Getting Your Spouse into Med School?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ScarryBakhtin

Getting Your Spouse into Med School?

Postby ScarryBakhtin » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:43 am

A friend of mine, who went to HLS, told me that Michigan made him an offer to accept his spouse to their med school if he would go to their law school. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

fatduck

Re: Getting Your Spouse into Med School?

Postby fatduck » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:45 am

Note to self: make sure doctor didn't go to Michigan.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:45 am

ScarryBakhtin wrote:A friend of mine, who went to HLS, told me that Michigan made him an offer to accept his spouse to their med school if he would go to their law school. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

Your friend is full of it. This is too stupid to even consider it as true for even a second. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure the adcomms for the med school and law school are entirely different. And I doubt they communicate enough to make such an offer. If they were dumb enough to even come up with something like that in the first place.

EDIT: I am hoping this thread will die quickly.

ScarryBakhtin

Postby ScarryBakhtin » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:48 am

FWIW, his wife is in a top 40 med school, not one as good as Michigan, though (maybe that helped?)

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:20 am

ScarryBakhtin wrote:FWIW, his wife is in a top 40 med school, not one as good as Michigan, though (maybe that helped?)

If she was a borderline case, and it sounds like she was, this isn't crazy. I've heard rumors of LS transfers being given extra consideration because a spouse was in another program at the school; so I don't know why it wouldn't work the other way as well. Besides, Med school is not as strictly prestige and numbers-driven as law school; much more gets based on "soft" factors among people who had the numbers to get in.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:28 am

Your friend is full of it. This is too stupid to even consider it as true for even a second.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:29 am

nygrrrl wrote:
Your friend is full of it. This is too stupid to even consider it as true for even a second.

I still disagree. It might be stupid, but not so stupid as not to consider for a second. Med school admissions are nothing like lawl school.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:33 am

Renzo wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:

I still disagree. It might be stupid, but not so stupid as not to consider for a second. Med school admissions are nothing like lawl school.

You maybe right because everyone can get in to Harvard Medical School and Stanford Med School with a 30 MCAT and a 3.5 GPA.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:38 am

tea_drinker wrote:
Renzo wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:

You maybe right because everyone can get in to Harvard Medical School and Stanford Med School with a 30 MCAT and a 3.5 GPA.

Ah, you got me there. Thanks for completely mischaracterizing my argument, then refuting that argument I didn't make.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:39 am

Renzo wrote:Ah, you got me there. Thanks for completely mischaracterizing my argument, then refuting that argument I didn't make.

Sure, you're welcome.

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:51 am

tea_drinker wrote:
Renzo wrote:Ah, you got me there. Thanks for completely mischaracterizing my argument, then refuting that argument I didn't make.

Sure, you're welcome.

This is what I love about being on a law school forum. The level of argumentation is so high.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:55 am

Hey-O wrote:
tea_drinker wrote:

Sure, you're welcome.

This is what I love about being on a law school forum. The level of argumentation is so high.

Usually I get all kinds of pissed when people start arguing about arguing.

schrizto

Postby schrizto » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:13 am

Your friend's either making shit up or misinterpreted the situation. Medical school admissions is ridiculously competitive and the top med schools have so many qualified applicants they don't need to try and bargain their way to get people to matriculate.

Michigan med is way harder to get into than Michigan law. To get into a top med school like Mich's you need the whole package: high MCAT and gpa (think maybe 33+ MCAT and 3.7+ gpa), ECs, research, good recs, interview well. As for their law school, you'd only need to get your LSAT and gpa over their medians to get in. If anything, it's more likely that they'd offer the spot in law school based on the medical school acceptance rather than the other way around.

ScarryBakhtin wrote:FWIW, his wife is in a top 40 med school, not one as good as Michigan, though (maybe that helped?)

Med schools aren't as rankings-driven as law schools. If you're pre-med, it's about getting into _a_ med school not necessarily the very top ones.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:02 am

My pre-law adviser has mentioned this to me on multiple occasions (specifically the story she tells is about Michigan as well). So it's possible.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:02 am

schrizto wrote:

Med schools aren't as rankings-driven as law schools. If you're pre-med, it's about getting into _a_ med school not necessarily the very top ones.

This is what I was trying to say. If she got in to other good programs, it's plausible that she had the numbers to get in to UMich, and it was only because some near-identical candidate had something in common with an interviewer that she got passed over. It's not like law school. So if that was the case, I could see the schools admitting them both so they would both enroll. I can't say it did happen, or even that it's likely, just that it's not crazy.

Gatorbull84

Postby Gatorbull84 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:36 am

Your friend lied. For starters med school admissions are way more selective than law school admissions and the med schools do not share info about their applicants with other schools within the university.

Also, med school are not ranked driven like law schools. The rule with med school is if you get into a US MD you go. Ranking does not matter

ItsMyTimeBoston

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:55 am

If anything, it would be the other way around, the med school student getting their spouse into the law school. And that would be unlikely.

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:37 pm

tea_drinker wrote:
Renzo wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:

Reading comp, bro.

edgarfigaro

Postby edgarfigaro » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:39 pm

Gatorbull84 wrote:The rule with med school is if you get into a US MD you go. Ranking does not matter

Incorrect, unless your only ambition is peds or family practice. Rankings matter a lot for the sought after residencies.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:28 am

Don't know about the whole med/law school thing but I know a married couple who both got into a good law school (she had the numbers, he was a marginal candidate at best) he was wait listed and didn't get off the wl till he pulled the wife card.

PhilEconCS

Postby PhilEconCS » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:36 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:My pre-law adviser has mentioned this to me on multiple occasions (specifically the story she tells is about Michigan as well). So it's possible.

So just because your pre-law advisor said it, it definitely happened that way? It's still a second or third hand account at best.

flcath

Postby flcath » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:32 am

nygrrrl wrote:

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:01 am

edgarfigaro wrote:
Gatorbull84 wrote:The rule with med school is if you get into a US MD you go. Ranking does not matter

Incorrect, unless your only ambition is peds or family practice. Rankings matter a lot for the sought after residencies.

Also, incorrect. While your med school matters quite a bit, your board scores allow you to have the "pick of the litter" when it comes to most residencies.

Anecdotal evidence: Bro-in-law goes to a DO school not in top 100 med schools. Killed his boards, could choose practically any residency he wanted.

Also, I don't think the OP is as far-fetched as some claim. He may well have mentioned his motivation for wanting to attend Mich in his PS...something having to do with wanting to go because his wife also wants to, etc. They may have considered that. If he goes to HLS he was obviously an attractive candidate and I can see an admissions director making a call.

Edit: Off-topic, but I find it funny that while he will be graduating from Harvard Law his wife will still most likely end up making more than him (at least at first) going to whatever med school (fml wish I was sciencey and could go to med school).

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:54 am

Unless his wife wants to be a medical researcher, and not a clinical physician, which medical school she goes to is basically irrelevant.

The man should stay at HLS and the wife should stick to the top 40 med school.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”