Staying in undergrad longer to increase gpa?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
WestOfTheRest

Re: Staying in undergrad longer to increase gpa?

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:18 pm

PomasThynchon wrote:
Yeah, but I wouldn't pay an extra five-figures on the off chance that I got A+'s

Being generous, let's say the guy is instate somewhere and tuition is 8,000 a semester. A very conservative estimate, but let's just say. That's 16,000 for another year, excluding living expenses. You can take that money and pay for the best prep class and buy every LSAT book on the market and still come out ahead. At this stage, LSAT LSAT LSAT. You're wasting your time.

By the way, on the community college thing--I have two friends from cc here, and both of them are graduating in 4 years (i.e. 4 years including their 2 cc years). Neither of them have double majors though. I say again, if 2/12 semesters would really put you over the edge, then you were already so close to that edge that a couple of LSAT points would do the same thing for you. If your GPA is inexcusable (i.e. sub-3.0) I might do an extra year, but it's time to press on at this stage.

This guy wants harvard specifically. Sub 3.8 doesn't do it at hls. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it diminishes your odds substantially. The cost of going through with this is a personal decision. I personally chose to stay an extra year. But tuition at my school is only 5k for a full year and I ended up with $7500 in scholarships. I am happy with my decision, but that's not to say it is the right choice for everyone. Likewise, to say it is the wrong choice can be equally correct or incorrect depending on circumstances.

PomasThynchon

Postby PomasThynchon » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:16 pm

CastleRock wrote:
PomasThynchon wrote:
Yeah, but I wouldn't pay an extra five-figures on the off chance that I got A+'s

Being generous, let's say the guy is instate somewhere and tuition is 8,000 a semester. A very conservative estimate, but let's just say. That's 16,000 for another year, excluding living expenses. You can take that money and pay for the best prep class and buy every LSAT book on the market and still come out ahead. At this stage, LSAT LSAT LSAT. You're wasting your time.

By the way, on the community college thing--I have two friends from cc here, and both of them are graduating in 4 years (i.e. 4 years including their 2 cc years). Neither of them have double majors though. I say again, if 2/12 semesters would really put you over the edge, then you were already so close to that edge that a couple of LSAT points would do the same thing for you. If your GPA is inexcusable (i.e. sub-3.0) I might do an extra year, but it's time to press on at this stage.

This guy wants harvard specifically. Sub 3.8 doesn't do it at hls. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it diminishes your odds substantially. The cost of going through with this is a personal decision. I personally chose to stay an extra year. But tuition at my school is only 5k for a full year and I ended up with $7500 in scholarships. I am happy with my decision, but that's not to say it is the right choice for everyone. Likewise, to say it is the wrong choice can be equally correct or incorrect depending on circumstances.

Meh fair enough. Harvard Law is an admirable goal, but after 5 years I say cut your losses already. 6 years in undergrad really borders on the absurd, and to be honest, you're going to need a better reason than just finishing another degree. An extra year for an extra degree is not impressive at all. Do a thesis/independent study/research for your professor to justify your staying in school the extra year, otherwise your strategy is going to way transparent.

Again, HLS is admirable, but after 5 years of college? Grades are important, but why not go out there and do something with your life, and make something of yourself.

I reiterate, and defy anyone to correct me, if you're that close to a 3.8, and can get it in your last 2 out of 12 semesters, you were already close enough for it not to be worth it. And there's no guarantee of straight A's.

Wanting ONLY HLS and spending 6 years in college to bring your GPA up is the worst kind of type A and compulsive. If you knock your LSAT out of the park you can get into a T6. If you don't nail the LSAT ANYWAY, you won't get into HLS. The same LSAT you'd need for HLS will get you into a T6. Again, admirable but shortsighted goal when there are other T6's and T10's. There is a ridiculous amount of groupthink here.

If you want a top law school, you can get it with a top LSAT score. If you want HLS, DO SOMETHING WITH YOUR LIFE and apply in a few years. 6 years of undergrad is absurd and shortsighted. And if you don't get into HLS after the extra year? You've wasted your time and money. I've never met an employer who was blown away by a double major.

Also, he has a 3.6. I don't see 10 semester's worth of a 3.6 coming up to a 3.8 in 2 semesters, even with straight A's. The higher your GPA, the harder it's going to be to bring it up. If he had a 2.9 I'd say with straight A's and maybe an A+ or two and some heavily packed semesters he can get up to 3.3-3.4. If he wants to come up to a 2.0 he's going to need 18 credit hours a semester, and that's a conservative estimate.

My advice is bordering on value judgment territory, and I make no apologies for that. It's really, really, absurd. Harvard is never a sure bet, and never worth wasting an extra year in college that won't do anything for you. You score at the Harvard 75% percentile and I would be astounded if you didn't get into a T10. Go out and do something with your life. Aiming for Harvard is admirable, but a Harvard or bust mentality is kind of sick.

rotar

Postby rotar » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:24 pm

Well tanks you all for the opinions.

I am not 100% set on Harvard. I am not thinking Harvard or nothing. It was more about just the general idea of it. I doubt if I had to actually make the decision I would go the 6th year. It would come to how much it is going to help as has been mentioned. If It was staying just for Harvard probably not. If it was for a t14 in general, much more likely. My best bet is just not to get into the situation at all and make sure I have a 3.8+ after 5 years.

After a few months of studying for the LSAT I think I will have a good idea of how I am going to do. If I see I still can improve I can still put the test off for months and continue practicing before I need to make the decision about staying in undergrad. I will just make the decision easy by getting a 180 lol.

As far as wasting time I understand it would be a waste of time for most people but as I said while most people are worrying about school from 18-20 I was focused on something else. It did not advance my career at all but not a waste of time. I would look at 6 years as on time and 5 years as a year ahead. At CC I never really did much work, it was so easy there was no need. If I had just put a little more work in I would have a better GPA but I did not know what I do now. I was able to work 2 jobs and pursue my interests which most people put off till after school however in my case that is too late.

aspire2more

Postby aspire2more » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:57 pm

I think you said your GPA was around a 3.6. Staying on another 2 years in the hopes that it will move up significantly seems like a waste of time to me. Five wouldn't be so bad, so you could do that. Personally I'd do something better (meaning more interesting) with those two years like Teach for America or some type of research abroad.

slacker

Postby slacker » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:03 am

You are taking into account that the last one or two semesters wouldn't even be included in your lsdas gpa if you're going straight through, right?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”