Pass/Not Pass Option Calculated into GPA?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JDhopeful7

Pass/Not Pass Option Calculated into GPA?

Postby JDhopeful7 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:05 am

When calculating my GPA for law school, how do I incorporate my Pass/No Pass Courses? The UC school I attend simply awards units for courses taken in this option and they are nonpunitive to my UC GPA. Also, I have three No Pass grades - two for four-unit courses and one for a research course which is one unit. I know that No Pass grades are looked down upon, but if they aren't calculated into my GPA, do they play a factor in admission decisions? I have heard that an excessive amount of Pass/No Pass courses may put up a red flag to adcomms (I won't be taking anymore of these courses btw), but are three No Pass grades going to hurt my chances?

Deuce

Re: Pass/Not Pass Option Calculated into GPA?

Postby Deuce » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:07 am

If you passed, good. If you didn't pass, that sucks. Either way it does not incorporate into your LSAC GPA.

JDhopeful7

Postby JDhopeful7 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:13 am

Curry

Postby Curry » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:26 am

Deuce wrote:If you passed, good. If you didn't pass, that sucks. Either way it does not incorporate into your LSAC GPA.

If you failed, it comes up as an F.

JDhopeful7

Postby JDhopeful7 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:38 am

Curry wrote:
Deuce wrote:If you passed, good. If you didn't pass, that sucks. Either way it does not incorporate into your LSAC GPA.

That is what I thought, but the No Pass cutoff is at a C. I had a C- and a D+ in the four unit courses and a D in the one-unit but those grades do not appear on my transcript and they did not negatively affect my GPA. I've heard conflicting information as to how it is calculated.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:52 am

JDhopeful7 wrote:
Curry wrote:

That is what I thought, but the No Pass cutoff is at a C. I had a C- and a D+ in the four unit courses and a D in the one-unit but those grades do not appear on my transcript and they did not negatively affect my GPA. I've heard conflicting information as to how it is calculated.

Only one way to find out.

Curry

Postby Curry » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:57 am

JDhopeful7 wrote:
Curry wrote:

Law School Predictor's GPA Calculator counts a NP as an F.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:45 am

Curry wrote:
JDhopeful7 wrote:
Curry wrote:

Law School Predictor's GPA Calculator counts a NP as an F.

This is the credited response, a pass is not calculated but a no pass will be an F. Unfortunately this will hurt you a lot, it seems.

JDhopeful7

Postby JDhopeful7 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:52 pm

Thanks for your responses. I assumed this was the case so that's how I calculated my GPA...it'll be a dismal 3.15 :(

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”