Possible law school acceptances?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
klf916

Possible law school acceptances?

Postby klf916 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:05 pm

3.6 GPA, 180 LSAT, Chemical Engineering at Penn State, internship as engineer, no legal work. I'd like to get into pharmaceutical or petroleum law, just curious which of the T14 schools I could get into and if I'd get any money seeing as though my GPA is kind of low but my major was extremely intense.

FiveSermon

Re: Possible law school acceptances?

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:06 pm

Apply everywhere in the t14. Probably in everywhere except HYS and possibly CCN.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:09 pm

klf916 wrote:3.6 GPA, 180 LSAT, Chemical Engineering at Penn State, internship as engineer, no legal work. I'd like to get into pharmaceutical or petroleum law, just curious which of the T14 schools I could get into and if I'd get any money seeing as though my GPA is kind of low but my major was extremely intense.

chicago, columbia, nyu, with money at at least 2 of 3 i'd think, and you have a shot at harvard/yale/stanford.

edit: but yes as the previous poster said do apply to every T14 school

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:13 pm

Petroleum law. Consider the Univ. of Texas & Univ. of Houston in addition to the Top 14 law schools.

amorfati

Postby amorfati » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:19 pm

FiveSermon wrote:Apply everywhere in the t14. Probably in everywhere except HYS and possibly CCN.

I think this is a bit pessimistic. I have roughly the same GPA and only a 176 LSAT, but I'm already in at NYU and am on hold at Columbia (though I've been told my numbers should get me in there - crossing my fingers that that's true).

I think you're in at CCN, probably in at H, and have a reasonable shot at Y/S.

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:21 pm

In the last two LSN cycles, it doesn't look too good for GPAs under 3.7, although there aren't many samples with <3.7 with 180 LSAT.

I think in everywhere else besides Yale, Stanford, Harvard. Maybe a great personal statement could get you in at Harvard.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:21 pm

amorfati wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:Apply everywhere in the t14. Probably in everywhere except HYS and possibly CCN.

I think this is a bit pessimistic. I have roughly the same GPA and only a 176 LSAT, but I'm already in at NYU and am on hold at Columbia (though I've been told my numbers should get me in there - crossing my fingers that that's true).

You're going to call an in at Harvard with a 3.65? Well he has a shot it's definitely not an "in" scenario at all.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:22 pm

amorfati wrote:

You may be right about CCN but H with a GPA with 3.6 is shoddy. Y is a crapshoot with almost everyone. S may work out better because of his science major which S seems to like.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:25 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
amorfati wrote:

You may be right about CCN but H with a GPA with 3.6 is shoddy. Y is a crapshoot with almost everyone. S may work out better because of his science major which S seems to like.

S doesn't seem to accept any <3.9 unless they are urms.

klf916

Postby klf916 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:33 pm

Also I'm a female not male, just stating that because everyone seems to be content with saying him (maybe that would help too with the undergrad engineering degree as well.) I'm more curious about the financial aid which I am doubtful for HYS if I could get in and most likely not for CCN but as far as the others in the t14 do you think I could get any significant scholarships?

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:37 pm

klf916 wrote:Also I'm a female not male, just stating that because everyone seems to be content with saying him (maybe that would help too with the undergrad engineering degree as well.) I'm more curious about the financial aid which I am doubtful for HYS if I could get in and most likely not for CCN but as far as the others in the t14 do you think I could get any significant scholarships?

Well are you asking about financial aid or merit scholarships? You're confusing the two. If you have financial need you'll get money everywhere, if you're talking about merit scholarships you are looking at the mid t14.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”