Need advice

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

What should I do?

Drop the shit
14
78%
Wait for the grade and withdraw only if you have to
1
6%
No one cares
3
17%
 
Total votes: 18

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Need advice

Postby yngblkgifted » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:20 pm

I have finished all of my major course work except my thesis which will be done by May. I picked up a business minor just for the hell of it last semester. Since then I have gotten into a number of law schools and stopped giving a shit about my school work. Well, it recently bit me in the ass, and I may have messed up pretty badly on an accounting exam worth 25 percent of my grade.

I have a scholarship to a T14 school and can't let my gpa fall more than .13 in order to keep it. I doubt that it will fall that much, but is it even worth it to risk it? I have until the end of tomorrow to drop the course without having a big "W" on my transcript. Should I drop the course and consequently drop the minor? I personally feel like an underacheiver with just one major and no minors to speak of. If I wait until I get my grade, I can decide then but I also run the risk of having to selective withdraw. The W is non-punitive, but it still looks kind of bad. I have enough credits to still graduate without the class otherwise.

What do you all think?

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Need advice

Postby fatduck » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:22 pm

two things:

a.) no one gives a shit about minors

b.) no one gives a shit about a 'W'

you really can't lose here

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Need advice

Postby Knock » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:25 pm

I'd just take the W. Better to play it safe with the scholarship. Plus then you would be able to relax a lot more.

User avatar
gothamm
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Re: Need advice

Postby gothamm » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:26 pm

Weird thread topics these days.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Need advice

Postby bk1 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:27 pm

Knock wrote:Better to play it safe with the scholarship.


This.

User avatar
cmob
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:08 am

Re: Need advice

Postby cmob » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:28 pm

Drop that shit. Yes you won't have a minor, but you're going to law school... Your JD and LS grades are what will be propelling your career now. I wouldn't hold onto a minor at the expense of thousands of dollars in loans that will exponentially increase the longer it takes to pay them off. Who cares about a W if you still have a scholarship to a great school.

Use the extra time from not stressing out about accounting to focus on your other classes, so you don't run into another GPA problem in the future.

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: Need advice

Postby yngblkgifted » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:36 pm

Knock wrote:I'd just take the W. Better to play it safe with the scholarship. Plus then you would be able to relax a lot more.


Judging from the responses, I may have not been clear. I can either....

A. drop it now and get no major

b. wait for my grade and possibly still complete the class, and get the major OR withdraw, take the W, and get no major

I have been stressing about this alot and therefore I don't even know If I am making sense anymore. lol. senioritis is a bitch.

I guess the general consensus is drop the shit because

a.no one will care about the minor (exept maybe me)/ has no bearing on my future success as a lawyer.
b. it will help me not worry about maintaing my scholarship.
Last edited by yngblkgifted on Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Need advice

Postby Knock » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:37 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
Knock wrote:I'd just take the W. Better to play it safe with the scholarship. Plus then you would be able to relax a lot more.


Judging from the responses, I may have not been clear. I can either....

A. drop it now and get no major

b. wait for my grade and possibly still complete the class, and get the major OR withdraw, take the W, and get no major

I have been stressing about this alot and therefore I don't even know If I am making sense anymore. lol. senioritis is a bitch.

I guess the general consensus is drop the shit because

a.no one will care about the major (exept maybe me)/ has no bearing on my future success as a lawyer.
b. it will help me not worry about maintaing my scholarship.


Do you mean, drop it now and get no minor and no W? if so, that's definitely what i'd do. A minor won't matter at all, and without even having to get a W i think this is a pretty easy decision.

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: Need advice

Postby yngblkgifted » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:44 pm

Knock wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
Knock wrote:I'd just take the W. Better to play it safe with the scholarship. Plus then you would be able to relax a lot more.


Judging from the responses, I may have not been clear. I can either....

A. drop it now and get no major

b. wait for my grade and possibly still complete the class, and get the major OR withdraw, take the W, and get no major

I have been stressing about this alot and therefore I don't even know If I am making sense anymore. lol. senioritis is a bitch.

I guess the general consensus is drop the shit because

a.no one will care about the major (exept maybe me)/ has no bearing on my future success as a lawyer.
b. it will help me not worry about maintaing my scholarship.


Do you mean, drop it now and get no minor and no W? if so, that's definitely what i'd do. A minor won't matter at all, and without even having to get a W i think this is a pretty easy decision.


Yeah that's what I meant. I have thought this in my head but it feels much more reassuring coming from other people. Come to think of it, I don't even think law schools knew I was pursuing a business minor when they accepted me. I hadn't started to take classes yet and it wasn't on my resume...

User avatar
YankeesFan
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: Need advice

Postby YankeesFan » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:45 pm

You sure this isnt one of your friends fucking with you? (sending you a bs letter)

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: Need advice

Postby yngblkgifted » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:46 pm

YankeesFan wrote:You sure this isnt one of your friends fucking with you? (sending you a bs letter)



?

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Need advice

Postby Knock » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:48 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
Knock wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
Knock wrote:I'd just take the W. Better to play it safe with the scholarship. Plus then you would be able to relax a lot more.


Judging from the responses, I may have not been clear. I can either....

A. drop it now and get no major

b. wait for my grade and possibly still complete the class, and get the major OR withdraw, take the W, and get no major

I have been stressing about this alot and therefore I don't even know If I am making sense anymore. lol. senioritis is a bitch.

I guess the general consensus is drop the shit because

a.no one will care about the major (exept maybe me)/ has no bearing on my future success as a lawyer.
b. it will help me not worry about maintaing my scholarship.


Do you mean, drop it now and get no minor and no W? if so, that's definitely what i'd do. A minor won't matter at all, and without even having to get a W i think this is a pretty easy decision.


Yeah that's what I meant. I have thought this in my head but it feels much more reassuring coming from other people. Come to think of it, I don't even think law schools knew I was pursuing a business minor when they accepted me. I hadn't started to take classes yet and it wasn't on my resume...


Yeah man, don't even worry. Congrats on the scholarship, and enjoy the rest of your year :).




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BNA, Downstairs_Mixup, lula43, rk42, SuperAverageJoe and 8 guests