Am I crazy?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JPrezy87

Re: Am I crazy?

Postby JPrezy87 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:20 pm

gwuorbust wrote:I spent 3 seconds looking at your OP. I saw the words TTT. Unless you absolutely have a job lined up at graduation or if you are going for completely free, yes I would say are crazy if you choose to enroll.

sounding a little snobbish aren't we?? there are some good T2-T3 schools out there ya know ;)

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:21 pm

JPrezy87 wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:I spent 3 seconds looking at your OP. I saw the words TTT. Unless you absolutely have a job lined up at graduation or if you are going for completely free, yes I would say are crazy if you choose to enroll.

sounding a little snobbish aren't we?? there are some good T2-T3 schools out there ya know ;)

Golden Gate is not one of them (interest indicated by OP)

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:21 pm

have you considered going part time and staying at your job?

JPrezy87

Postby JPrezy87 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:27 pm

seriously???? wrote:first, I would look into what the prospects are for PI and gov't for the T3 that offered a full ride. Also, any chance you could go part time, while still making that 75K?

ABA approved law schools don't allow students to work their first year, although some schools (like Seton Hall and Georgia State univ) have part time programs with classes in the evening, however you'll get your jd within four years instead of three usually. And what kind of job allows to make 75 grand a year part time, hell I want a job like that ;).

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:35 pm

JPrezy87 wrote:

I basically go to one (Tulane is at the cusp). And

1st: GGU is, as the poster above said, not one of the T2/3. It is TTTTT.

2nd: From GGU saying that he would make about 50k at graduation would be optimistic. Unemployed is more likely.

3rd: I know people here that would punch a baby seal for a 50k job. everything is not puppies and butterflies in the t-2. So if people in the t1/2 are struggling to find 50k jobs, it is reasonable to think that someone from GGU is going to have as good of a chance? Not at all. That is crazy talk.

4th: While the OP got into schools ranked in the 50-60 range, doesn't sound like he got a schly to those schools. So that means debt, debt, debt. I know many people here that are going to be 250k in debt when they graduate. they will be paying that off for the rest of their lives.

5th: that might be ok if you have NO other options. He can make more by staying where he is at than he could by going to law school.

6th: conclusion. For the OP and the law schools he has available, enrolling in law school would probably not be a good life decision. I know. I made a similar (though not nearly as bad) decision in enrolling.

123hope

Postby 123hope » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:38 pm

JPrezy87 wrote:
seriously???? wrote:first, I would look into what the prospects are for PI and gov't for the T3 that offered a full ride. Also, any chance you could go part time, while still making that 75K?

ABA approved law schools don't allow students to work their first year, although some schools (like Seton Hall and Georgia State univ) have part time programs with classes in the evening, however you'll get your jd within four years instead of three usually. And what kind of job allows to make 75 grand a year part time, hell I want a job like that ;).

I work in sales. I started at 40k a few years ago and could possibly make more in the future. But I hate it so it's not worth it to me, no matter how much money I am making.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:38 pm

JPrezy87 wrote:

At part time programs a lot of the people work full time during the day and go to class at night.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:39 pm

JPrezy87 wrote:

also, after 60 posts I would think that you've picked up that TLS is not really a "you can do it buddy!!" kinda place. as they say, if you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:41 pm

123hope wrote:
JPrezy87 wrote:

I work in sales. I started at 40k a few years ago and could possibly make more in the future. But I hate it so it's not worth it to me, no matter how much money I am making.

if you have business skills you could probably make a transition into some sort of management position.

JPrezy87

Postby JPrezy87 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:50 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
JPrezy87 wrote:

wow...a TTTTT? i thought the lowest ranking was TTTT (fourth tier:)

JPrezy87

Postby JPrezy87 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:51 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
JPrezy87 wrote:

also, after 60 posts I would think that you've picked up that TLS is not really a "you can do it buddy!!" kinda place. as they say, if you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen.

yea i figured out that but I try to be optimistic :).

123hope

Postby 123hope » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:52 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
JPrezy87 wrote:

6th: conclusion. For the OP and the law schools he has available, enrolling in law school would probably not be a good life decision. I know. I made a similar (though not nearly as bad) decision in enrolling.

What are the reasons you made a similar/bad decision in enrolling?
And I am a she, by the way. :)

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:55 pm

123hope wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:
JPrezy87 wrote:

A she? Get breast implants and tone up and you'll pull in six figures in sales easy.

