetson and Miami on anything less than a full scholarship or close to it.

So ranking the rest of the FL schools is fairly pointless.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:23 am

rad law wrote:I pity the fool who doesn't go to UF or FSU. Or Stetson and Miami on anything less than a full scholarship or close to it.

So ranking the rest of the FL schools is fairly pointless.

Rad Law= Mr.T?

RockyIII

Postby RockyIII » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:42 am

lol @ OP thinking Stetson has a "good" international law program and that something like that matters....at all.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:46 am

RockyIII wrote:lol @ OP thinking Stetson has a "good" international law program and that something like that matters....at all.

Yeah forgot about that. lololololololololololol

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:25 am

RockyIII wrote:lol @ OP thinking Stetson has a "good" international law program and that something like that matters....at all.

I like how you read that, but you didn't read the other comment I wrote to you. :?

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:31 am

as usual it becomes a florida school bashing session

nodummy

Postby nodummy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:23 pm

There's nothing wrong with paying sticker at Miami or other Florida schools. Miami is a good school that will open doors (outside of Florida, too) IF you do well.

Some of the people on TLS, specifically those with an unusually high number of posts, are spending way too much time commenting and not enough time worrying about their gpa's and/or careers.

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:30 pm

powerful statement. especially the sticker comment. i am considering stetson with scholly but still waiting on uf/fsu. i was accepted at miami with no money. i really dont have the stomach or funds to pay sticker anywhere.

nodummy

Postby nodummy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:50 pm

drummerboy wrote:powerful statement. especially the sticker comment. i am considering stetson with scholly but still waiting on uf/fsu. i was accepted at miami with no money. i really dont have the stomach or funds to pay sticker anywhere.

How much is Stetson offering you? In the long run you will make your money back--assuming you do well--with a degree from a better school (and lay prestige does hold some merit).

I've been told that after three or four years practicing it doesn't matter where you went to school. That said, the alumni networks from schools with a national presence (Miami, UF) vs those regional schools (Stetson, FSU) can help throughout your career.

Paying more than you'd like for the better school (which can be defined on many levels) seems to be the best choice, despite the bad economy, shifting legal market.

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:53 pm

interesting perspective. ill ponder it

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:56 pm

nodummy wrote:There's nothing wrong with paying sticker at Miami or other Florida schools. Miami is a good school that will open doors (outside of Florida, too) IF you do well.

Some of the people on TLS, specifically those with an unusually high number of posts, are spending way too much time commenting and not enough time worrying about their gpa's and/or careers.

Give me any factual or statistical evidence backing this claim. Nodummy, I guarantee Rad is in a better school than you are. Way to make an original and interesting insult towards him that hasn't been done 1000 times before.

nodummy

Postby nodummy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:10 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
nodummy wrote:There's nothing wrong with paying sticker at Miami or other Florida schools. Miami is a good school that will open doors (outside of Florida, too) IF you do well.

Give me any factual or statistical evidence backing this claim. Nodummy, I guarantee Rad is in a better school than you are. Way to make an original and interesting insult towards him that hasn't been done 1000 times before.

"...Rad is in a better law school than you are." Really? How old are you? This kind of talk reminds me of first or second grade type shit on the playground.

And if you want some facts or stats call a few Miami law firms, ask what they think. If you talk to a partner or someone who's been around a while they'll likely repeat my sentiments. Not sure how you can really get facts or stats on something as subjective as this, though.

It all depends on what you want to do, the kind of career you're aiming to make...the better school for you could be UDC, which is TTTT but focuses on public service and is extremely cheap. For someone else it could be Miami at sticker.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:28 pm

So to be sure, you've made a completely baseless statement contrary to the general consensus of TLS and your means of backing it up is saying "talk to people"? I have. In Miami. They say UM is going downhill fast. See how that works?

You're saying the guy should worry about his gpa and career instead of posting in TLS and then accuse me of making first grade insults? Pot, meet kettle.

You're giving ABSOLUTELY BASELESS advice that people may actually listen to that could reinforce their idea to go $160,000 in debt. Show me an iota of analytical ability by demonstrating just how much monthly payments are to pay back that debt. Then remind me why taking on that debt, which ends up being over $200k because of interest, is a good idea.
Last edited by FeelTheHeat on Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CP2323

Postby CP2323 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:31 pm

nodummy wrote:
drummerboy wrote:powerful statement. especially the sticker comment. i am considering stetson with scholly but still waiting on uf/fsu. i was accepted at miami with no money. i really dont have the stomach or funds to pay sticker anywhere.

How much is Stetson offering you? In the long run you will make your money back--assuming you do well--with a degree from a better school (and lay prestige does hold some merit).

I've been told that after three or four years practicing it doesn't matter where you went to school. That said, the alumni networks from schools with a national presence (Miami, UF) vs those regional schools (Stetson, FSU) can help throughout your career.

Paying more than you'd like for the better school (which can be defined on many levels) seems to be the best choice, despite the bad economy, shifting legal market.

You made one mistake there. The correction is:

National Presence (UF, FSU) vs Regional Schools (Stetson, Miami)

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:34 pm

Sticker for Miami? Almost $200k? Surely you jest. Biglaw is one of the only ways to effectively pay off this debt without becoming a pauper.

