Western State College of Law 2011 Applicants

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
BobbyDigital
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:16 pm

Western State College of Law 2011 Applicants

Postby BobbyDigital » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:58 pm

Anyone considering this school?

I applied without any real intentions of going, until a rep called who filled me in on the school. I was shocked to hear their bar passage rate of 83%??? Most tier 2, 3, and all other tier 4 schools have a much lower passage rate. Anyway, that, coupled with a scholarship, gave me something to think about.

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: Western State College of Law 2011 Applicants

Postby FiveSermon » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:00 pm

Passing the bar isn't what you should be worried about.

User avatar
gothamm
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Re: Western State College of Law 2011 Applicants

Postby gothamm » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:14 am

this has to be a flame.

User avatar
gothamm
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Re: Western State College of Law 2011 Applicants

Postby gothamm » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:17 am

Is this the one in fullerton?

I will say that its an EXCELLENT law school...to take the lsat.

I took the lsat there, and I had a lot of space to work with, as they seat test takers 2 seats apart from each other with nice big flat roomy tables.

youngblood
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Western State College of Law 2011 Applicants

Postby youngblood » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:51 pm

They received ABA accreditation in 2009 and they have bar passage rates of 83% in 2010 I believe. It is still a t4, so job prospects are much lower. Look at it from your own perspective.

User avatar
BobbyDigital
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: Western State College of Law 2011 Applicants

Postby BobbyDigital » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:33 am

bar pass rates don't mean much, but I'm still interested to find out how a school that lets in almost everyone killed the bar last year, more so than schools that are far more selective with their applicants. I'm going to check out their open house this weekend.

Oblivion_08
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Western State College of Law 2011 Applicants

Postby Oblivion_08 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:51 am

I got admitted here as well. Not my first choice, but if I don't get off the waitlist at SW and Whittier..I'll probably go here. Let me know how the open house is.

User avatar
Fred_McGriff
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:43 pm

Re: Western State College of Law 2011 Applicants

Postby Fred_McGriff » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:17 am

BobbyDigital wrote:I'm still interested to find out how a school that lets in almost everyone killed the bar last year, more so than schools that are far more selective with their applicants.


They have 32.6% 1L attrition. That means that they accept anyone, charge them $35,190 a year regardless of whether they stay or fail, and if they are in the bottom of the class (less likely to pass the bar) they kick them out. The remaining 67.4% of the students (excluding those that fail out in subsequent years) are then ranked proportionally lower in their class as the median students move down to the bottom 50%. Once they have the two thirds of the class they want to teach, they spend a lot of time drilling bar prep instead of teaching a traditional legal curriculum. Of the remaining students who graduate, having passed the gauntlet of attrition, bar prep, and presumably section stacking, 17% don't pass the bar exam.

(((enjoy)))

User avatar
BobbyDigital
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: Western State College of Law 2011 Applicants

Postby BobbyDigital » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:33 pm

where'd you find those attrition stats? Per the school it's 15%.

User avatar
Fred_McGriff
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:43 pm

Re: Western State College of Law 2011 Applicants

Postby Fred_McGriff » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:44 pm

BobbyDigital wrote:where'd you find those attrition stats? Per the school it's 15%.


Lawschoolnumbers.com

Which is more likely, the school accepts the bottom of the barrel when it comes to admission with cheery marketing, doesn't teach to the bar at the expense of a traditional legal curriculum, doesn't use attrition to massage their stats at Joe Student's expense, and somehow uses magic to keep their bar passage so high.... or they use all of the dirty tricks to bilk money out of people willing to pay it.

Oblivion_08
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Western State College of Law 2011 Applicants

Postby Oblivion_08 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:54 pm

Just visited today.. I'm withdrawing today.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests