Which is the best option to fill 1yr gap?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

How should I spend my time before law school?

Work for a large corporation
43%
Do a 6 month internship at govt. agency + 6 month chilling out
32%
Go to graduate school and drop out before I leave for law school
1%
Enjoy a full year of traveling and watching Spartacus
24%

Total votes: 114

FiveSermon

Re: Which is the best option to fill 1yr gap?

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:20 pm

dkt4 wrote:
dr123 wrote:Please explain how you don't have to be wealthy and how its not immature. I work full time and have a pretty good job and make enough to live fairly comfortably, finish paying my student loans, and save a little. If i quit my job to travel the world, how would that not be immature. Also even if it onl took up half of my savings it would still be a major finincial hit.

it is crazy to say that travel is for the immature. you can certainly travel on a budget, 3-5 grand would be plenty to travel many places for 3-6 months...if you want to live lavishly you probably need to be wealthy, okay.

OP is not currently employed...so he isn't quitting his job?

This. I know people who traveled europe with a very small budget. They stayed at hostels and ate like one meal a day.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:35 am

dr123 wrote:Please explain how you don't have to be wealthy and how its not immature. I work full time and have a pretty good job and make enough to live fairly comfortably, finish paying my student loans, and save a little. If i quit my job to travel the world, how would that not be immature. Also even if it onl took up half of my savings it would still be a major finincial hit.

The OP isn't quitting his job is he?

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:50 am

The OP isn't quitting his job is he?

No, I have one semester of school left.

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:43 pm

I'm hopelessly derailed by trying to figure out why you'd start grad school already intending to drop out.

I'd just work since the only wisdom I've heard on this issue is that doing anything is better than doing nothing (i.e. chilling out/television marathons)

ballpop

Postby ballpop » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:18 pm

Do the govt internship, then take a nice easy volunteer gig (ie big brother/big sister)

Trust me, if you don't go the firm direction, this will give you some great connections/pop in your resume

ballpop

Postby ballpop » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:26 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
dkt4 wrote:

it is crazy to say that travel is for the immature. you can certainly travel on a budget, 3-5 grand would be plenty to travel many places for 3-6 months...if you want to live lavishly you probably need to be wealthy, okay.

OP is not currently employed...so he isn't quitting his job?

This. I know people who traveled europe with a very small budget. They stayed at hostels and ate like one meal a day.

You also don't have to travel Europe and starve yourself. Pretty cheap to strap on a backpack and hit Central or South America or SE Asia---I lived like a king for 20-25 days for less than 800 dollars---and by kind I mean only 2-4 star hotels, taxis everywhere, going out almost every night

ballpop

Postby ballpop » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:29 pm

Hell you could also do a 6 month gig at the internship, then 6 months of volunteering overseas (ie orphanages, building houses etc), teaching English (working holiday) or if you can, grab a microfinance gig

glacierfrost

Postby glacierfrost » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:31 pm

What kind of corporate job are we talking about here, Google or Enterprise Rent a Car Management Trainee program?

aspire2more

Postby aspire2more » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:58 am

I don't understand why you would sit around doing nothing for months if you did an internship, so I picked option 1. FWIW, some of my applications asked me to submit an addendum to explain any gaps in my schooling/employment history and 6 months was right around the number they were concerned about. I'm not sure that a desire to chill out would make a good explanation, so just be aware of that.

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:48 am

glacierfrost wrote:What kind of corporate job are we talking about here, Google or Enterprise Rent a Car Management Trainee program?

I'm talking like a large corporation, some of the ones I'm applying for are fortune 500.

However, even if I do get a job at a fortune 500, I worry that I'll be doing mostly grunt work for about a year, (that's what I heard) so I really won't have much to talk about during summer 1L positions.

Btw, I'm applying for corporate jobs right now regardless of what my decision might be by the time I graduate.
Last edited by roranoa on Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:49 am

aspire2more wrote:I don't understand why you would sit around doing nothing for months if you did an internship, so I picked option 1. FWIW, some of my applications asked me to submit an addendum to explain any gaps in my schooling/employment history and 6 months was right around the number they were concerned about. I'm not sure that a desire to chill out would make a good explanation, so just be aware of that.

Wow, this really helped. I would hate explaining myself for a 6 month gap.(especially by writing)

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:08 am

roranoa wrote:
glacierfrost wrote:What kind of corporate job are we talking about here, Google or Enterprise Rent a Car Management Trainee program?

I'm talking like a large corporation, some of the ones I'm applying for are fortune 500.

However, even if I do get a job at a fortune 500, I worry that I'll be doing mostly grunt work for about a year, (that's what I heard) so I really won't have much to talk about during summer 1L positions.

Btw, I'm applying for corporate jobs right now regardless of what my decision might be by the time I graduate.

Why do you keep saying Fortune 500? Wal-mart/McDonalds/Target Associates are technically Fortune 500 employees.

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:01 am

Why do you keep saying Fortune 500? Wal-mart/McDonalds/Target Associates are technically Fortune 500 employees.

No particular reason. I just find it to be the easiest way of giving people the idea that I'm looking at large corporations, not some car renting company.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:24 am

Do the Nordic countries still have tuition free grad programs for foreigners? I know Sweden ended theirs.

Paying for a Masters is retarded unless it's a engineering degree, and even then it's still probably stupid.

You can definitely travel but not if it's going to blow all your savings right before law school. School is expensive, and the buget is tight. You'll want the cash then.

You should work for 11 months and take a 3 week trip to wherever you want right before school.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”