Miami is a highly desirable market for those from T25ish schools with connections to the city. Combine that with SA classes are down. Judging from NALP, there are maybe like 40-50 2L and 1L SA spots in whole city. A few firms still aren't hiring. The ones that do hire tend to be hiring 3, 4, 5 SAs maybe. Small classes, unlike years past when the economy was good. Firms love to have their pick of highly prestigious schools and will take them over UM grads with regularity.

Even assuming that Miami snapped up all the SA's left in the city, that would be only 10%ish of the people getting Biglaw. But judging from Calton Fields's most recent class, nothing even close to this is happening. Not a single UM student hired at the Miami office (or in all of FL). Oh and by the way, Carlton Fields in one of the few firms that is actually doing well in the new economy. --LinkRemoved--

Recent hiring statistics confirm this, as UM does not even make the Top 50 for NLJ250 (rough approximation for biglaw) placement). The cutoff for #50 was 11%. What specific percentage we don't know, but judging from the state of FL's legal economy, it's horrendous. http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1

UM doesn't even lock down the local market. UF's prestige is equal to or greater than UM's in South FL.

Debt should be the #1 issue for prospective UM students, as it will be sheer, dumb luck whether you land a biglaw SA. Anyone without full tuition or close to it needs to do some soul searching, as COL alone will put you close to $60k in the hole for three years. Small firms are available if you want to work for $35k-$50k in a high COL area. Local govts. are cash strapped and aren't hiring many, if at all.

Technically, your point "Miami at sticker is a good bet if you do well" is true. But since you can't predict being in the top 10%, your point is not well-received.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:37 pm

rad law wrote:

Sticker for Miami? Almost $200k? Surely you jest. Biglaw is one of the only ways to effectively pay off this debt without becoming a pauper.

Miami is a highly desirable market for those from T25ish schools with connections to the city. Combine that with SA classes are down. Judging from NALP, there are maybe like 40-50 2L and 1L SA spots in whole city. A few firms still aren't hiring. The ones that do hire tend to be hiring 3, 4, 5 SAs maybe. Small classes, unlike years past when the economy was good. Firms love to have their pick of highly prestigious schools and will take them over UM grads with regularity.

Even assuming that Miami snapped up all the SA's left in the city, that would be only 10%ish of the people getting Biglaw. But judging from Calton Fields's most recent class, nothing even close to this is happening. Not a single UM student hired at the Miami office (or in all of FL). Oh and by the way, Carlton Fields in one of the few firms that is actually doing well in the new economy. --LinkRemoved--

Recent hiring statistics confirm this, as UM does not even make the Top 50 for NLJ250 (rough approximation for biglaw) placement). The cutoff for #50 was 11%. What specific percentage we don't know, but judging from the state of FL's legal economy, it's horrendous. http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1

UM doesn't even lock down the local market. UF's prestige is equal to or greater than UM's in South FL.

Debt should be the #1 issue for prospective UM students, as it will be sheer, dumb luck whether you land a biglaw SA. Anyone without full tuition or close to it needs to do some soul searching, as COL alone will put you close to $60k in the hole for three years. Small firms are available if you want to work for $35k-$50k in a high COL area. Local govts. are cash strapped and aren't hiring many, if at all.

Technically, your point "Miami at sticker is a good bet if you do well" is true. But since you can't predict being in the top 10%, your point is not well-received.

Love seeing an FSU grad on the Carlton Fields SA, even if it is 1 of 200 lol

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:41 pm

and boom goes the dynamite

--ImageRemoved--

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:42 pm

CP2323 wrote:
nodummy wrote:

I'm confused, where are any of these schools getting even a taste of national presence from?

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:49 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
CP2323 wrote:
nodummy wrote:

I'm confused, where are any of these schools getting even a taste of national presence from?

^^^^^^^ This lol

CP2323

Postby CP2323 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:53 pm

Sorry I keep forgetting that here on TLS only t4 and maybe t6 have national prestige. :oops:

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:57 pm

CP2323 wrote:Sorry I keep forgetting that here on TLS only t4 and maybe t6 have national prestige. :oops:

that's all fine and great that you enjoy building up strawmen for the entire website. But please do tell me, how many California/Boston/NewYork/Chicago/Texas firms recruited at UF, Miami, or FSU this year?

CP2323

Postby CP2323 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:11 pm

I didn't realize that people's only goal was BigLaw. There is name recognition that comes into play other then Big Law. Schools that are known nationally will be an asset to hiring. Maybe not in Big Law since they have their pick of the top 14, but national prestige comes into play when you want to move around the nation. You ask someone in Chicago, NYC, or any other market if they have heard of UF or FSU, they have heard of them. Same thing can't be said of Stetson.

That is the definition of being known nationally.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:19 pm

CP2323 wrote:I didn't realize that people's only goal was BigLaw. There is name recognition that comes into play other then Big Law. Schools that are known nationally will be an asset to hiring. Maybe not in Big Law since they have their pick of the top 14, but national prestige comes into play when you want to move around the nation. You ask someone in Chicago, NYC, or any other market if they have heard of UF or FSU, they have heard of them. Same thing can't be said of Stetson.

That is the definition of having premiere college football teams.

FTFY.

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:20 pm

ok how about miami as far as recognition

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”