A new predicament involving law school, a job, and a dog

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Polls are fun.

Be a part of Class of 2014
24%
Defer for a year at accepted school
48%
Reapply next year for a chance at a reach
29%

Total votes: 21

glitched

A new predicament involving law school, a job, and a dog

Postby glitched » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:13 pm

There actually isn't a dog involved. I just wanted to pretend like there was for some reason. I don't know the reason.

But here is the predicament: I have a job that I love and have recently been promoted. It is in my field of study and will offer me a chance to learn a lot and interact with many great and talented people. I've already been admitted into a few schools that I would love to attend. BUT I have also been rejected from a few of my reach schools. I am one year out of undergrad, have been working here since november, and need some advice. My choices are to just go to law school in Fall, try to DEFER at the law school that I was accepted into and will most likely attend, or reapply the next cycle for another chance at my reach schools (I will not retake the LSAT).

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

fatduck

Re: A new predicament involving law school, a job, and a dog

Postby fatduck » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:31 pm

There's nothing wrong with working for a few years before law school, in fact it's probably almost always the correct thing to do, but I really don't think you're getting HYS without retaking the LSAT. I'm assuming Harvard is your dream school since you're in at two of CCN and will probably make it into the third.

If you just want to work for another year, I'd defer. If you want to work for a little longer, I think you can re-apply in a future cycle and you won't do worse.
Last edited by fatduck on Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:34 pm

fatduck wrote:There's nothing wrong with working for a few years before law school, in fact it's probably almost always the correct thing to do, but I really don't think you're getting HYS without retaking the LSAT. I'm assuming Harvard is your dream school since you're in at two of CCN and will probably make it into the third.

This.

Ask for a deferral, if you get it then fine, if not reapply. Heck if you really like your job you may want to put off law school for more than a year.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:38 pm

I guess I'm dissenting, but you are already in at some really good schools. To get any higher than you are right now, you would need to retake the LSAT.

Unless your current job is going to give you a huge leg up in getting a legal job after law school, I would probably enroll c/o 2014.

src42

Postby src42 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:55 pm

I'm in a (somewhat) similar situation. I have an awesome job that I totally love, but I know I definitely want to be a lawyer. I've also been accepted to some great schools, but waitlisted or held at my dream schools. I'm going to attend in the fall no matter what, but I'm a bit older than you and I'm ready to get this show on the road. I think for you, working for another year is the right thing to do, especially since you like your job. So I'd say try to defer, and if you can't get a deferral, just reapply. You had a strong application this year and you'll have an even stronger application next year. Just curious: why aren't you open to retaking?

zonto

Postby zonto » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:57 pm

Work your job for a while. Gain experience and ground yourself. Save a bunch of money. Then if you still want law in a few years apply again with the new resume and you'll be able to minimize your debt load.

I guess it boils down to what will make you truly happy: your current job or being a lawyer?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:05 pm

Tough to turn down $150,000 at UCLA .

cmob

Postby cmob » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:15 pm

Become a law student in the fall. It's best for the dog.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:04 pm

ask if deferral will cause you to lose any scholarships that you may have been awarded.

I feel like you've had a great cycle with your numbers (which will obviously be the same when you apply next year)...so, honestly, I would just come to Chicago with the rest of us cool kids ;)

BeachandRun23

Postby BeachandRun23 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:33 am

fatduck wrote:There's nothing wrong with working for a few years before law school, in fact it's probably almost always the correct thing to do, but I really don't think you're getting HYS without retaking the LSAT. I'm assuming Harvard is your dream school since you're in at two of CCN and will probably make it into the third.

If you just want to work for another year, I'd defer. If you want to work for a little longer, I think you can re-apply in a future cycle and you won't do worse.

If you read his LSN comments, I think he was aiming more for berkeley, but I could just be speculating. Either way, I would either go to school in 2014, or ask for a deferral if you want to wait a year. I would NOT re-apply. If you are trying to go to chicago or NYU or columbia, you are not a shoe-in at those schools. You could get waitlisted. I would take the acceptance while you have it.

Just my 2 cents.

Postby 2014 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:46 am

You have a job that you enjoy, why would you give that up right now? Many people, including those at the schools you are accepted at, would love to have any sort of employment right now and even more one they love. Don't take that for granted.

glitched

Postby glitched » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:04 pm

lol geeze this got lost in my "View your posts" and i forgot about it.

BUT THANK you for the insight guys. For the questions that some of you posed:

Why not retake?
Meh. I consider the range of schools I got into good enough for me and my future aspirations. I don't care to become president or anything. The only schools I really wish I got into were Stanford or Berkeley anyway bc of the whole California thing (I know the cycle is not over but I don't see why Stanford would accept me if they didn't accept me already). At the end, I just want to have a job that supports my wife (in the chance she wants to stay at home and not work) and the kids. The only time I consider retake is when thinking about debt... but meh it just means i need. more. rigor. (that's what she said).

Thanks for all the replies. I still haven't decided what I would like to do. Both options are really kind of awesome and I feel blessed to be in this position. I think a bit more time on the job and I can make a good decision.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”