Undergrad internship as WE

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cmob

Undergrad internship as WE

Postby cmob » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:25 am

After looking around, it looks like noone really covered this...

Graduating in May; I'm taking a year off after UG to work for the same financial bank / insurer that I interned at during my senior year (paid, full time summer/winter, ~20 hrs/wk school yr). The responsibilities are virtually identical to a hire out of undergrad, and I'd be able to provide many letters of rec supporting this. I'd also be picking up several industry-specific designations during the year that are not common for a 22-year old hire.

Would a school like Northwestern consider these two years to be work experience, or would it exclude the internship portion in this situation? For those who say no, what extra info/support would persuade schools otherwise? After checking the stats, it would really help to hit the two year WE mark, as I would escape the 20% statistic of students with <2 years exp. I guess it would also apply to other schools, as WE never hurts.

If it helps, 3.5 and reasonably expecting 171 from Feb LSAT.

Thanks for your help/advice!!

dr123

Re: Undergrad internship as WE

Postby dr123 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:26 am

no, work experience is full time work after graduation

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:27 am

cmob wrote:After looking around, it looks like noone really covered this...

Graduating in May; I'm taking a year off after UG to work for the same financial bank / insurer that I interned at during my senior year (paid, full time summer/winter, ~20 hrs/wk school yr). The responsibilities are virtually identical to a hire out of undergrad, and I'd be able to provide many letters of rec supporting this. I'd also be picking up several industry-specific designations during the year that are not common for a 22-year old hire.

Would a school like Northwestern consider these two years to be work experience, or would it exclude the internship portion in this situation? For those who say no, what extra info/support would persuade schools otherwise? After checking the stats, it would really help to hit the two year WE mark, as I would escape the 20% statistic of students with <2 years exp. I guess it would also apply to other schools, as WE never hurts.

No, they're referencing post-graduate work experience, even if it's the same job I believe. And wait until you have an actual LSAT score before making any predictions.

cmob

Postby cmob » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:33 am

Knock wrote:
cmob wrote:After looking around, it looks like noone really covered this...

No, they're referencing post-graduate work experience, even if it's the same job I believe. And wait until you have an actual LSAT score before making any predictions.

Not so much of a prediction as it is just planning ahead, but otherwise thanks for the clarification. Even if schools don't objectively consider this WE, would business-oriented schools like NW or TX even consider UG work an admissions factor?

ATR

Postby ATR » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:58 am

cmob wrote:Even if schools don't objectively consider this WE, would business-oriented schools like NW or TX even consider UG work an admissions factor?

Sure, they would consider it. However, NW has a pretty hard and fast stance concerning post-graduate work experience. FWIW, I'm applying straight from UG with numbers at/above NW's medians. I also happen to have substantial UG work experience. I haven't received a decision yet, but I'll probably get dinged. The only reason I applied was because they sent me a fee waiver.

Texas doesn't have a postgrad work requirement like Northwestern.

ams

Postby ams » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:47 pm

I can tell you that if your numbers are above both 75ths then Northwestern will very likely not care about your lack of work experience. But with your numbers the WE is more important I'd imagine. I'd revisit the question when you get your February score. If you're dead set on attending Northwestern, you could apply and then if you are not accepted apply again the next cycle by which time you would have 2 years WE. And if you get below a 170 I'd probably say retake. If you're dead set on not waiting another year to get the 2 years WE, you could try to raise your score to a 175+ and that would probably help too. Just my two cents.

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:54 am

Just an FYI, Michigan referenced my work experience in my acceptance, and it's pretty much entirely made up of a ridiculous amount of internships- only one taking place after I graduated.

I think for some schools internships may count as work, though I'd say they don't count for as much.

cmob

Postby cmob » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:10 pm

lzyovrachievr wrote:Just an FYI, Michigan referenced my work experience in my acceptance, and it's pretty much entirely made up of a ridiculous amount of internships- only one taking place after I graduated.

I think for some schools internships may count as work, though I'd say they don't count for as much.

Thanks, this does help put it in a better light, although your numbers are insane compared to mine so I'm trying not to get my hopes up :?

HarveyBirdman

Postby HarveyBirdman » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:46 pm

lzyovrachievr wrote:

What about working in general during undergrad? Retail, usually 40 hours a week, sometimes less, depending on business.

I mean, yeah, it's not "dignified" work where I get to wear a suit and tie and screw around in a cubicle all day, but it is still "work."

And what if someone graduated from college, couldn't find a "real job" where they could use their college degree, and just had a year or two of work experience working at a job someone with a high school diploma could get? What are the admissions people going to say? "We're sorry, we can't admit you to our school because the economy at the time and place of your application was bad and caused you to work a menial job. Please try again in the next lifetime."

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:38 pm

HarveyBirdman wrote:
What about working in general during undergrad? Retail, usually 40 hours a week, sometimes less, depending on business.

I mean, yeah, it's not "dignified" work where I get to wear a suit and tie and screw around in a cubicle all day, but it is still "work."

And what if someone graduated from college, couldn't find a "real job" where they could use their college degree, and just had a year or two of work experience working at a job someone with a high school diploma could get? What are the admissions people going to say? "We're sorry, we can't admit you to our school because the economy at the time and place of your application was bad and caused you to work a menial job. Please try again in the next lifetime."

I doubt retails looks as impressive on a resume as a desk job or whatever, but to be fair, work experience doesn't really count for anything anyway unless it is legitimately very impressive-- and even then, not much.

It's just like most soft factors- a threshold criteria. Seeing something on your resume is good, but it doesn't really matter what it is for the most part. On average, you'll get in where your numbers predict you will.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”