Do you get a gift for your recommender?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tinlawman

Do you get a gift for your recommender?

Postby tinlawman » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:05 pm

What did you get them, and how much did you spend. One of my LOR writers is my department advisor and another is a professor I had a couple years ago. I'm still in undergrad.

paulinaporizkova

Re: Do you get a gift for your recommender?

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:07 pm

I just sent my recommenders homemade cards (actually made by my cousin, who is a photog) thanking them profusely and explaining where i was thinking about going (which ended up being a lot of words, FWIW)

However, I am not still in undergrad so I don't live in the same city as my recommenders anymore

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:15 pm

I'm out of undergrad and don't live in the same city, but I'm just going to send an email once I decide where I'll attend. If I was still in undergrad though, I'd probably just go see them during office hours and thank them in person and talk to them about where I'm going and why. I wouldn't get them anything, unless they were hot women, in which case I would probably get a bottle of wine and ask their plans for the evening.

edit: it would still be a cheap bottle though

BlueDevil2007

Postby BlueDevil2007 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:22 pm

Yes. A professor wrote me a LOR, got him a bottle of scotch.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:23 pm

2011Law wrote:I'm out of undergrad and don't live in the same city, but I'm just going to send an email once I decide where I'll attend. If I was still in undergrad though, I'd probably just go see them during office hours and thank them in person and talk to them about where I'm going and why. I wouldn't get them anything, unless they were hot women, in which case I would probably get a bottle of wine and ask their plans for the evening.

edit: it would still be a cheap bottle though
Last edited by tea_drinker on Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:26 pm

BlueDevil2007 wrote:Yes. A professor wrote me a LOR, got him a bottle of scotch.

5 bottles, one for each of my 5 recommenders (3 nice bottles of wine, 2 bottles of scotch). I was 2 years out, so it wasn't too cost-prohibitive, but I probably spent $150 on it. Each wrote me two letters (a general one, and one school-specific one) and were all great help through the process, so it was the least I could do for them helping get me into some dream schools.

After going through the Diversity Scholarship application process this year, I'm giving similar gifts to my 3 references. Make sure they aren't non-drinkers beforehand, though :)

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:31 pm

When I make my decision I'll probably get them like a coffee mug from the school or something like that to show my appreciation. I have strong relationships with both of my recommenders at my ugrad, so I know they'll appreciate the gesture too.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:20 pm

My recommenders were all work-related (I'm 8 yrs out of UG). I got each of them a Harry & David treat box thing, mostly because I drove past the outlet mall with a H&D store on my way home from the LSAT. The boxes were like $16 each or so. All 3 of my LOR writers expressed surprise that I thought I needed to give them anything, and they seemed to enjoy the treats.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:21 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:When I make my decision I'll probably get them like a coffee mug from the school or something like that to show my appreciation. I have strong relationships with both of my recommenders at my ugrad, so I know they'll appreciate the gesture too.

I like this idea! I might do that too, as a goodbye and final thank you when I quit my job to leave for Chicago.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:32 pm

I sent them baseball caps from the school I chose to attend.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:59 pm

I got them bags of chocolate from the local chocolatier.

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:01 pm

A $20 starbucks giftcard, since there is one on campus and I know both profs like to drink coffee.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”