Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TOMaHULK
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:40 pm

Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby TOMaHULK » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:59 pm

I live in Florida and would like to learn law here.

I don't want to mention which of these schools I've been accepted or rejected into, because I want the rankings to be as unbiased/honest as possible.

Let me request that this thread not turn into a "bash Florida schools" and "if you cannot go to UF or FSU then don't bother going" thread. It's not really the purpose of this request.

Below is the list of all Florida Law Schools. Please just give me a ranking from top to bottom of the order you'd choose to go to, and rank all the schools listed.

Thank you in advance. SRS :wink:

All Florida schools in no particular order:

Florida State
Florida Coastal
Barry
Ave Maria
Nova Southeastern
University of Florida
Florida A & M
University of Miami
St.Thomas University
Florida International
Stetson


Just asking this question because I want a completely unbiased listing without the knowledge of what my options are. Thank you TLS members.

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby duckmoney » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:03 pm

UF, FSU, Miami, and (to a lesser extent) Stetson are the only schools that place throughout the state. They are justifiably ranked in that order.

All the other schools on your list are regional schools, and really only place in their home market. It would be pretty pointless to rank them. FWIW I don't recommend going to any of these schools, ever, under any circumstances.

Hope that helps!

User avatar
Lonagan
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:03 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby Lonagan » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:04 pm

Go gators.

User avatar
plug1
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby plug1 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:04 pm

1. UF
2. Miami
3. FSU
4. Stetson

jennamc_85
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:07 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby jennamc_85 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:07 pm

1. University of Florida
2. FSU
3. U Miami
4. Stetson
5. St. Thomas/FIU/Florida Coastal
7. Barry/NOVA
8. Ave Maria

TOMaHULK
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:40 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby TOMaHULK » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:08 pm

jennamc_85 wrote:1. University of Florida
2. FSU
3. U Miami
4. Stetson
5. St. Thomas/FIU/Florida Coastal
7. Barry/NOVA
8. Ave Maria


Thank you for the full ranking.

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby duckmoney » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:08 pm

plug1 wrote:1. UF
2. Miami
3. FSU
4. Stetson


Egregious Miami trolling.

User avatar
RockyIII
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:38 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby RockyIII » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:29 pm

OP the fact is that if you are too embarassed to say what schools you are thinking about going to on TLS, you shouldn't go to them. Based on your previous posts, I know you didn't get in to UF or FSU. And those two are the only schools worth going to in Florida. I strongly suggest you retake and reapply early next year before you go to any of the lesser florida schools.

TOMaHULK
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:40 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby TOMaHULK » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:32 pm

RockyIII wrote:OP the fact is that if you are too embarassed to say what schools you are thinking about going to on TLS, you shouldn't go to them. Based on your previous posts, I know you didn't get in to UF or FSU. And those two are the only schools worth going to in Florida. I strongly suggest you retake and reapply early next year before you go to any of the lesser florida schools.


You can assume what you'd like. You have 9 posts, so I'll assume also that you are trolling with a 2nd account, or that you simply are flaming. Either way you have a good one. :wink:

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby rman1201 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:33 pm

1. UF
2. FSU
3. Miami
4. Stetson
5. FIU
6. Barry/Nova Southeastern/St. Thomas
9. Florida Coastal
10. Ave Maria/Florida A&M (Is this even currently accredited?)

Do not attend anything below FIU (FIU only because at least it's cheap).
Not even with a scholarship (the Florida schools especially have ways of taking them away)
Last edited by rman1201 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
RockyIII
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:38 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby RockyIII » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:39 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:
RockyIII wrote:OP the fact is that if you are too embarassed to say what schools you are thinking about going to on TLS, you shouldn't go to them. Based on your previous posts, I know you didn't get in to UF or FSU. And those two are the only schools worth going to in Florida. I strongly suggest you retake and reapply early next year before you go to any of the lesser florida schools.


You can assume what you'd like. You have 9 posts, so I'll assume also that you are trolling with a 2nd account, or that you simply are flaming. Either way you have a good one. :wink:



I'm sorry I didn't realize how many posts you have correlates to how qualified you are to give advice. Fine, waste your money on a Third Tier Toilet, it's your life.

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby rman1201 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:53 pm

Heyyy USF (I'm from Tampa). Is the school you're considering Stetson? If so, it's not bad if you intend to stay in Tampa, all the major firms in the area interview there.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:53 pm

duckmoney wrote:
plug1 wrote:1. UF
2. Miami
3. FSU
4. Stetson


Egregious Miami trolling.

TOMaHULK
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:40 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby TOMaHULK » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:44 am

rman1201 wrote:Heyyy USF (I'm from Tampa). Is the school you're considering Stetson? If so, it's not bad if you intend to stay in Tampa, all the major firms in the area interview there.


Yes, I'm considering Stetson. I'm a Bull. :D

TOMaHULK
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:40 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby TOMaHULK » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:45 am

rman1201 wrote:1. UF
2. FSU
3. Miami
4. Stetson
5. FIU
6. Barry/Nova Southeastern/St. Thomas
9. Florida Coastal
10. Ave Maria/Florida A&M (Is this even currently accredited?)

Do not attend anything below FIU (FIU only because at least it's cheap).
Not even with a scholarship (the Florida schools especially have ways of taking them away)


Yes Florida A & M is accredited and it's a state (is state tuition) tuition school.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby northwood » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:49 am

UF
FSU
Stetson
Miami
FIU
Barry/Nova
St. THomas
Ave Maria
Florida A&M
Florida Coastal

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:59 am

Schools to go to at sticker if you want to stay in state, with in state tuition, and don't mind the possibility of living poor for a long time, for the love of the law, because it is a serious possibility:

1. Florida
2. Florida State

Schools to go to at near full scholarship if you have very local interests, but if you have local interest then you're probably from that area and have contacts and if you're getting a near full scholarship then you're probably going to have some scholarship money at one of the first two schools in which case it would make more sense to go to one of them instead for the larger geographic draw and cheaper tuition but for some other justifiable reason you decide to stay local:

3. Miami
4. Stetson

Schools to avoid, no matter what, with the one exception that you have a job waiting for you (guaranteed) when you graduate:

5. FIU
6. four-way tie amongst the inseparable garbage-
Florida Coastal
Barry
Nova Southeastern
St.Thomas University

mostly dysfunctional law schools that privately owned by fast food moguls with weird religious convictions that devalue the education and should be avoided no matter what
10. Ave Maria

entirely dysfunctional law schools that should never have even earned provisional accreditation
11. Florida A & M

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby Cupidity » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:07 am

I'm going to venture as far as to say


3. Stetson
4. Miami

Miami has terrible placement statistics, deffered most of their incoming class just the other year, and is surprisingly TTT for its rank. Stetson, for its non-existent rank, seems to do very well in central florida, especially in the mid-law scene in tampa and orlando. If I had equal money to both, I'd go stetson.

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:11 am

Cupidity wrote:I'm going to venture as far as to say


3. Stetson
4. Miami

Miami has terrible placement statistics, deffered most of their incoming class just the other year, and is surprisingly TTT for its rank. Stetson, for its non-existent rank, seems to do very well in central florida, especially in the mid-law scene in tampa and orlando. If I had equal money to both, I'd go stetson.

I feel like, for the total opportunity opened up by each one, Stetson doesn't have much reach in Orlando, and Miami is a much larger market, so if anything I would feel more comfortable at Miami because there's simply more market to spam with your resume and not be going beyond your reach.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:16 am

Mickey-

Is there any semblance of a legal market in Orlando? I'll be heading to FSU this fall and while I love south Florida, I've always enjoyed my time in Otown.

TheFactor
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby TheFactor » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:24 am

Florida/FSU >>>> everywhere else

TOMaHULK
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:40 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby TOMaHULK » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:25 am

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:Schools to go to at sticker if you want to stay in state, with in state tuition, and don't mind the possibility of living poor for a long time, for the love of the law, because it is a serious possibility:

1. Florida
2. Florida State

Schools to go to at near full scholarship if you have very local interests, but if you have local interest then you're probably from that area and have contacts and if you're getting a near full scholarship then you're probably going to have some scholarship money at one of the first two schools in which case it would make more sense to go to one of them instead for the larger geographic draw and cheaper tuition but for some other justifiable reason you decide to stay local:

3. Miami
4. Stetson

Schools to avoid, no matter what, with the one exception that you have a job waiting for you (guaranteed) when you graduate:

5. FIU
6. four-way tie amongst the inseparable garbage-
Florida Coastal
Barry
Nova Southeastern
St.Thomas University

mostly dysfunctional law schools that privately owned by fast food moguls with weird religious convictions that devalue the education and should be avoided no matter what
10. Ave Maria

entirely dysfunctional law schools that should never have even earned provisional accreditation
11. Florida A & M


:shock:


LMAO. :lol: Damn, tell us how you really feel. LOL

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:30 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:Mickey-

Is there any semblance of a legal market in Orlando? I'll be heading to FSU this fall and while I love south Florida, I've always enjoyed my time in Otown.

Haha, I'll be able to tell you a lot more clearly in about 5 months after I OCI, because that's the main place i'm trying to hit. But there is definitely a semblance of a legal market. There are about a 10ish "biglaw" offices in Orlando, and after the crash they went from hiring 10-12 SA's a year to 3-4. There are also a good handful of midlaw firms in the area. But it's going to be near impossible without good grades and significant contacts to the area (it's a small enough city that contacts do tend to matter).

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:32 am

TOMaHULK wrote:
Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:mostly dysfunctional law schools that privately owned by fast food moguls with weird religious convictions that devalue the education and should be avoided no matter what
10. Ave Maria

entirely dysfunctional law schools that should never have even earned provisional accreditation
11. Florida A & M


:shock:


LMAO. :lol: Damn, tell us how you really feel. LOL

Unfortunately, that's pretty objective.

<3 Florida

User avatar
orm518
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:23 pm

Re: Please rank Florida Law Schools for me.

Postby orm518 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:33 am

TOMaHULK wrote:
Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
mostly dysfunctional law schools that privately owned by fast food moguls with weird religious convictions that devalue the education and should be avoided no matter what
10. Ave Maria


Damn, tell us how you really feel. LOL


But you would miss out on being taught by this guy:

--ImageRemoved--

Fittingly a professor visiting from Temple Law....he packed his shades for sunny Florida.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests