Please rank Florida Law Schools for me. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TOMaHULK

Silver

Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Post by TOMaHULK » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:59 pm

I live in Florida and would like to learn law here.

I don't want to mention which of these schools I've been accepted or rejected into, because I want the rankings to be as unbiased/honest as possible.

Let me request that this thread not turn into a "bash Florida schools" and "if you cannot go to UF or FSU then don't bother going" thread. It's not really the purpose of this request.

Below is the list of all Florida Law Schools. Please just give me a ranking from top to bottom of the order you'd choose to go to, and rank all the schools listed.

Thank you in advance. SRS :wink:

All Florida schools in no particular order:

Florida State
Florida Coastal
Barry
Ave Maria
Nova Southeastern
University of Florida
Florida A & M
University of Miami
St.Thomas University
Florida International
Stetson

Just asking this question because I want a completely unbiased listing without the knowledge of what my options are. Thank you TLS members.

duckmoney

Silver

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Post by duckmoney » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:03 pm

UF, FSU, Miami, and (to a lesser extent) Stetson are the only schools that place throughout the state. They are justifiably ranked in that order.

All the other schools on your list are regional schools, and really only place in their home market. It would be pretty pointless to rank them. FWIW I don't recommend going to any of these schools, ever, under any circumstances.

Hope that helps!

Lonagan

Bronze

Post by Lonagan » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:04 pm

Go gators.

plug1

New

Post by plug1 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:04 pm

1. UF
2. Miami
3. FSU
4. Stetson

jennamc_85

New

Post by jennamc_85 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:07 pm

1. University of Florida
2. FSU
3. U Miami
4. Stetson
5. St. Thomas/FIU/Florida Coastal
7. Barry/NOVA
8. Ave Maria

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TOMaHULK

Silver

Post by TOMaHULK » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:08 pm

jennamc_85 wrote:1. University of Florida
2. FSU
3. U Miami
4. Stetson
5. St. Thomas/FIU/Florida Coastal
7. Barry/NOVA
8. Ave Maria
Thank you for the full ranking.

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:08 pm

plug1 wrote:1. UF
2. Miami
3. FSU
4. Stetson
Egregious Miami trolling.

RockyIII

Bronze

Post by RockyIII » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:29 pm

OP the fact is that if you are too embarassed to say what schools you are thinking about going to on TLS, you shouldn't go to them. Based on your previous posts, I know you didn't get in to UF or FSU. And those two are the only schools worth going to in Florida. I strongly suggest you retake and reapply early next year before you go to any of the lesser florida schools.

TOMaHULK

Silver

Post by TOMaHULK » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:32 pm

RockyIII wrote:OP the fact is that if you are too embarassed to say what schools you are thinking about going to on TLS, you shouldn't go to them. Based on your previous posts, I know you didn't get in to UF or FSU. And those two are the only schools worth going to in Florida. I strongly suggest you retake and reapply early next year before you go to any of the lesser florida schools.
You can assume what you'd like. You have 9 posts, so I'll assume also that you are trolling with a 2nd account, or that you simply are flaming. Either way you have a good one. :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:33 pm

1. UF
2. FSU
3. Miami
4. Stetson
5. FIU
6. Barry/Nova Southeastern/St. Thomas
9. Florida Coastal
10. Ave Maria/Florida A&M (Is this even currently accredited?)

Do not attend anything below FIU (FIU only because at least it's cheap).
Not even with a scholarship (the Florida schools especially have ways of taking them away)
Last edited by rman1201 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RockyIII

Bronze

Post by RockyIII » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:39 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:
RockyIII wrote:OP the fact is that if you are too embarassed to say what schools you are thinking about going to on TLS, you shouldn't go to them. Based on your previous posts, I know you didn't get in to UF or FSU. And those two are the only schools worth going to in Florida. I strongly suggest you retake and reapply early next year before you go to any of the lesser florida schools.
You can assume what you'd like. You have 9 posts, so I'll assume also that you are trolling with a 2nd account, or that you simply are flaming. Either way you have a good one. :wink:

I'm sorry I didn't realize how many posts you have correlates to how qualified you are to give advice. Fine, waste your money on a Third Tier Toilet, it's your life.

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:53 pm

Heyyy USF (I'm from Tampa). Is the school you're considering Stetson? If so, it's not bad if you intend to stay in Tampa, all the major firms in the area interview there.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:53 pm

duckmoney wrote:
plug1 wrote:1. UF
2. Miami
3. FSU
4. Stetson
Egregious Miami trolling.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TOMaHULK

Silver

Post by TOMaHULK » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:44 am

rman1201 wrote:Heyyy USF (I'm from Tampa). Is the school you're considering Stetson? If so, it's not bad if you intend to stay in Tampa, all the major firms in the area interview there.
Yes, I'm considering Stetson. I'm a Bull. :D

TOMaHULK

Silver

Post by TOMaHULK » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:45 am

rman1201 wrote:1. UF
2. FSU
3. Miami
4. Stetson
5. FIU
6. Barry/Nova Southeastern/St. Thomas
9. Florida Coastal
10. Ave Maria/Florida A&M (Is this even currently accredited?)

