Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TOMaHULK
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:40 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby TOMaHULK » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:47 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:
Morgan and Morgan is in Tampa.

They've expanded to Tampa, but they're from Orlando.


Interesting. I know the Beltz and Ruth now have several locations as well.

CP2323
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:25 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby CP2323 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:55 pm

I believe that Crist is working with the Tampa Office mainly since he is also teaching at Stetson.

TOMaHULK
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:40 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby TOMaHULK » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:58 pm

CP2323 wrote:I believe that Crist is working with the Tampa Office mainly since he is also teaching at Stetson.


Charlie Crist...? :shock: Really? :lol:

drummerboy
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby drummerboy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:26 pm

Hey guys. Ill probably beed attending stetson. I like tampa and the school is beautiful and clearly offers a great education. Is the current ranking enough to warrant me forsaking the acceptance and definitely attending fsu/ uf instead. Im on "HOLD" at both like the other poor souls ive chatted with on TLS. THe Limbo Crowd.LOL

CP2323
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:25 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby CP2323 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:27 pm


User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:28 pm

drummerboy wrote:Hey guys. Ill probably beed attending stetson. I like tampa and the school is beautiful and clearly offers a great education. Is the current ranking enough to warrant me forsaking the acceptance and definitely attending fsu/ uf instead. Im on "HOLD" at both like the other poor souls ive chatted with on TLS. THe Limbo Crowd.LOL


Even with a full ride I would probably take FSU/UF, but an argument can absolutely be made for the other side, and in all likelihood a convincing one at that.

User avatar
RockyIII
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:38 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby RockyIII » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:30 pm

drummerboy wrote:Hey guys. Ill probably beed attending stetson. I like tampa and the school is beautiful and clearly offers a great education. Is the current ranking enough to warrant me forsaking the acceptance and definitely attending fsu/ uf instead. Im on "HOLD" at both like the other poor souls ive chatted with on TLS. THe Limbo Crowd.LOL


Go to UF or FSU. How does it "clearly" offer a great education?

TOMaHULK
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:40 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby TOMaHULK » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:31 pm

RockyIII wrote:
drummerboy wrote:Hey guys. Ill probably beed attending stetson. I like tampa and the school is beautiful and clearly offers a great education. Is the current ranking enough to warrant me forsaking the acceptance and definitely attending fsu/ uf instead. Im on "HOLD" at both like the other poor souls ive chatted with on TLS. THe Limbo Crowd.LOL


Go to UF or FSU. How does it "clearly" offer a great education?


I don't think many people can debate their International Law program is solid. Just saying. BTW-I want to make sure that you're aware that I actually do respect your opinion from above. Just debate for good conversation/interesting debate.
Last edited by TOMaHULK on Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TOMaHULK
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:40 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby TOMaHULK » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:33 pm

CP2323 wrote:http://www.law.stetson.edu/tmpl/news/article.aspx?id=11312


This kindda pisses me off. I'm not a huge fan of this flip flopper. SRS :x

drummerboy
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby drummerboy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:36 pm

number 1 trial advocacy program in the nation number 5 legal writing. whats so good about uf/fsu programs other than cost. ok fsu is connected to tallahasee but who would want to live there and uf in gainsville what connection to the fl legal market will you have in the 3 years you attend. there is little opportunity to network in gainsville. IMO

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:40 pm

drummerboy wrote:number 1 trial advocacy program in the nation number 5 legal writing. whats so good about uf/fsu programs other than cost. ok fsu is connected to tallahasee but who would want to live there and uf in gainsville what connection to the fl legal market will you have in the 3 years you attend. there is little opportunity to network in gainsville. IMO


You've had some good posts, but what in the fuck are you talking about.
Last edited by FeelTheHeat on Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:42 pm

drummerboy wrote:number 1 trial advocacy program in the nation number 5 legal writing. whats so good about uf/fsu programs other than cost. ok fsu is connected to tallahasee but who would want to live there and uf in gainsville what connection to the fl legal market will you have in the 3 years you attend. there is little opportunity to network in gainsville. IMO

Trial advocacy and legal writing should hold absolutely no persuasive weight to anyone who is approaching admissions rationally. FSU isn't just "connected to tallahassee," the law school is about 500 yards away from the state capitol building, what student seeking a government job WOULDN'T want to live there. Also, if Stetson had a legitimate leg up on UF because of it's networking location, then it would be reflected in the hiring statistics (hint: it isn't)

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:48 pm

Never mind, figured it out lol


drummerboy wrote:Hey guys. Ill probably beed attending stetson.

drummerboy
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby drummerboy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:50 pm

For clarification purposes, in reference to stetson, there is no question that there is a unique connection to the tampa bay legal community. im just saying that when considering a regional school like stetson, the strong networking opportunities during the 3 years is very important. fsu also has them but i wouldnt want to put all my eggs in one basket in that city. uf is in gainesville. not as good pregraduation networking opportunities there. IMO please feel free to disagree. the more info i have the better. thanks

2011Law
Posts: 822
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby 2011Law » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:51 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:Schools to go to at sticker if you want to stay in state, with in state tuition, and don't mind the possibility of living poor for a long time, for the love of the law, because it is a serious possibility:

1. Florida
2. Florida State

Schools to go to at near full scholarship if you have very local interests, but if you have local interest then you're probably from that area and have contacts and if you're getting a near full scholarship then you're probably going to have some scholarship money at one of the first two schools in which case it would make more sense to go to one of them instead for the larger geographic draw and cheaper tuition but for some other justifiable reason you decide to stay local:

3. Miami
4. Stetson

Schools to avoid, no matter what, with the one exception that you have a job waiting for you (guaranteed) when you graduate:

5. FIU
6. four-way tie amongst the inseparable garbage-
Florida Coastal
Barry
Nova Southeastern
St.Thomas University

mostly dysfunctional law schools that privately owned by fast food moguls with weird religious convictions that devalue the education and should be avoided no matter what
10. Ave Maria

entirely dysfunctional law schools that should never have even earned provisional accreditation
11. Florida A & M



lol, there was a guy in my building in my time in tallahassee who went to famu undergrad. annoying asshole was excited to go to famu law and figured he'd either do corporate law for large corporations or go into jag.

TOMaHULK
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:40 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby TOMaHULK » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:26 pm

2011Law wrote:
Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:Schools to go to at sticker if you want to stay in state, with in state tuition, and don't mind the possibility of living poor for a long time, for the love of the law, because it is a serious possibility:

1. Florida
2. Florida State

Schools to go to at near full scholarship if you have very local interests, but if you have local interest then you're probably from that area and have contacts and if you're getting a near full scholarship then you're probably going to have some scholarship money at one of the first two schools in which case it would make more sense to go to one of them instead for the larger geographic draw and cheaper tuition but for some other justifiable reason you decide to stay local:

3. Miami
4. Stetson

Schools to avoid, no matter what, with the one exception that you have a job waiting for you (guaranteed) when you graduate:

5. FIU
6. four-way tie amongst the inseparable garbage-
Florida Coastal
Barry
Nova Southeastern
St.Thomas University

mostly dysfunctional law schools that privately owned by fast food moguls with weird religious convictions that devalue the education and should be avoided no matter what
10. Ave Maria

entirely dysfunctional law schools that should never have even earned provisional accreditation
11. Florida A & M



lol, there was a guy in my building in my time in tallahassee who went to famu undergrad. annoying asshole was excited to go to famu law and figured he'd either do corporate law for large corporations or go into jag.


Sounds like he's a URM. If so, then he probably will. SRS

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby Cupidity » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:29 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote: I still stand by my ranking because Miami is the most desirable job market in Florida.



... have you ever been to Miami?

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:33 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:
Sounds like he's a URM. If so, then he probably will. SRS

:|

Cupidity wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote: I still stand by my ranking because Miami is the most desirable job market in Florida.



... have you ever been to Miami?

This. I would take any other city in Florida over Miami.

TOMaHULK
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:40 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby TOMaHULK » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:37 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:
Sounds like he's a URM. If so, then he probably will. SRS

:|



The JAG programs are overstuffed with non URM applicants. A URM probably gets into a JAG program with solid ranking post LS.

CP2323
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:25 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby CP2323 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:06 pm

I could get into JAG as a non URM if the Navy hadn't already broken me. :cry:

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby Sandro » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:08 pm

To the guy trashing living at UF/FSU for 3 years - have you walked around Gulfport lately? Not exactly paradise.....

TOMaHULK
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:40 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby TOMaHULK » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:13 pm

CP2323 wrote:I could get into JAG as a non URM if the Navy hadn't already broken me. :cry:


Did you go to a really good LS? I know 3 people that applied to the JAG programs in various branches post LS and not one got through. One was even a girl. Don't you need really solid numbers?

TOMaHULK
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:40 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby TOMaHULK » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:15 pm

Sandro wrote:To the guy trashing living at UF/FSU for 3 years - have you walked around Gulfport lately? Not exactly paradise.....


Southbeach and Coconut Grove is nice in Miami, but I've heard that the areas where the schools are actually based aren't. I personally love Southbeach, but most of the time would be spent on campus, so that might not be a necessary pro. Thoughts?

CP2323
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:25 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby CP2323 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:24 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:
CP2323 wrote:I could get into JAG as a non URM if the Navy hadn't already broken me. :cry:


Did you go to a really good LS? I know 3 people that applied to the JAG programs in various branches post LS and not one got through. One was even a girl. Don't you need really solid numbers?



Prior service with a really good service record. :mrgreen:

I haven't attended Law School yet. I know that I would have been super competitive for JAG though if I wasn't a 50% disabled veteran and unable to pass the PRT anymore.

TOMaHULK
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:40 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby TOMaHULK » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:33 pm

CP2323 wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:
CP2323 wrote:I could get into JAG as a non URM if the Navy hadn't already broken me. :cry:


Did you go to a really good LS? I know 3 people that applied to the JAG programs in various branches post LS and not one got through. One was even a girl. Don't you need really solid numbers?



Prior service with a really good service record. :mrgreen:

I haven't attended Law School yet. I know that I would have been super competitive for JAG though if I wasn't a 50% disabled veteran and unable to pass the PRT anymore.


Sorry to here about your disability. Thank you for your service to our country.

On a brighter note, however, is there any chance of getting uncle sam to pay for your legal education now?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Christinabruin, kadams, Mr. Bubbles and 8 guests