Which is the best option to fill 1yr gap?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

How should I spend my time before law school?

Work for a large corporation
49
43%
Do a 6 month internship at govt. agency + 6 month chilling out
37
32%
Go to graduate school and drop out before I leave for law school
1
1%
Enjoy a full year of traveling and watching Spartacus
27
24%
 
Total votes: 114

roranoa
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:18 am

Which is the best option to fill 1yr gap?

Postby roranoa » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:49 am

I'm not sure if this thread belongs in this forum but I'll go ahead anyway.

So I'm planning to retake the LSAT this June and I'll be graduating around that time as well.

That means I will have 1 year left before I start law school next year. (if I get admitted to one that is)

I have three options to fill that one year gap.

1.Work for a large corporation (fortune 500...however there's no guarantee I'll get an offer)
2.Do a 6 month internship at a government agency and spend the rest of the time chilling out.
3.Go to graduate school with an international studies program. I will have to drop out after one year though...I just think I might get some valuable networking opportunities and might actually learn something. (I want to specialize in international commerce in the future)

I worry that I might actually waste my time not doing anything substantive and I also fear I might lack things to talk about for 1L summer jobs. (I'm not sure if that even matters though...)

Can anyone share some insights on this matter?

Thanks
Last edited by roranoa on Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:44 am, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Which is the best option to fill 1yr gap?

Postby rman1201 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:55 am

Does the internship pay?
#3 sounds like an awful idea. No offence, but don't do it.

Work (or get an internship), get some real world experience under your belt. Save some money and use it to take a month or two off before law school to relax or travel.

roranoa
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:18 am

Re: Which is the best option to fill 1yr gap?

Postby roranoa » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:00 am

rman1201 wrote:Does the internship pay?
#3 sounds like an awful idea. No offence, but don't do it.

Work (or get an internship), get some real world experience under your belt. Save some money and use it to take a month or two off before law school to relax or travel.


The internship is a non-paid internship. But money is not an issue at the moment. Or is there some other reason why a non-paid internship would be a problem?

The 3rd option does sound like a waste of money....but I just thought it would help cuz at least I would be doing something I can talk about for that period.
(Also getting in the graduate program would be the easiest of the three options in my situation)
Last edited by roranoa on Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Which is the best option to fill 1yr gap?

Postby JazzOne » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:00 am

Create a poll. Traveling the world is for the wealthy or the immature. Option #1 sounds best.

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Which is the best option to fill 1yr gap?

Postby rman1201 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:03 am

roranoa wrote:
rman1201 wrote:Does the internship pay?
#3 sounds like an awful idea. No offence, but don't do it.

Work (or get an internship), get some real world experience under your belt. Save some money and use it to take a month or two off before law school to relax or travel.


The internship is a non-paid internship. But money is not an issue at the moment. Or is there some other reason why a non-paid internship would be a problem?

The 3rd option does sound like a waste of money....but I just thought it would help cuz at least I would be doing something I can talk about for that period.
(Also getting in the graduate program would be the easiest of the three options in my situation)


Dropping out of an academic program wouldn't be something to 'talk about'. If you really want to network/learn then just take some continuing ed courses at the local comm college or university.

If the internship is in a field you want to pursue later and money really isn't an issue then go for it, otherwise work and relax.

User avatar
txadv11
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: Which is the best option to fill 1yr gap?

Postby txadv11 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:07 am

I voted for option one. I'd say do either the corporation gig or the government internship but I think going to some grad program and then never finishing is a waste of time and money.

roranoa
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:18 am

Re: Which is the best option to fill 1yr gap?

Postby roranoa » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:23 am

Bump.

Still can't decide between corporation work or internship

Trying to get an actual job would take away some of my time from studying the LSAT while the internship gig requires a really simple interview.

So....I still can't decide.

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: Which is the best option to fill 1yr gap?

Postby TommyK » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:30 am

I voted for option 1, but after reading that money isn't an option, I'd go for traveling. And JazzOne may be right about it for the rich or the immature, but doesn't mean it won't be fun and it sounds like you really want to do this. If you're sitting on a pile of cash, enjoy life. I doubt it will make that big of difference in admission decisions.

roranoa
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:18 am

Re: Which is the best option to fill 1yr gap?

Postby roranoa » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:43 am

TommyK wrote:I voted for option 1, but after reading that money isn't an option, I'd go for traveling. And JazzOne may be right about it for the rich or the immature, but doesn't mean it won't be fun and it sounds like you really want to do this. If you're sitting on a pile of cash, enjoy life. I doubt it will make that big of difference in admission decisions.


I'm not rich or anything but worked during undergrad an have some money to travel.

I agree that it won't make a difference for admission decisions but I worry that it would matter for summer 1L job interviews...

User avatar
Perch
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: Which is the best option to fill 1yr gap?

Postby Perch » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:46 am

roranoa wrote:
TommyK wrote:I voted for option 1, but after reading that money isn't an option, I'd go for traveling. And JazzOne may be right about it for the rich or the immature, but doesn't mean it won't be fun and it sounds like you really want to do this. If you're sitting on a pile of cash, enjoy life. I doubt it will make that big of difference in admission decisions.


I'm not rich or anything but worked during undergrad an have some money to travel.

I agree that it won't make a difference for admission decisions but I worry that it would matter for summer 1L job interviews...


law school ain't cheap...

User avatar
BrownBears09
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: Which is the best option to fill 1yr gap?

Postby BrownBears09 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:36 pm

JazzOne wrote:Create a poll. Traveling the world is for the wealthy or the immature. Option #1 sounds best.


