Addendum to Explain Withdrawal on Transcript

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Foseph

New

Addendum to Explain Withdrawal on Transcript

Postby Foseph » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:13 pm

Hello all -

I'm getting ready to have my post-grad transcript sent to LSAC. Basically, a year out of undergrad I took classes in pursuit of getting a teaching certificate. I completed 15 hours just fine, but when I got into classroom experience I realized just how much I would hate teaching as a long-term vocation. To make matters worse, my mother became seriously ill during that time, and so I used that as a valid reason to withdraw. The transcript lists the student teaching (which is a 12-credit hour course) as a "W". This doesn't affect the overall GPA (unlike a "W-F" which counts the same as an F), but I'm afraid that the schools I apply to will view this as a severe negative against me.

Should I submit an addendum to explain my reasons for withdrawing from the program and further explain that I am sure becoming a lawyer is what I want to do? (I've been working for a law firm for the past two years to make sure I don't make the same mistake as I did with teaching).

Sandro

Gold

Re: Addendum to Explain Withdrawal on Transcript

Postby Sandro » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:20 am

No.

We are talking about an admissions process which values a 3.8 at blue mountain technical college more than a 3.5 at a prestigious undergrad. An admissions process where LSAT score is the major determining factor. Where have you read/seen/heard that one W in your post grad work will be a negative factor in the admissions process?

T6Hopeful

Silver

Re: Addendum to Explain Withdrawal on Transcript

Postby T6Hopeful » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:57 am

Sandro: I think the concern isn't so much about it being one W as it is a 12-credit one.

OP: If it was post-graduate, you'll be fine. Unless the school inquires about it, in which case you sound like you have valid reasons for the matter, don't worry about it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