Getting ready for 2012.... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
colorando

New

Getting ready for 2012....

Post by colorando » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:20 am

Whats the best way to start preparing my app now for 2012?
I'm taken the LSAT, graduated from UG a while ago, and have 2 very solid recommendations lined up.

Obviously going to start working on my PS, and addendum

One thing I'm wondering about is additional essay questions as many applications are hard to find now as this cycle ends.
I found this: --LinkRemoved--
but it isn't terribly helpful

Also I hear alot about "Why X-School?" essays. Are these just additional essays that many people include with their applications for schools they are specifically interested in?

If it matters schools I'm planning on applying to are:
UC-Boalt (I've heard they require a ton of writing: is this anything beyond a 4 page PS?)
UCLA
Colorado
Washington

fatduck

Gold

Re: Getting ready for 2012....

Post by fatduck » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:45 am

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:55 am

--LinkRemoved--

1. Read this
2. Apply to med school
3. ...?
4. Profit

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:54 am

colorando wrote:Whats the best way to start preparing my app now for 2012?
I'm taken the LSAT, graduated from UG a while ago, and have 2 very solid recommendations lined up.

One thing I'm wondering about is additional essay questions as many applications are hard to find now as this cycle ends.

Also I hear alot about "Why X-School?" essays. Are these just additional essays that many people include with their applications for schools they are specifically interested in?

UC-Boalt (I've heard they require a ton of writing: is this anything beyond a 4 page PS?)
UCLA
Colorado
Washington
Don't know why everyone is trolling this perfectly legitimate question. Why X essays is a short essay that basically explains what aspects of a school you are interested in and/or why you be a good fit for the school. Usually you discuss things like clinics, programs, professors, location, classes, etc. Some schools are known for making a Why X essay nearly a requirement. The best example of this is UVA. Other schools, like Penn, require one of several essay choices, one of which is basically a "Why Penn" essay. If well-written, Why X essays can possibly be helpful if you are a borderline candidate at a school, and show you are strongly interested in a school. They can also be used to avoid YP (yield protection), again by showing you are interested in the school.

Most schools don't have official additional essay options, you just send in a Why X essay. Some schools, like Penn have required additional essays. If you are applying there, go find the Penn thread (or whatever school you want to find out information about additional essays) in the Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlist forum and i'm sure they would be able to tell you what the additional essay questions were.

Boalt's PS is a maximum of 4 pages, most other schools are 2.

If you are really looking for something else to do, i'd suggest trying to get a 3rd LOR to send in if you get waitlisted or held. I think this could add something to your application and maybe help you stand out slightly when they are re-reading files, looking for someone to let in.

colorando

New

Post by colorando » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:49 am

Thanks alot Knock. Thats good to know. If I'm so motivated should I send a Why X? essay to every school I apply to? Most that I'm looking at fit a certain profile so some of the main points should translate. Is it also important to fit this essay along with your PS or does it work better if they stand alone?

I'm always amazed at how quickly people volunteer useless contributions to threads. As a new user of this site, I'm impressed by the quantity of great information but generally frustrated by the trolling you have to sift through in order to get what you're looking for on a thread. Just some food for thought for those of you who choose to post such useless contributions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kswizzie

Bronze

Post by Kswizzie » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:12 pm

Bedsole wrote:http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comme ... ts_likely/

1. Read this
2. Apply to med school
3. ...?
4. Profit
I feel I profited just by reading that... that thread took a weird turn

afcanoe

Bronze

Post by afcanoe » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:44 pm

Knock wrote:
colorando wrote:Whats the best way to start preparing my app now for 2012?

UCLA
Colorado
Washington
Don't know why everyone is trolling this perfectly legitimate question. Why X essays is a short essay that basically explains what aspects of a school you are interested in and/or why you be a good fit for the school. Usually you discuss things like clinics, programs, professors, location, classes, etc. Some schools are known for making a Why X essay nearly a requirement. The best example of this is UVA. Other schools, like Penn, require one of several essay choices, one of which is basically a "Why Penn" essay. If well-written, Why X essays can possibly be helpful if you are a borderline candidate at a school, and show you are strongly interested in a school. They can also be used to avoid YP (yield protection), again by showing you are interested in the school.

Most schools don't have official additional essay options, you just send in a Why X essay. Some schools, like Penn have required additional essays. If you are applying there, go find the Penn thread (or whatever school you want to find out information about additional essays) in the Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlist forum and i'm sure they would be able to tell you what the additional essay questions were.

Boalt's PS is a maximum of 4 pages, most other schools are 2.

If you are really looking for something else to do, i'd suggest trying to get a 3rd LOR to send in if you get waitlisted or held. I think this could add something to your application and maybe help you stand out slightly when they are re-reading files, looking for someone to let in.
+1.

I totally agree with the info Knock provided. Michigan also gives several options for their "optional" essay. For what it's worth, I applied (and was accepted to) Michigan, Penn, and UVA, and I didn't write a single "Why X?" essay. I chose from the other options that UM and Penn offered, and I didn't write an additional essay for UVA. This is not to say that "Why X?" essays aren't helpful/important components of an application, but my impression is that schools that ask for supplemental writing just want to see a thoughtful, well-written response to one of their questions. (I felt I could a more compelling essay in response to topics other than "Why X?")

Since you seem like you're ahead of the game in terms of planning for a 2012 application, I would begin working on your PS; worry about additional essays later. A quality PS can put you over the edge if your numbers are borderline.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”