Huge Disparity Between LSDAS GPA vs. UGPA URM Addendum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JohnMKeynes

Huge Disparity Between LSDAS GPA vs. UGPA URM Addendum

Postby JohnMKeynes » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:29 pm

I ended up finishing my undergraduate degree with a GPA of 3.24. However my current LSDAS GPA worst case scenario is 2.85. I am in the process of getting a retroactive withdrawal for consecutive semesters that destroyed my GPA due to complication with an illness that can be documented.

My first two years of undergraduate I had a cumulative GPA of 3.75. After my illness I had a four year break in my study. When I returned, my final two years cumulative GPA was 3.24. So there is a clear time period where my illness is directly associated with my academic records. All the grades during this time period are WF.

The best case scenario is that Dean of College accepts my retroactive withdrawal for both semesters and either gives me W instead of WF on my records. Which would leave my LSDAS GPA 3.51. If Dean of College grants only one semester my cumulative LSDAS GPA 3.26.

I am currently studying for the LSAT in June. What are my chances given three scenarios of GPA? What type of schools do I have realistic chance in being admitting given a LSAT score in the range of 160-170. I know these are a lot of unknown variables to take into account but I just really want to have an idea what I am facing in the admission process. I am first-generation Mexican-American male. I am first of my family to graduate from college. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I reside in Los Angeles and hopeful after law school finding employment in the area.

gdane

Re: Huge Disparity Between LSDAS GPA vs. UGPA URM Addendum

Postby gdane » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:56 am

Ask this when you have an LSAT score. Its too complicated to simply say "X school might accept you if you get X score".

When youre ready to apply, write an addendum. Explain your situation, but dont use them as excuses. The best thing you can do right now is do well on the LSAT. Study hard for it.

Good luck.

DreamsInDigital

Postby DreamsInDigital » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:58 am

I think a lot depends on what your score ends up being.

With a 170, you have a shot at a few of the t14 and could probably get some nice money from USC.

With a 160 I would think you still have some good options (maybe hastings if you want to stay in Cali).

I am not going to say that your GPA won't be an issue at all, but I think with an addendum that explains the circumstances, it won't be a deal breaker.

What caliber undergrad did you go to? Are you applying straight out of undergrad or have you been working?

Take a look at my profile (same name on lsn). I have a gpa around your worst case scenario (without a compelling reason, I just screwed up during undergrad), and am going to have some pretty good options. I have been working for almost five years now though. Drop me a PM if you ever need guidance on the process.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:57 am

Even in the worst case (2.8x), as a URM you have a good shot at the 20s-30s, perhaps with $ at some, if you do well on the LSAT. If you can get one or both semesters dropped, you should be just fine.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:09 am

Make sure that your letters of recommendation are strong & supportive as they are likely to come into play with respect to your admissions' decisions since your GPA may raise questions.

JohnMKeynes

Postby JohnMKeynes » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:24 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. I was beginning to feel a little discouraged. You're responses give me reassurance as long as I do well on my LSAT I should be able to get into a T1 school.

pixytree

Postby pixytree » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:20 am

A clearly written gpa addendum can help as well. You obviously have a good reason for the disparity.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:23 am

JohnMKeynes wrote:Thanks for all the feedback. I was beginning to feel a little discouraged. You're responses give me reassurance as long as I do well on my LSAT I should be able to get into a T1 school.

Yeah, T1 school is assured with a good LSAT regardless of how your GPA turns out. Fight hard to get those semester dropped though. The higher your GPA, the higher the school and the more money.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”