my "should I go to law school?" thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Re: my "should I go to law school?" thread

Postby FalafelWaffle » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:15 pm

Last edited by FalafelWaffle on Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:15 pm

Looking at the way you've framed your post, it seems like you're desperate for someone to tell you not to go to law school. It's so tailored and biased I don't even really feel comfortable giving advice off of it. So I dunno if you should go to law school, but I do think you don't want to. Also, your icon, ugh. At least Mac.Empress's was pleasant to look at...

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:04 pm

Not every lawyer or potential lawyer is like MTal... I'm just saying. At least I don't think I'm a dick :)

Postby shock259 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:51 pm

Thanks again for all the posts.

rman1201 wrote:Wow. I don't have any substantive advice, but at least I can say you definitely aren't alone.

Glad I'm not alone. ;)

Spookyghost wrote:Keep in mind there are PLENTY of transactional law venues for you to explore. Real estate, wills and estates, the like.

Transactional seems to be the way to go from this and other posts. I'm going to look further into this. Do you think this is a viable career choice in a secondary market? I don't know much about the Denver legal market.

PomasThynchon wrote: I'm in a similar boat and have many thoughts to share,

I look forward to your post! You should post it here so I don't miss it.

PomasThynchon wrote:
Veyron wrote:ITT: I don't like law. Should I become a lawyer because I can do it for free? Huh guys?

Meh, not quite. S/he doesn't like the office environment. My advice would be to find another legal position in another firm/field of law or otherwise and see what happens. If no, then bail.

Definitely agree with the reply. The small amount of legal analysis (or maybe it's just analysis) that I actually get to do is awesome. It's intellectually challenging and very satisfying. I love those days. Unfortunately, as noted, they rare, and almost always interrupted.

ach24 wrote:If you can, I would suggest you talk to some of the attorneys you work with about law school and about their level of job satisfaction. My attorney bosses have been one of my largest assets because they have encouraged me and mentored me throughout this process.

Thank you very much for your post and your experiences. I've spoken with a few of the attorneys, but I can certainly speak to more. Further, I am going to try and find a transactional-type of attorney that I can speak with about the type of work they do.

MTal wrote: Yeah, you're not cut out for law.

I'm fine with probably 95% of calls, but I do have issues when I either have to talk to a complete jerk or when I get stone-walled for information that I know my bosses are going to require. My coworkers say I handle it well, but I loathe it.

BaiAilian2013 wrote:Looking at the way you've framed your post, it seems like you're desperate for someone to tell you not to go to law school.

After re-reading it, I agree. I think that was a particularly rough day.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”