Do not attend anything below FIU (FIU only because at least it's cheap).
Not even with a scholarship (the Florida schools especially have ways of taking them away)
Yes Florida A & M is accredited and it's a state (is state tuition) tuition school.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:49 am

UF
FSU
Stetson
Miami
FIU
Barry/Nova
St. THomas
Ave Maria
Florida A&M
Florida Coastal

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:59 am

Schools to go to at sticker if you want to stay in state, with in state tuition, and don't mind the possibility of living poor for a long time, for the love of the law, because it is a serious possibility:

1. Florida
2. Florida State

Schools to go to at near full scholarship if you have very local interests, but if you have local interest then you're probably from that area and have contacts and if you're getting a near full scholarship then you're probably going to have some scholarship money at one of the first two schools in which case it would make more sense to go to one of them instead for the larger geographic draw and cheaper tuition but for some other justifiable reason you decide to stay local:

3. Miami
4. Stetson

Schools to avoid, no matter what, with the one exception that you have a job waiting for you (guaranteed) when you graduate:

5. FIU
6. four-way tie amongst the inseparable garbage-
Florida Coastal
Barry
Nova Southeastern
St.Thomas University

mostly dysfunctional law schools that privately owned by fast food moguls with weird religious convictions that devalue the education and should be avoided no matter what
10. Ave Maria

entirely dysfunctional law schools that should never have even earned provisional accreditation
11. Florida A & M

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:07 am

I'm going to venture as far as to say

3. Stetson
4. Miami

Miami has terrible placement statistics, deffered most of their incoming class just the other year, and is surprisingly TTT for its rank. Stetson, for its non-existent rank, seems to do very well in central florida, especially in the mid-law scene in tampa and orlando. If I had equal money to both, I'd go stetson.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:11 am

Cupidity wrote:I'm going to venture as far as to say

3. Stetson
4. Miami

Miami has terrible placement statistics, deffered most of their incoming class just the other year, and is surprisingly TTT for its rank. Stetson, for its non-existent rank, seems to do very well in central florida, especially in the mid-law scene in tampa and orlando. If I had equal money to both, I'd go stetson.
I feel like, for the total opportunity opened up by each one, Stetson doesn't have much reach in Orlando, and Miami is a much larger market, so if anything I would feel more comfortable at Miami because there's simply more market to spam with your resume and not be going beyond your reach.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:16 am

Mickey-

Is there any semblance of a legal market in Orlando? I'll be heading to FSU this fall and while I love south Florida, I've always enjoyed my time in Otown.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:24 am

Florida/FSU >>>> everywhere else

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TOMaHULK

Silver

Post by TOMaHULK » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:25 am

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:Schools to go to at sticker if you want to stay in state, with in state tuition, and don't mind the possibility of living poor for a long time, for the love of the law, because it is a serious possibility:

1. Florida
2. Florida State

Schools to go to at near full scholarship if you have very local interests, but if you have local interest then you're probably from that area and have contacts and if you're getting a near full scholarship then you're probably going to have some scholarship money at one of the first two schools in which case it would make more sense to go to one of them instead for the larger geographic draw and cheaper tuition but for some other justifiable reason you decide to stay local:

3. Miami
4. Stetson

Schools to avoid, no matter what, with the one exception that you have a job waiting for you (guaranteed) when you graduate:

5. FIU
6. four-way tie amongst the inseparable garbage-
Florida Coastal
Barry
Nova Southeastern
St.Thomas University

mostly dysfunctional law schools that privately owned by fast food moguls with weird religious convictions that devalue the education and should be avoided no matter what
10. Ave Maria

entirely dysfunctional law schools that should never have even earned provisional accreditation
11. Florida A & M
:shock:

LMAO. :lol: Damn, tell us how you really feel. LOL

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:30 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:Mickey-

Is there any semblance of a legal market in Orlando? I'll be heading to FSU this fall and while I love south Florida, I've always enjoyed my time in Otown.
Haha, I'll be able to tell you a lot more clearly in about 5 months after I OCI, because that's the main place i'm trying to hit. But there is definitely a semblance of a legal market. There are about a 10ish "biglaw" offices in Orlando, and after the crash they went from hiring 10-12 SA's a year to 3-4. There are also a good handful of midlaw firms in the area. But it's going to be near impossible without good grades and significant contacts to the area (it's a small enough city that contacts do tend to matter).

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:32 am

TOMaHULK wrote:
Mickey Quicknumbers wrote: mostly dysfunctional law schools that privately owned by fast food moguls with weird religious convictions that devalue the education and should be avoided no matter what
10. Ave Maria

11. Florida A & M
:shock:

LMAO. :lol: Damn, tell us how you really feel. LOL
Unfortunately, that's pretty objective.

<3 Florida

orm518

Bronze

Post by orm518 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:33 am

TOMaHULK wrote:
Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
10. Ave Maria
Damn, tell us how you really feel. LOL
But you would miss out on being taught by this guy:

--ImageRemoved--

Fittingly a professor visiting from Temple Law....he packed his shades for sunny Florida.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”