Residency

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lhess218

Residency

Postby lhess218 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:14 pm

I'm a military spouse, and even though I've registered to vote in Virginia, have an ID in Virginia, etc, I'm a little worried that I may not be counted for residency in the state because we're posted in Kentucky now. Additionally, I'll be applying to law schools while he's in Afghanistan and Uncle Sam will have moved us to Georgia.

So where would I be counted a resident- Virginia, where all of my documents are from, or Georgia, where we'd be living, or Kentucky, where I'm living now? I ask because I'm looking at UVA, William and Mary, and UGA, and I'd like to know where I would have a higher chance of being considered a resident.

Thanks!

RTFM

Re: Residency

Postby RTFM » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:36 pm

Not sure how much I can help, but I do know that different states have different residency requirements (e.g., even though I've lived in a different state than my mom for two years I count as a resident in IL because she lives there; I don't, however, count as a resident for the state that my dad lives in).

Your best bet is checking out the residency requirements for each state (the schools should have it posted somewhere on their website). You could also call the schools and ask if you'd qualify for residency given your situation.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”