JPrezy87

Postby JPrezy87 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:59 pm

JPrezy87 wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:
JPrezy87 wrote:

wow...a TTTTT? i thought the lowest ranking was TTTT (fourth tier:)

just did a little googling...Golden state is a tier 4 school...and I would avoid fourth tiers like the plague OP :).

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:28 pm

JPrezy87 wrote:wow...a TTTTT? i thought the lowest ranking was TTTT (fourth tier:)

naw, TTTTT are for the schools outside of the US that may get ABA accreditation soon. Instead of 50k graduates competing for 25k jobs, we'll have 150k graduates competing for 25k jobs. yay!!!!

JPrezy87

Postby JPrezy87 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:34 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
JPrezy87 wrote:wow...a TTTTT? i thought the lowest ranking was TTTT (fourth tier:)

naw, TTTTT are for the schools outside of the US that may get ABA accreditation soon. Instead of 50k graduates competing for 25k jobs, we'll have 150k graduates competing for 25k jobs. yay!!!!

yea but Golden Gate and Cal Western (both fourth tiers) are in California bro and Golden Gate is accredited as far as I know althought Im surprised it is. ...California is still part of the United States...it's not part of Mexico yet is it? :)

JPrezy87

Postby JPrezy87 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:39 pm

gwuorbust wrote:

And you right...there is a hell of a lawyer glut out there...fourth tier diploma mills (similar to diploma mill colleges) are pumping out way more graduates than the job market is asking for..it's a damn shame...I think the ABA should set a LSAT and GPA floor for every law school under its control...thatll solve the problem right then and there :).

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:42 pm

JPrezy87 wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:

yea but Golden Gate and Cal Western (both fourth tiers) are in California bro and Golden Gate is accredited as far as I know althought Im surprised it is. ...California is still part of the United States...it's not part of Mexico yet is it? :)

after I read this:

every school in Cali became TTTTT to me.

JPrezy87

Postby JPrezy87 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:45 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
JPrezy87 wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:

after I read this:

every school in Cali became TTTTT to me.

I stand corrected :)

rose711

Postby rose711 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:08 pm

I guess you can assume people are bitter and lazy. Or, you can do a lot of research that goes beyond asking your friends for advice. Friends usually encourage people to go for their dreams. Would you really expect your friends to advise you to stay in a job you hate? Even if they think you will be great, the fact they are doing well doesn't apply to what might happen to you unless they are going to hire you. ( I do know someone who won the last powerball lottery- they just got a check for a lump sum $44 million after taxes - but that I am not going to use that as a reason to start buying tickets. )

You should do as much research on the job situation for your school, this economy and the local economy where you want to practice as possible. Find out who went to OCI there and then talk to those firms or at least research them. Look at a list of all the law firms in the area and see if they hired (NALP directory should help.) Check out the school's clinics and see what practical experience you might get. Don't assume that hustle can find you a job that doesn't exist. It won't.

I think the main lesson to learn from this forum is to use extreme caution in taking debt assuming that you will do well in school and/or assuming you will end up with a better financial situation than if you didn't go to law school. And, the second lesson is that law school is really difficult, in some ways a crap shoot, so it is only worth it if you want to be a lawyer. The third lesson is that everyone in law school is smart and works hard, so don't assume you will outwork or just be smarter than everyone else, every single law student thinks that before they went to school.

JPrezy87

Postby JPrezy87 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:52 pm

the

adt231

Postby adt231 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:34 pm

123hope wrote: I am a little bit older and of the mindset that if you want something, you have to work your ass off and get it.

This is true for probably at least 99% of the population, even the really smart ones.

The problem: many people who have this view make the mistake (which may include you, but I hope not) of understanding this cliche as "the working your ass off" being sufficient for getting what you want. When, of course, we all know that it is just a necessary condition for getting what you want (for most people -- not all of the trust fund kids). Don't make this mistake.

JPrezy87

Postby JPrezy87 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:52 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
123hope wrote:
JPrezy87 wrote:I spent 3 seconds looking at your OP. I saw the words TTT. Unless you absolutely have a job lined up at graduation or if you are going for completely free, yes I would say are crazy if you choose to enroll.

JPrezy87

Postby JPrezy87 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:56 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
123hope wrote:
JPrezy87 wrote:

A she? Get breast implants and tone up and you'll pull in six figures in sales easy.

Hmmm..123 might the lawyer suing you for sexual harassment some day :P

JK...gorgeous women do make the best salesmen don't they? :lol: :lol:

jjasso1018

Postby jjasso1018 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:59 pm

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”