IP law without a science background?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sangr

IP law without a science background?

Postby sangr » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:10 pm

so im looking into this but i feel there are ppl here who can answer me well for this.

is it possible to practice intellectual property law somehow without having a science background?

tourdeforcex

Re: IP law without a science background?

Postby tourdeforcex » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:59 pm

not an expert on subject

but from what i understand: patent law requires a science background. IP generally does not require but it may be suggested / everyone who does it has a science background.

TLs, correct me, as you will, if i am wrong.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:00 pm

You need a science background to sit for the patent bar

nerdherder

Postby nerdherder » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:34 am

There are three areas of patent law: prosecution, litigation, and licensing.
Prosecution, which is essentially working on patent applications, will almost always require a technical background. You need to pass the patent bar, which you need qualifications for. If you're interested in hearing about how to get around this, I can tell you more.

The other two areas do not require any type of background. Litigation involves representing parties in infringement lawsuits, and mainly only requires the lawyer to be able to understand the important legal facets of cases. Licensing is more business oriented- you essentially broker deals between patent owners and potential users.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:41 am

nerdherder wrote:There are three areas of patent law: prosecution, litigation, and licensing.
Prosecution, which is essentially working on patent applications, will almost always require a technical background. You need to pass the patent bar, which you need qualifications for. If you're interested in hearing about how to get around this, I can tell you more.

The other two areas do not require any type of background. Litigation involves representing parties in infringement lawsuits, and mainly only requires the lawyer to be able to understand the important legal facets of cases. Licensing is more business oriented- you essentially broker deals between patent owners and potential users.

This. But I would add that a tech background, or at least a passion for technology, is very beneficial for IP lit and licensing.

There is also a fourth type of IP law--intellectual property transaction (really a subset of corporate)--in which attorneys value companies' IP (mainly for M&A deals).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”