Studying abroad as a soft?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
RaiderInBlue47

Studying abroad as a soft?

Postby RaiderInBlue47 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:38 pm

I'm throwing around the idea of studying abroad at the University of Iceland in Reyjkavik in 2012. I would be going primarily to learn Icelandic and experience Iceland but they have course offerings in Law with some interesting classes (Law of the Sea, EU laws, European Environmental Law, etc.).

I'm still weighing the options on staying vs. going. My first semester (spring) would be basically a crash course in Icelandic with some law classes. It's open-ended to where I can choose to stay a second semester or take my plane ride home after finals My second semester (summer) would primarily be law classes with some follow-up Icelandic and an Icelandic history class...in Icelandic. The upside is getting some more time in Iceland in while getting some different law education in a very foreign country. The downside is that I'd be getting back like 2 weeks before my fall semester and I'd have to do some LSAT studying while abroad, which might prove to be tricky with getting materials and whatnot.

Don't ask why Iceland because I'm not totally sure, but it'd be free and it'd be awesome. My question is how much can studying abroad be a worthwhile soft? If not much, could being proficient (...hopefully) in Icelandic and having classes in Law at an Icelandic university be a standout on an app?

Sorry if this has been asked a million times, I checked the search but I didn't find any specific answers. Feel free to rib me on going to a very quirky country too. :wink:

eaglemuncher

Re: Studying abroad as a soft?

Postby eaglemuncher » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:40 pm

Don't go because it might help you get into law school, go because it seems like it would be an amazing experience and free.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:40 pm

No

RaiderInBlue47

Postby RaiderInBlue47 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:42 pm

eaglemuncher wrote:Don't go because it might help you get into law school, go because it seems like it would be an amazing experience and free.

Well yeah, I just need another pro to convince the fam that moving to a country they've barely heard of for 6 months is a good idea. Don't get me wrong, I'm making my own decision regardless of their's, but I've gotta keep my momma happy. 8)

It currently stands as

Pro
---
+Free
+Coolest experience ever
+Learn Icelandic
+Developing some super-independence from my family
+Broadening my horizons from Tennessee and the US.
+Meeting new people
+Drinking age in Iceland is 20 and I turn 20 in a month.
+Law School Application Juice*

Con
---
-3000 miles away. Can't exactly go home to do some laundry and get a meal.
-Paying for stuff in Iceland wouldn't be free.
-Drinking in Iceland can get pricey.
-LSAT studying would be more difficult.
-Family is skeptical.
-Kinda stuck in Iceland. Not like studying abroad in Germany where you can go visit France in a weekend.

Pros are winning right now, obviously.
Last edited by RaiderInBlue47 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:42 pm

eaglemuncher wrote:Don't go because it might help you get into law school, go because it seems like it would be an amazing experience and free.

TITCR. Go if you want to, but you won't get any benefit in LS admissions.

eaglemuncher

Postby eaglemuncher » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:44 pm

You could use the law school angle as a means of convincing your parents to send you but like fivesermon said its not actually gonna help you get in.

Fred_McGriff

Postby Fred_McGriff » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:32 pm

Reykjavik is one of the best places to be young on the planet. If you're unsure in any way, go and visit for a weekend, Icelandair has dirt cheap flight + hotel packages. Go for it.

jml8756

Postby jml8756 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:41 pm

I believe for Northwestern, international experience is starting to become a very, very strong soft. Probably second only to work experience.

Mind you, that applies to meaningful international experience, not like, going to London to party for a semester. So if you go to Iceland, try to take some serious classes or do something significant so it doesn't look like you just went there because of the drinking age.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”