Better rep or smaller debt

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hopkins

Better rep or smaller debt

Postby hopkins » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:22 pm

Not much of a poster, but I could use some straight advice. For various reasons, I cannot leave NYC. Currently, I'm deciding between Fordham and Cardozo, with the hopes of hearing from NYU soon. I received 20k per year at Fordham and 34k at Cardozo. I'm absolutely not interested in biglaw, although that, of course, could change.
Any thoughts?

FiveSermon

Re: Better rep or smaller debt

Postby FiveSermon » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:30 pm

NYU at sticker > Fordham even at half ride.

hopkins

Postby hopkins » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:34 pm

FiveSermon wrote:NYU at sticker > Fordham even at half ride.

Thanks, but I'm not in at NYU yet.

hokie

Postby hokie » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:45 pm

for a difference of 14k per year (and if absolutely came down to those two schools), I would choose Fordham. I know a few people that have recently graduated from Fordham and all of them are gainfully employed (they also did fairly well in school). If you have absolutely ZERO interest in biglaw, then go to wherever you come out with the least debt.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:55 pm

hokie wrote:for a difference of 14k per year (and if absolutely came down to those two schools), I would choose Fordham. I know a few people that have recently graduated from Fordham and all of them are gainfully employed (they also did fairly well in school). If you have absolutely ZERO interest in biglaw, then go to wherever you come out with the least debt.

It doesn't matter what your interests are b/c Fordham will give you a better chance than Cardozo in any field. When we are talking about six figure debt, 14k does not make a difference. Therefore, you should go to Fordham, if NYU turns out to not be an option.

Disclaimer: If you do not get Biglaw or LRAP, Fordham at sticker will leave you in big trouble.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:56 pm

Any stipulations on the scholarships? Absent that, it's close, but I'd go with Fordham if I were you.

hopkins

Postby hopkins » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:10 am

BeenDidThat wrote:Any stipulations on the scholarships? Absent that, it's close, but I'd go with Fordham if I were you.

Fordham is guaranteed. Cardozo is basically guaranteed (have to be in top 80%).

hopkins

Postby hopkins » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:12 am

It doesn't matter what your interests are b/c Fordham will give you a better chance than Cardozo in any field. When we are talking about six figure debt, 14k does not make a difference.

Who's talking about 6-figure debt. Dozo will set me back about 30k and Fham about 75.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:16 am

hopkins wrote:It doesn't matter what your interests are b/c Fordham will give you a better chance than Cardozo in any field. When we are talking about six figure debt, 14k does not make a difference.

Who's talking about 6-figure debt. Dozo will set me back about 30k and Fham about 75.

Yeeeaaa I read your first post too fast and didn't see "per year." If you don't want Biglaw, take the extra money at Cardozo. I don't think the job prospects from Fordham are that much greater than the 42K extra at Cardozo when you take Biglaw out of the picture.

dadamafia

Postby dadamafia » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:37 am

Considering that your interest in biglaw may/will change in the future, I'd say go to Fordham.

If you truly have ZERO interest in biglaw, which I do not believe is the case, then Cardozo offers a great deal where you can graduate with minimal debt.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:34 am

Depends upon what you bring with you to law school. Some people have what it takes to land great jobs from T4's. Some people have great experience, skills, and connections. If you're one of these, go to the school with less debt.

Others bring little with them except an English degree and experience waiting tables. If you're one of these, you need the firepower that prestige brings, just to get ANY job (we're not even talking about Big Law here).

$20,000/yr vs. 34000/yr is a lot of debt either way for a school that is neither T14 nor the best law school in your state. You have a higher chance of simply getting a job from Fordham. One year of mediocre earnings could easily cancel out a year of unemployment. Definitely Fordham, ideally NYU, if you want a job and don't have some other impressive qualification that could get you a job on its own.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”