+1.

Sounds to me like the OP doesn't really want to be a lawyer, and is just trying to delay getting an actual job.

User avatar
Sentry
Posts: 1235
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: Which is the best option to fill 1yr gap?

Postby Sentry » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:39 pm

Wait two years and join the Peace Corps.

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: Which is the best option to fill 1yr gap?

Postby FiveSermon » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:42 pm

Chill

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Which is the best option to fill 1yr gap?

Postby 2014 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:11 pm

If you WANT to stay in school there are 1 year masters programs that would be better than doing a 2-3 year one and dropping out.

Working would be more ideal, but if you strike out on 1 and 2, I would look for a grad program you can finish in a year.

roranoa
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:18 am

Re: Which is the best option to fill 1yr gap?

Postby roranoa » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:00 pm

Sounds to me like the OP doesn't really want to be a lawyer


Where did this come from??

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: Which is the best option to fill 1yr gap?

Postby Lawquacious » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:02 pm

lol at option 3

mst
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:01 am

Re: Which is the best option to fill 1yr gap?

Postby mst » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:17 pm

Option 3 is the stupidest idea ever. Non-technical/medical/professional grad school is a joke. Not finishing grad school is a bigger joke. Option 2 sounds fine, but let me tell you that 6 months of doing nothing is not healthy. Currently involved with that. Stupid idea. Option 1 is credited. Option 2 is solid backup. Option 3 is the worst idea ever, aside from doing nothing for a year.

User avatar
robotclubmember
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:53 am

Re: Which is the best option to fill 1yr gap?

Postby robotclubmember » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:43 pm

what makes you so sure option 1 is an option? you can't just waltz into a big company and tell them you want to work there for a year and then leave never to return again. why would they hire you? the poll makes it sound like you have something lined up but reading your other posts it sounds like that is not so.

do the gov't internship. because option 1 sounds pretty unrealistic unless you have an offer in hand or you're connected.

roranoa
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:18 am

Re: Which is the best option to fill 1yr gap?

Postby roranoa » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:01 pm

mst wrote:Option 3 is the stupidest idea ever. Non-technical/medical/professional grad school is a joke. Not finishing grad school is a bigger joke. Option 2 sounds fine, but let me tell you that 6 months of doing nothing is not healthy. Currently involved with that. Stupid idea. Option 1 is credited. Option 2 is solid backup. Option 3 is the worst idea ever, aside from doing nothing for a year.


Then, would it make a difference if I did a 1 year program that I could finish before law school? Would getting work experience be a better option still?

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Which is the best option to fill 1yr gap?

Postby fatduck » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:02 pm

how much are they paying you to watch spartacus? it would have to be a lot.

roranoa
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:18 am

Re: Which is the best option to fill 1yr gap?

Postby roranoa » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:03 pm

robotclubmember wrote:what makes you so sure option 1 is an option? you can't just waltz into a big company and tell them you want to work there for a year and then leave never to return again. why would they hire you? the poll makes it sound like you have something lined up but reading your other posts it sounds like that is not so.

do the gov't internship. because option 1 sounds pretty unrealistic unless you have an offer in hand or you're connected.


I actually stated that there is no guarantee for option 1.
But I do believe I have a decent chance at some firms for particular reasons.(internship at that firm for example)

mst
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:01 am

Re: Which is the best option to fill 1yr gap?

Postby mst » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:11 pm

roranoa wrote:
mst wrote:Option 3 is the stupidest idea ever. Non-technical/medical/professional grad school is a joke. Not finishing grad school is a bigger joke. Option 2 sounds fine, but let me tell you that 6 months of doing nothing is not healthy. Currently involved with that. Stupid idea. Option 1 is credited. Option 2 is solid backup. Option 3 is the worst idea ever, aside from doing nothing for a year.


Then, would it make a difference if I did a 1 year program that I could finish before law school? Would getting work experience be a better option still?


Depends on the program. Gut instinct is no because I cant think of any 1 year programs off the top of my head that are worth it from a value standpoint. However, there's always the benefit of having to do little work while looking productive busy. So if you feel like being lazy while wasting a year of your life, go for it. Job will help with recruiting a tiny bit if you decide you want to go professional/big law (idk what kinda school youre looking at), not to mention you can save up money. which is double the productivity of spending said money on a 1 year grad program. a 1 year grad program in whatever area of law might help depending on where you plan on going to school/what EXACTLY youre applying for... but don't overrate its value.

also when making a choice, put yourself in a position to do well on the lsat and get your apps in early. if you're going to be working 50 hours a week all summer and fall, you might want to rethink the job if you can't handle the stress of preparing properly at the same time... which is difficult after coming home exhausted after a long day.

User avatar
DreamsInDigital
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: Which is the best option to fill 1yr gap?

Postby DreamsInDigital » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:32 pm

I'd go with the six month internship and six months of relaxing. It gives you something to put on your resume, yet won't burn you out and gives you some time to relax before the workload hell that is law school.

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: Which is the best option to fill 1yr gap?

Postby rebexness » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:34 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mst
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:01 am

Re: Which is the best option to fill 1yr gap?

Postby mst » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:36 pm

rebexness wrote:I'd do the 6 mo govt internship, but I'd find something more to do in the other 6 months than just relax.

I'd hazard an 0L guess that it would be easier to go from "working" to 1L than "relaxing" to 1L.


Depends on the person I'm sure. For example, a lot of people who were in the work force, etc. for a while complain on the net frequently about being at a disadvantage compared to those coming directly out of UG who are already in the study mindset. But definitely an underrated thing to consider.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests