certain law schools harder for conservatives?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
vanwinkle

Re: certain law schools harder for conservatives?

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:18 pm

I keep making the same points every time this topic gets raised, and I'll make them again now:

1) Even if a law school's admissions committee has an overall liberal bias, that still doesn't hurt conservatives because one key "liberal" principle is promoting classroom diversity, including diversity of political viewpoints, because doing so encourages discussion and betters the learning process. The typical "liberal academic" is not someone for conservatives to fear, even if they are the ones in charge.

2) This keeps getting posed as a question by 0Ls who either haven't yet applied (and are asking if there's bias in the application process) or haven't attended (and are asking if there's bias in the classroom). There are, at this point, thousands of TLS users who have been through the admissions process, including quite a few whose conservative/libertarian leanings are evident in their beliefs and even on their resume. Yet one thing I have never seen on here is anyone demonstrating (or even alleging) actual bias because of their politics.

3) Most, and I'm pretty sure all, top law schools use blind grading. Even if a professor doesn't like you, he has no way of even knowing who you are when he's grading your exam. You have to learn, know, and apply the same law that everyone else does, and as long as you can do that effectively, you can do well in law school no matter what political leaning you have.

4) If law schools are so biased against conservatives, why do they all have Fed Soc chapters?

This entire topic is just baseless right-wing hysteria worthy of Fox News.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:01 pm

vanwinkle wrote:3) Most, and I'm pretty sure all, top law schools use blind grading.

huh, I didn't know this. Are you assigned a number or something?

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:36 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:3) Most, and I'm pretty sure all, top law schools use blind grading.

huh, I didn't know this. Are you assigned a number or something?

Yes.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”