The effect of one's 'connections' in law admissions? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
miobrien

New

The effect of one's 'connections' in law admissions?

Post by miobrien » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:33 am

For undergraduate admissions, I believe one's "connections" can have a large impact. By connections I mean a person who has pull at an institution -- perhaps a professor or administrator, or maybe an alumnus or donor, or someone more high-profile like a politician. I knew a few people in high school who took advantage of their connections, and got into great schools. I'm not necessarily talking about unqualified candidates here; more so people who almost meet a school's admissions credentials, and need/want an extra push.

Nonetheless, I'm wondering how prevalent this is in law school admissions? If I had to take a guess, I'd say it's probably less prevalent than at the undergraduate level. My understanding of the law school admissions process is that it's a numbers game and almost all about the rankings. Perhaps there is less leeway for one's connections to influence admissions decisions. But maybe I'm wrong.

I'm interested how prevalent it is at the most competitive schools -- specifically the top 6 -- because I have a friend from college (planning to apply to law school next fall), who mentioned that one of his family members works for a US senator, and this family member has lightly offered to advocate for him at one of these schools -- apparently with a blessing from the senator himself. Can we assume that US senators have good relationships with the law schools in their state?

Anyway, my friend and I have similar numbers so it kinda annoys me! I'm skeptic about whether someone with a ~3.6/171-3 could get into YHS with connections.
Last edited by miobrien on Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Platinum

Re: The effect of one's 'connections' in law admissions?

Post by Knock » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:35 am

miobrien wrote:For undergraduate admissions, I believe one's "connections" can have a large impact. By connections I mean a person who has pull at an institution -- perhaps a professor or administrator, or maybe an alumnus or donor, or someone more high-profile like a politician. I knew a few people in high school who took advantage of their connections, and got into great schools. I'm not necessarily talking about unqualified candidates here; more so people who almost meet a school's admissions credentials, and need/want an extra push.

Nonetheless, I'm wondering how prevalent this is in law school admissions? If I had to take a guess, I'd say it's probably less prevalent than at the undergraduate level. My understanding of the law school admissions process is that it's a numbers game and almost all about the rankings. Perhaps there is less leeway for one's connections to influence admissions decisions. But maybe I'm wrong.

I'm interested how prevalent it is at the most competitive schools -- specifically the top 6 -- because I have a friend from college (planning to apply to law school next fall), who mentioned that one of his family members works for a US senator, and this family member has lightly offered to advocate for him at one of these schools -- apparently with a blessing from the senator himself. Can we assume that US senators have good relationships with the law schools in their state?

Anyway, my friend and I have similar numbers so it kinda annoys me! Oh well. Just curious.
It won't be significant. There was a self-report on LSN of a guy who got into Yale with a really low LSAT, but he was a double or triple legacy or something. For the most part it's all a numbers & rankings game. Especially not a family member works for a US senator, it would be more like, the dad is the US senator, or ponied up serious money.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:36 am

if you are on hold, please do not actively solicit our alums or faculty. it is not becoming and makes for a grumpy adcom.
about 16 hours ago via web

tweetsbyjohann

lawfuture10

Bronze

Post by lawfuture10 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:53 am

fatduck wrote:
if you are on hold, please do not actively solicit our alums or faculty. it is not becoming and makes for a grumpy adcom.
about 16 hours ago via web

tweetsbyjohann
lolol +1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”