WL'ed by Virginia/Chicago, should I try to leverage? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gmreplay

Bronze

WL'ed by Virginia/Chicago, should I try to leverage?

Post by gmreplay » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:40 pm

I'm in at Columbia and Michigan, and was waitlisted by Chicago and Virginia. At this point I would only seriously consider attending Columbia and Michigan, but I feel like I'm missing out on potential scholarship offers which I could use as leverage by being waitlisted. Should I try to use my admission to CLS and Umich to get into Virginia/Chicago, and attempt to use any scholarship offers from them as leverage?

jcunni5

Bronze

Re: WL'ed by Virginia/Chicago, should I try to leverage?

Post by jcunni5 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:44 pm

UVA is prolly YPing you if you tell them you're in Columbia you'll just convincing them to keep you WL'ed, but if you express genuine interest in VA maybe they'll reconsider but you're probably stuck to be honest they never let people off the waitlist really

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:39 pm

Michigan and UVA are pretty comparable on scholarship offers I believe, so realistically any money you get offered after being WLed at UVA won't be much different or higher than Michigan, though there is a slim chance that it would be greater and I assume Michigan would be receptive to matching. As the above poster said though, you probably aren't getting off that list.

If you try and leverage a Chicago acceptance or UVA scholly against Columbia they will laugh at you.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:42 pm

No.

bellamy

New

Post by bellamy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:15 pm

2014 wrote:Michigan and UVA are pretty comparable on scholarship offers I believe, so realistically any money you get offered after being WLed at UVA won't be much different or higher than Michigan, though there is a slim chance that it would be greater and I assume Michigan would be receptive to matching. As the above poster said though, you probably aren't getting off that list.

If you try and leverage a Chicago acceptance or UVA scholly against Columbia they will laugh at you.
How about a $75000 scholly from Chicago and UVa. Might that be helpful in negotiations with Columbia?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gmreplay

Bronze

Post by gmreplay » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:18 pm

So am I basically hosed on the financial aid front then? I would really love to get 90k from Michigan (who wouldn't?) just to allay my fears that I'm going to be sitting on a debt bomb upon graduation. I don't suppose Michigan would react well to me waving Columbia in their face, even though they're Michigan's biggest competition.

I don't mean to leverage a Chicago acceptance against Columbia or Michigan, rather I'd hopefully get more money from their financial aid department and then use that as leverage.

Great advice btw, thanks guys.

aspire2more

Bronze

Post by aspire2more » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:03 pm

I wouldn't write a LOCI to a school I wasn't interested in attending in the hopes that they would take me off the waitlist and give me scholarship money so that I could then turn around and try to manipulate the schools I actually want to attend into giving me a scholarship. It seems really convoluted, not to mention a long shot (and a little tacky). I might just contact one or both of the schools you actually want to attend and see if they will help you out so that you can afford to go there as opposed to the other school you're interested in.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:14 pm

bellamy wrote:
2014 wrote:Michigan and UVA are pretty comparable on scholarship offers I believe, so realistically any money you get offered after being WLed at UVA won't be much different or higher than Michigan, though there is a slim chance that it would be greater and I assume Michigan would be receptive to matching. As the above poster said though, you probably aren't getting off that list.

How about a $75000 scholly from Chicago and UVa. Might that be helpful in negotiations with Columbia?
UVA could offer you a full ride, a stipend, and a Bentley and Columbia probably wouldn't care because U.Va. isn't a peer school to Columbia. They might be receptive to matching a 75k from Chicago though, that would be worth investigating. However, I doubt that a student who Chicago feels comfortable offering 25 grand a year to would get blanked by Columbia.

gmreplay

Bronze

Post by gmreplay » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:16 pm

aspire2more wrote:I wouldn't write a LOCI to a school I wasn't interested in attending in the hopes that they would take me off the waitlist and give me scholarship money so that I could then turn around and try to manipulate the schools I actually want to attend into giving me a scholarship. It seems really convoluted, not to mention a long shot (and a little tacky). I might just contact one or both of the schools you actually want to attend and see if they will help you out so that you can afford to go there as opposed to the other school you're interested in.
I'll proudly wear a pin that says "Tacky" for all 3 years of law school if it means I save 45 thousand dollars. I am not a wealthy man.

That said, I was hoping Virginia would offer up a lot of scholarship money, since they seem to be more free with it than most, and I could use that to coax Michigan. Given the WL from Virginia I don't really have a way to get more from Michigan.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

aspire2more

Bronze

Post by aspire2more » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:18 am

gmreplay wrote:
aspire2more wrote:I wouldn't write a LOCI to a school I wasn't interested in attending in the hopes that they would take me off the waitlist and give me scholarship money so that I could then turn around and try to manipulate the schools I actually want to attend into giving me a scholarship. It seems really convoluted, not to mention a long shot (and a little tacky). I might just contact one or both of the schools you actually want to attend and see if they will help you out so that you can afford to go there as opposed to the other school you're interested in.
I'll proudly wear a pin that says "Tacky" for all 3 years of law school if it means I save 45 thousand dollars. I am not a wealthy man.

That said, I was hoping Virginia would offer up a lot of scholarship money, since they seem to be more free with it than most, and I could use that to coax Michigan. Given the WL from Virginia I don't really have a way to get more from Michigan.
Good luck with that.

arthur

New

Post by arthur » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:21 pm

my guess is that you won't get that much money off waitlist. also, don't be a dick and take spots at other schools when you're already in great schools (columbia and michigan) :D

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:47 pm

You're not getting $75,000 from Chicago off the WL...

BeachandRun23

Bronze

Post by BeachandRun23 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:11 pm

Simple solution...

Why not use the columbia acceptance to get money from michigan?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”