Thank you letter after interview?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AboveTheLawSchool

Thank you letter after interview?

Postby AboveTheLawSchool » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:01 pm

I recently had a phone interview with a law school that I am interested in attending. Is it appropriate for me to send a thank-you letter to my interviewer? Is it expected? Will a quick e-mail suffice? Thanks!

You Gotta Have Faith

Re: Thank you letter after interview?

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:13 pm

AboveTheLawSchool wrote:I recently had a phone interview with a law school that I am interested in attending. Is it appropriate for me to send a thank-you letter to my interviewer? Is it expected? Will a quick e-mail suffice? Thanks!

Are you on the waitlist, or was this an "I'm just interested" sort of interview? In any case, I think a full blown thank you card might be over-the-top.

I think if you do anything, a short email addressed to the person that interviewed you should suffice. Something along the lines of:

Dear X:
I would like to thank you for taking time to interview me over the telephone on (fill in date) about the possibility of attending (fill in law school). I remain very interested in your school and enjoyed hearing about the program/culture/life/academic (something simple and to the point).
Yours truly,
-AboveTheLawSchool

To answer your latter question, I'm not sure that it would be expected at that stage. Once you are a 2L doing OCI, it is often the norm to send a card if you have a callback. But I don't think a card is necessary for a phone interview. If you do anything at all, stick to a short email.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:14 pm

Eh, Case Western probably won't care. But I think it's a nice touch and a way to differentiate yourself and also correct any missteps you feel you might have made.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:15 pm

in this case i think an email would suffice

advice for life: a thank-you of some kind is always appropriate

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Oh, also - yeah, email will definitely be appropriate. They make the admittance decision following the phone interview within 4 hours and a week so email has the best chance of getting there prior to making the decision.

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:17 pm

fatduck, your avatar makes me dizzy, haha.

legal_eagle

Postby legal_eagle » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:31 pm

fatduck wrote:advice for life: a thank-you of some kind is always appropriate

TITCR

aspire2more

Postby aspire2more » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:43 am

Thank you notes will not hurt you as long as they are short, polite, and sincere. I know that for (professional) job interviews a thank-you note is seen as an unwritten requirement. There isn't an exception for telephone interviews either. Using that as my basis for opinion, I think that sending an email within 24-48 hours of the law school interview would be highly recommended. Some schools keep the thank-you notes in your file, some discard them immediately. Again, it's not going to hurt you either way as long as you write it appropriately and don't misspell words.

I sent a short, handwritten thank you note to one of the associates in an admissions office who arranged a great campus visit for me that included a tour, class, and one-on-one chats with current students. I have no idea if she read/kept the note or if it played any role whatsoever in the admissions decision. However, I was admitted two weeks later so it certainly did not hurt me!

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:37 am

I sent a thank you email to a Dean after an interview. Just a short note like suggested above that basically said, "I appreciated the opportunity to talk with you today about attending XXXX. (Another short sentence)

All I can say really is that it certainly didn't hurt me. I doubt it helped either.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:59 am

fatduck wrote:in this case i think an email would suffice

advice for life: a thank-you of some kind is always appropriate

Ya. Follow ups after important meetings are a great way to cement what happened in the meeting. Your instinct is right on here.

colakyngo

Postby colakyngo » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:16 am

AboveTheLawSchool wrote:I recently had a phone interview with a law school that I am interested in attending. Is it appropriate for me to send a thank-you letter to my interviewer? Is it expected? Will a quick e-mail suffice? Thanks!

If you want to get more materials that related to this topic, you can visit: Phone interview thank you letter (LinkRemoved)

Best regards.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”