Jersey w/ money or Retake?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LocalNative

Jersey w/ money or Retake?

Postby LocalNative » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:17 pm

So my cycle has resulted in a crushing amount of waitlists (5 and counting).

I did however receive hefty scholarship offers from Seton Hall and Rutgers in what would amount to me paying $9k/year at Seton Hall or $13k/year at Rutgers-Newark. I'm originally from NJ so COA would be a nonfactor as I'd move back home.

My other options are Maryland and Pepperdine at sticker or St. John's at $17k/year. Those three I've pretty much ruled out.

Right now, I'm thinking retake all the way and have signed up for the June LSAT. I'm a little worried though that A) I'll score lower on the test and/or B) I won't receive these scholarship offers again.

LSAT: 161
GPA: 3.96

This seems like a retake no-brainer, but I'm curious to see if there are any dissenting opinions.

(Note - I've also been accepted to the MPP portion of the JD/MPP at American - still waiting to hear back on the JD part. Also on the fast track to get rejected from Berkeley tomorrow).

Thanks!

OGR3

Re: Jersey w/ money or Retake?

Postby OGR3 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:19 pm

LocalNative wrote:So my cycle has resulted in a crushing amount of waitlists (5 and counting).

I did however receive hefty scholarship offers from Seton Hall and Rutgers in what would amount to me paying $9k/year at Seton Hall or $13k/year at Rutgers-Newark. I'm originally from NJ so COA would be a nonfactor as I'd move back home.

My other options are Maryland and Pepperdine at sticker or St. John's at $17k/year. Those three I've pretty much ruled out.

Right now, I'm thinking retake all the way and have signed up for the June LSAT. I'm a little worried though that A) I'll score lower on the test and/or B) I won't receive these scholarship offers again.

LSAT: 161
GPA: 3.96

This seems like a retake no-brainer, but I'm curious to see if there are any dissenting opinions.

(Note - I've also been accepted to the MPP portion of the JD/MPP at American - still waiting to hear back on the JD part. Also on the fast track to get rejected from Berkeley tomorrow).

Thanks!

Retake is most definitely the right answer. There is no reason your beautiful GPA should ever be subjected to a T2.

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:19 pm

I had very similar numbers after last June's LSAT. Chose to retake and made a big improvement that resulted in several great options this cycle. I'd strongly suggest a retake with that GPA.

LocalNative

Postby LocalNative » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:58 pm

Thanks for the responses. Retake it is.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”